Did you have AC while growing up? Do you have it now? Can you live without it? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We never had it growing up , but now i have one window unit upstairs and i turn it on high and shut all of the blinds when it is really hot (it gets hot and humid here in Richmond, VA ...at night i treat myself to the cool master br , i go under the covers YUM

I have to say that it makes me angry how many stores over ac their buildings, its like the movies, you have to bring a sweater everywhere. I must add that i'm very cold natured.

Whatever will be, already is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Grew up in Iowa. Didn't have AC when I was really young, but I really liked it when we finally got it!

I lived in FL for a while, and our A/C was lousy...plus we really couldn't afford to run it much. That was pretty nasty. Then I moved back to IA, to a house that didn't have AC, and it must have been a record hot summer - I baked! I had trouble sleeping. There was no breeze, and I'd just lie on the bed and sweat.

I spent four years in southern CA, not too far inland, and our apartment there was fairly cool. We rarely ran the AC, and when we did, it was more for our dog's benefit.

Now, I'm in Indiana...and I'm happy to have the AC. I usually set it at about 76 or so. I could do without it, but I'm happy for the convenience.
#63 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up in Texas with no A/C. Well, we had it, but my parents wouldn't use it except when we had company, which was rare. We lived across the street from a pool, though, and spent our summers over there. When we came home for meals, we would sit around in our wet bathing suits with box fans blowing on us.

My parents even special ordered a station wagon with no A/C. We used to drive to Tennessee every summer with only an ice chest to cool us down. Every two hours or so, we would each get a cup full of ice cubes (no water!)

I still live in Texas, and I do use the A/C in the summer, though less than most people I know. I keep the thermostat set around 81 degrees (can't find the degree symbol on my keyboard) and use ceiling fans. I open the windows in the morning and would do so at night if I felt safe.

I, too, pack a sweater every time I go to a restaurant or store.

And I do have A/C in my car, and I use it. For some reason, driving makes me really hot!

BTW, my parents now use the A/C too, at least occasionally. I think the heat bothers them more now that they are in their 70s.

#64 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Banned

It seems as though those people who wear sweaters into the grocery store in the summer (and I see you all the time and shake my head) don't *need* ac the way people who wear shorts and a tank top in the grocery store in the summer need AC.

I keep my temp at 65 in the winter, bet those sweater in summer wearing women couldn't handle a 65 house in winter any better than *I* can tolerate the triple H's in summer.

DB
#65 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 AM

i grew up with out it. i don't like it. even in nashville i would n't use it in the room. i think it is nasty and what in gods' name does it emit into the air? that i'd like to know. and it smells weird. i did n't even have it in nicaragua. i just drank alot of water and that cooled me off.
#66 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM

I grew up in western NY, no A/C. We got an A/C unit in our dining room when I was in high school. It was pretty much my mom's A/C unit, though.

I lived in Washington, DC - we had no A/C in the first place I lived, and central A/C in the second. I am not all that heat tolerant so I liked the central!

Then moved to Minneapolis - no A/C, could have used it sometimes but we suffered through.

Then to Baltimore - had window units and they were desperately needed, esp when I was pregnant. 105 degrees? What's up with that???

Now in VT we have 2 A/C units. We didn't even put them in the windows last summer, but they're in now and I'm happy about it. O'course I'm 8 mos pg too. Otherwise I could probably get by fine with just a fan and a big, big pitcher of ice water.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#67 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:14 PM

We didn't have ac when I was little...but we lived in AK so there wasn't much need for it, ykwim? :LOL We've always had ac while living down here though. Our ac in the house that we're living in now doesn't work all that great, but it's better than the trailer (read: hot tin can) we were living in before, and certainly better than nothing at all. I'm not sure if I could live without it down here. I'm not a desert rat.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#68 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Banned

I could live without it, but I don't think folks around me would survive for very long.
We are in VA, hot and sticky. I grew up with it but we had to turn it off at night. Summer = wet pillow to me.
I am pg right now and am running the AC high with little guilt; normally I would at least feel a little bad about it.
#69 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Another NE gal here and we never had AC growing up and nobody I knew had it either, nor did any of the stores or restaurants. But then again my town still had party lines when I was in middle school and didn't get touch tone service until I was in college.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#70 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM

It has been swelterning here lately, too, and this has been a topic of lively conversation in my house (translation, dh and I are bickering about it!).

I grew up without it. I'm in my mid 40s. We haven't ever owned a vehicle with AC until I basically insisted, against dh's wishes, that our last car have it. Dh drives this car most of the time, BTW.

Dh has a thing about AC. We hardly ever fight, but this is one issue... In the past, I've nagged him to get a window AC unit, but there is always some little problem with installing it. So, over the 24 years of our marriage, I'd say we had AC in maybe two summers. He claims we can't use the unit we own in our current house, but we have more than enough money to buy a new one if the old one is the wrong size. However, if I bring it up, he gets too weird for words. I can't explain it.

I'm currently going through chemo for breast cancer. I have a much harder time than usual dealing with the heat. I told him at the beginning of the summer that I was commandeering his car with the AC once he was done with teaching. He didn't say much, but I can tell he wasn't thrilled.

Today was his first day driving my car. I talked to him this morning and he was whining about how hot it was to drive, and he had the nerve to say that my feeling sick in the heat probably had nothing to do with the chemo--anyone would feel sick with no AC!

Normally, he is the sweetest, most considerate man on earth. I wish I understood why AC is such a touchy subject!
#71 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannan
i grew up with out it. i don't like it. even in nashville i would n't use it in the room. i think it is nasty and what in gods' name does it emit into the air? that i'd like to know. and it smells weird.
My window-units do not smell weird. The central-air units I've encountered do not smell weird.

I don't see anything "nasty" about it. It emits super-cooled air into the room, which especially helps the elderly, babies, and small children. The elderly often can't discern when they are overheated or underhydrated, as their internal "thermometers" don't work as well as they used to. Overheating is a serious risk for babies (I think it's a SIDS risk). And it's a risk for small children as well, b/c, again, they don't really pay attention to their need for cooling off and hydrating.

A/C also helps cut down on the growth of mold.
#72 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Didn't have it growing up, sat around in our underwear (my kids were mortified at that-prudes!) I remember driving the 8+ hours from NY to NH in the station wagon with the windows open, UGH

Now we have a window one in living room and our bedroom- if its beastly still at night, kids camp out in living room. Otherwise we open the windows.

I used to never run it in the car but now I do. I think ~max~ said it....the older I get, the more I cant stand the heat.

Humidity, thats the kicker! ugh, 95 today with humidity in 70's!! I LOVE MY AIR!!!
#73 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 06:01 PM

I think it smells weird, too. It's a chemical-y and musty odor that folks seem to get used to when they are exposed to a lot of it.

I wonder what it emits into the air, too. AC is great for seniors and invalids, but I really think most of the rest of us would survive just fine without it. The only place I'd imagine would be truly unlivable without AC is the concrete jungle that people call Los Angeles-- but that has more to do with the ubiquitous pavement and car fumes than with serious heat issues.
#74 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
I think it smells weird, too. It's a chemical-y and musty odor that folks seem to get used to when they are exposed to a lot of it.
I completely DISagree with this. I live in a 4-season climate, and our summer is brief. So we don't use the A/C for very long (about 3 months a year). After not using A/C for 9 months throughout fall, winter, and spring, we re-install the window units. I have never once smelled anything coming from the units, even on the first night of using it after 9 months of NOT using it.

Perhaps you are thinking of the old-fashioned window units from the 1980s and previous? Ours are all brand new, from 2001 and later, and there aren't any weird smells.
#75 of 75 Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 PM

You could be right about the older models being smelly-- it's been quite awhile since I had AC, obviously.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page