Did you have AC while growing up? Do you have it now? Can you live without it? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today it almost hit 100°F here in Chicagoland. 100°F! How did I survive before air conditioning? I didn't have it as a child, yet I couldn't imagine having my DD in an un AC'd car or room.

Did you have AC while growing up? Do you have it now? Can you live without it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We didn't have AC as a kid (lived in IL) but we do have AC here, living in AZ.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:26 AM

chersolly, I dint know you were inChicago...I am just up the road. If you want to meet some MDC mamas we are going to Unity Park this MOnday at 10:30

Anyways, I grew up in MIchigan and we didnt have ac. But we havei t now. Just 2 small ac's which are running on high to keep our house cooler than it is outside. I was taking a walk tonight and when cars drove by I could see the humidity

darkstar

#4 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:28 AM

yes, yes, and no.

i'm in northern california, but not very northern ~ in the foothills to be exact ~ and it gets hot. not to mention, our apartment heats up with everyone else's heat, as we're on the top floor. (blah.)

so, no, we couldn't survive. and after working all day outside in the heat, i wouldn't *want* to not have A/C! seriously.

there is nothing like coming home after working in giant metal bins outside in the heat, and walking inside to a deliciously cool home and taking a cold shower, throwing on a cold satin robe and relaxing with the kids.
#5 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had it growing up, but my mom was freaky about using it. Like, only if she was hot, on a Thursday, between 5pm and 8pm. We spent a lot of time hanging out in our basement, it was chilly down there.

I'm not sure how I would do now without ac. My dh and turned me into a polar bear and I like it chilly inside now. I used to not mind the heat at all. Since I'm pregnant and quite crabby, the thought of no ac makes me want to cry. The 20 foot walk to my car from the hair salon made me all sweaty today.
#6 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 AM

I grew up in south Louisiana, and didn't have air conditioning until I had graduated from college. It was hot in the summer. I could do without it now, but it is much less comfortable.
#7 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I grew up in this town and we didn't have AC but back then you didn't need it. The highest the temps used to be was like 90F, over the last 20 years the temps have been rising, we had a lot of 106F days last year I'm trying to figure out what to do about this summer, last summer I lived in the bedroom with my AC on full to keep the room cool while the rest of the house was still 85-90F at 10pm. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the $ to get AC for the living room this summer.

Seriously?
#8 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 AM

We had air off and on when I was a kid. Depended on which family memeber was keeping me. My Foster Mom had air but was weird about it. It was on 78 deg between the hours of 8am and 8pm. If you got hot at night you opened your window and slept in your underwear. We have air now and I love it. 72degrees if you're cold put on a sweater :LOL
#9 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:42 AM

FYI"There are high rises in NYC (scattered apartment buildings) which were made soem time ago and the electric was never upgraded to handle air conditioning. Yep. Imagine that hell.

We did not have it half of my childhood and our 2nd floor was HORRENDOUSLY hot, downstairs not so bad. Yet my parents would nto allow us to sleep downstairs-wtf was up with that?
#10 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:47 AM

I am in Chicagoland too!

The first half of my life we lived in a 100 yr old farmhouse, so definitely no a/c. We move to a house with central a/c but my dad would hardly ever allow it be turned on!

We have our a/c on all the time. Our windows/screens are so old that we can't open the windows for fear our cats getting out.

I love my a/c!
#11 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:51 AM

We got it when I was about 10. My mother was also weird about it...she'd only allow for it to be set at 77-78 and then shut it off at night?!?!?!?! I can't sleep when it's HOT! HELLO!!!???

We have it now, and no I don't think I could live without it! I like to keep the house betweeb 70-72. During the summer I am always in pants and long sleeve shirts!!! Then I step outside and roast!
#12 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
We had A/C, but we were never allowed to turn it on. Too expensive...It was in L.A. in a large home ... a little window unit. :.

DH and I never have had A/C in our cars.

In our homes...

#1 house- small house, small window unit used sparingly.

#2 house - large home, with swamp cooler that did not work very well.

#3 house - very large home in which A/C went out soon after we moved in...we did not replace it until we had been there eighteen years, and DH was dying.

It works wonderfully.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#13 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
We have air now and I love it. 72degrees if you're cold put on a sweater :LOL
I grew up with AC. My Dad kept the house COLD in the summer. I've always hated the heat, and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I just can't take heat or humidity.

The only time I lived without AC was in college (except for summer camps). Not many student houses in Ann Arbor had AC. There was only one summer that I missed it there.

Dh likes our house to be really cold, and now I'm used to it that way. We used to argue over the thermostat, but not anymore. Although that is probably a sign that I really need to lose weight! Too much insulation!
#14 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 AM

yes, for the most part, not in a million years!

I keep our AC pretty high though, right around 76-77 and am perfectly comfortable. We had AC growing up till we moved when I was 13 then we had window AC only downstairs...my room was upstairs, we slept with the fans on and a box fan in the window. When my mom and step-dad#1 divorced and her and step-dad#2 got married poof we had a brand spanken new window a/c up stairs too! Only catch was it was in my youngest brothers room and if you wanted to partake of the coolness you had to sleep with your door open. I have the utmost respect for people who suffer through summer, but in Iowa where the humidity kills you...I just couldn't do it. It was 95 degrees out yesterday! 101 with the Heat Index! Poor DH in that hot factory with no a/c...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#15 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:25 AM

No, No and yes but...
We only had fans when I was little (first in northern CA on the divide then here in southern Idaho) We don't have a/c now and I don't want it but I badly want a good swamp cooler. Right now we are getting by with open windows and a couple fans but July always hits triple digets and it's almost here. My living room and kitchen face the southwest and they get really hot. When we can we spend time in our unfinished basement because it's nice year round. But mostly we just make do and it really sucks.

:
#16 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
i'm in NC and grew up with it, but my relatives in the mts of Va didn't have it. i was always a little taken aback when we would go visit them in the summer and it would be so hot in the their houses. my dad used to like the house really cool in the summer and really hot in the winter :LOL . we tend to keep it a little more moderate here. comfortable for shorts and t-shirts in the summer and for cool weather clothes in the winter. i wish i didn't have to have it, but i know DH would be in misery without it. he's much more of a cool weather person. i would be pretty pissy if it got too hot in the house, too. i do remember going to summer camp as a kid and it was 106 degrees the week i was there and there was no AC. i thought it was fun! this was in the swampy humid piney woods, too.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#17 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 AM

Sometimes we had it, sometimes we didn't. When we lived in Louisiana we didn't, but we had high ceilings, fans, shade, and lots of windows. When I lived in New Orleans as an adult, I also didn't have it, but it was manageable. I could definitely live without it now and, if I weren't renting, I'd probably rarely turn it on.
#18 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom
The only time I lived without AC was in college (except for summer camps). Not many student houses in Ann Arbor had AC. There was only one summer that I missed it there.

Dh likes our house to be really cold, and now I'm used to it that way. We used to argue over the thermostat, but not anymore. Although that is probably a sign that I really need to lose weight! Too much insulation!

Yeah I have too much insulation too...but I'm going to blame my intolerance to heat on my thyroid issues :LOL If you are still in Ann Arbor we're not too far from one another
#19 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM

I grew up without it... but then, I grew up in Alaska. hee hee No need for it where I was.

DH & I have had it some places, other places without it. We lived in Tennessee one summer without it when DS #1 was little - the worst time was in the car without it in the middle of the day... ugh.

We are in the northeast now and don't have in our house or in our van. *sigh* We are hoping to get a window unit though at some point. I miss it!
#20 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:50 AM

I grew up without it. We have a few window units but I rarely turn them on. I do use it in the car now if the kids request it (especially after DS#1 has cycling training).

Frankly, going in and out of the AC makes me feel rotten, so I'd rather totally go without it and be able to go out and hang the wash and walk around town without feeling like a dishrag.
#21 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:52 AM

We had it periodically depending on where we lived..

We do not have it now..

I live with out it with no problem most of the time..

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#22 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:52 AM

We didn't have AC growing up. We lived in Southern California, and it got hot, so we were hot a lot.

I remember tossing and turning many a night, too hot to sleep.

We have AC now, and it does come in handy, but it isn't as hot where we are (near the coast) and I could survive without it. I'm not sure dh could. He grew up with AC, and he's always the first to turn on the AC or the heat. We had heat when I was growing up, but money was an issue, so my mom turned the heat on as a last resort.

Not such an issue in Southern Cal, but when we moved to Northern Cal it could get pretty chilly in the house.
#23 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 02:34 AM

I had it while growing up, but where I grew up, it easily reached temps of 105-110 in the summer. I remember one year, my dad tried to save money by not turning on the AC at all, and we survived, but we stayed out of the house as much as possible until it was time to go to bed.

I live in a different town now, but the summers are easily as hot as they were where I grew up, and we have AC now. I usually leave the AC off until the late afternoon/early evening, and then I only run it for a little bit before bed. As it gets hotter outside, I'll have to switch it on eariler, but right now the hottest it's been has been probably in the low 90's, and the house stays reasonably cool with windows open and fans going. We're situated on a lot that gives us a very nice cross-breeze, and it's usually cool in the evenings here.
#24 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 02:52 AM

I grew up in Ann Arbor and did not have AC. I now live in VERY northern MI and no one has it here.....even major businesses. But it was 105 degrees two days ago. MISERABLE. I am still recovering. I never think I want it, but 2-3 days out of the year I could really use it!
#25 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 02:54 AM

No we did not have A/C growing up. And I live in hot as hell Texas. However we can not live without it now. I developed asthma when pg with my 2nd & she also has asthma. Humidity is no fun! We'd have way too many breathing problems without it here especially with the molds being so high.

*Momma to a spunky 11 year old & diva 9 year old
*Proud wife of "The Rock"
#26 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 02:56 AM

I didn't have it growing up, in some of the trailers we had a swamp cooler but that was it.

Now I can't live without it, I'm hot blooded. I can't even wear sweaters in the winter, I wear t-shirts.
#27 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 03:12 AM

Growing up ( mostly) in CA, GA and VT - no we didn't have AC
Living in Boston now - No we don't have AC
I guess I can live without it

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#28 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't have it as a kid, don't have it now, and hate AC. It's easier up here in AK than in other places, obviously, but I think people are quite wasteful with it. Like keeping the house at 70 degrees when it's 95 outside? How is that helpful?

Plus, it makes acclimating to the temp outside totally impossible. I hate that clammy AC feeling while inside, and hate the misery of then going outside.

Nobody had AC on my granddad's farm in Oklahoma, but I don't ever really remember being miserable and sweaty and hot like I am when I've been staying in an airconditioned hotel down there.
#29 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Grew up with it. Have it now. Would like to think I could go without, and make do with ceiling fans and smart shading, etc. I wouldn't go without AC in the car, though. Sacramento in the summer time is just too hot.

My father grew up in southern Utah, a little tiny house (like 700 sq. feet). He said the summers were near dreadful. But they thrived there and he still doesn't mind pottering around in the garden, mid-day, here in 100' Sacramento. They're a bunch of skinny Italians in his family, which might have something to do with it.

Dh is Swedish with some "insulation" and wouldn't think of going without AC.

#30 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 08:30 AM

I had it growing up. We went w/o it last year here but we just bought a couple window units. The kids were overheating and not sleeping. This summer is much hotter than last years.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page