Is it cheating... - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Is it cheating to use an auction sniping service?
Yes 23 28.75%
No 55 68.75%
The necessary "other" 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
to use auction sniping services.

DH thinks it is; I think he's an idiot.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what's an auction sniping service?
#3 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

auctionsniper.com

It goes in and places a bid for you in the last few seconds of an ebay auction

: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 AM

I say no. To me, cheating is doing something "against the rules". Since auction snipers are allowed, I don't see them as cheating.
#5 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 AM

:LOL I think it's cheating
#6 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I feel like. Who am I cheating? Someone too silly to figure out how to use an auction sniping service, or too cheap to pay? It's not like ebay is a sport, with a sportsmanlike code of conduct.

Check out the

#7 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
:LOL I think it's cheating
OK, but why? All DH can come up with is "it's not fair," but when he sounds like the six-year-old I tend to tune him out. :LOL

Check out the

#8 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:35 AM

at a live auction can you get a sniper service after you've placed an initial bid?
I dunno... I've never been to one.

but, at ebay, the fun of the game is to bid wisely and win without overpaying, and catching it at the last minute to have a bidding war against ... who? a sniper? :LOL

I set my Outlook calendar to alarm me to go to ebay if I'm bidding on a hot item.
(not that this happens very often...)
#9 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

But ebay isn't a live auction, and just because someone else sees it as a sport, does that mean I have to adhere to some sort of unwritten code of conduct?

Really, I think this is the next big ethical dilemma of our time.

Check out the

#10 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 AM

OTOH if you want to buy or sell stock, you can tell the broker to not go above or below a certain number, after you have placed the original order to buy or sell.

I guess a sniper is like a broker :LOL
#11 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:47 AM

Of course it isn't. The highest bid wins, no matter when it's placed.
#12 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. We're neck and neck.

This is going to be hotter than the bitch poll, I can tell.

Check out the

#13 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 04:02 AM

I don't think I really care much either way...

But I am curious. If you place a proxy bid and the sniper doesn't outbid your highest bid, can it still win the auction? If not, then I think it's not a big deal. Decide what you're willing to bid; bid by proxy and let it go.

Sarah
#14 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 05:03 AM

I don't see how it could be seen as cheating? I mean, the highest bid still wins right? Maybe a little unfair, but not cheating! :LOL I've been using esnipe since the begining when it was free and I think it's helped me win many, many times. I can't remember the last time I actually used ebay to bid on an auction, I always snipe it even if there are no bids, cause ya never know! Honestly, I couldn't imagine NOT sniping, its cheap and it keeps you from having to watch the auction. There's just no way I can guarantee computer time these days, KWIM? And I'm waaaayyy to forgetful to remember to keep my eye on an auction!
#15 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 05:10 AM

It is cheating when your snipe takes what I want!

I honestly hate sniping. But Iv'e done it : I'm a hypocrit.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#16 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 05:15 AM

: Hope it wasn't me that sniped you! : I do feel kind of bad about it, sometimes. But sniping is available to everyone. It's not a secret, come on over to the dark side, won't you?
#17 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 10:33 AM

I don't think it's cheating at all. I voted the necessary other. I am new to using ebay and am enjoying the bidding process- you know, watching the item, hoping no onw out bids me... But, I am quite sure one day I will find an item I really, really can't live without and will pay the money to use a sniping service.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#18 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM

I voted "no"
#19 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 11:24 AM

someone clue me in. ??? why can't you just bid like everyone else, and set your highest bid at the highest price you would want to pay for whatever it is? If someone wants to pay more than that, you already made up your mind you weren't going to spend that much on it, so it shouldn't bother you to get outbid. I know, in reality, I've paid way more than my original highest bid, but I always feel guilty about it later.

I just don't get the whole watching an auction thing, prices going way way up at the very end of an auction, sniping services. Why? Is it all about the excitement? Is it like in the old days when people would line up outside the department stores before a big sale, waiting for the store to open? Does it mean you end up paying too much for whatever it is you were wanting? Or does it mean you are trying to cheat the seller out of a decent price?

anyway, to answer the op, if you do it in an attempt to get out of paying a decent price for something, yes, it's cheating. not illegal, but still not right.
#20 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 11:34 AM

It's not cheating to sit and watch an auction and bid in the last 2 seconds. So why would it be cheating to ask someone else to do that for you??

Sniper services are available to anybody, right?

OT - I remember seeing something on TV about a company offered to stand in line for people. If you were a busy office exec. and you knew you'd spend your whole lunch hour in line at the fabulous deli down the block, you could hire someone to stand there for you. Same with concert tickets, amusement park rides, etc. Weird.
#21 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
someone clue me in. ??? why can't you just bid like everyone else, and set your highest bid at the highest price you would want to pay for whatever it is? If someone wants to pay more than that, you already made up your mind you weren't going to spend that much on it, so it shouldn't bother you to get outbid. I know, in reality, I've paid way more than my original highest bid, but I always feel guilty about it later.
Sometimes it's a matter of timing, and the computer can get the bid in quicker than I can. Sometimes it's a matter of time, like when I can't be around when an auction is ending. It's also a matter of keeping my cards close to my vest, since my bid isn't in the ebay system, so no one knows what my top bid is and if they've surpassed it, or that I am in the running.

Quote:
anyway, to answer the op, if you do it in an attempt to get out of paying a decent price for something, yes, it's cheating. not illegal, but still not right.
Well, a seller sets the opening bid and, if they choose, a reserve, so how could you possibly be cheating them out of a decent price? Isn't Ebay Selling 101 "Never start an item at a price lower than you are willing to let it go for."?

Check out the

#22 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 AM

I love auction sniping. The price for the service is really reasonable, and I don't have to watch the auction. I've converted several people to the dark side... once you try it you may never go back.
#23 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
I just don't get the whole watching an auction thing, prices going way way up at the very end of an auction, sniping services. Why? Is it all about the excitement? Is it like in the old days when people would line up outside the department stores before a big sale, waiting for the store to open? Does it mean you end up paying too much for whatever it is you were wanting? Or does it mean you are trying to cheat the seller out of a decent price? ...
LOL..you ever been over to the diapering board?
#24 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 12:18 PM

I voted no...

But, I've always wanted to type this

sniper, noooooo sniping!
#25 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWillHunter
I voted no...

But, I've always wanted to type this

sniper, noooooo sniping!

:LOL
#26 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don't think it's cheating. It's really not any different than me going in at the last minute and putting in a proxy bid myself, which I do anyway. I'd just be paying someone else to do it for me.
#27 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWillHunter
sniper, noooooo sniping!
:LOL Ahhh that was cute.

I think it's cheating, evil and wrong. And the reason why? Umm, yeah OK it's because I'm too cheap to pay for it.

Great for nature studies!
Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#28 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 PM

I do think it's cheating in a steroids for athletes sort of way. Yes, the snipe may be available for everyone, but not every can afford the service. if it were free then I would say yes, it's fair and available for all. Those too stupid to sign up for it will have to do without that new 100 dollar Fuzzi Bunz
#29 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
I do think it's cheating in a steroids for athletes sort of way. Yes, the snipe may be available for everyone, but not every can afford the service. if it were free then I would say yes, it's fair and available for all. Those too stupid to sign up for it will have to do without that new 100 dollar Fuzzi Bunz
It's only 25 cents for items up to 24.99 and then 1% of total fee past that. That is cheap! Who has the money to buy anything off of ebay if they can't afford that?
#30 of 38 Old 07-16-2005, 09:04 PM

It's not for me to judge what others can or cannot AFFORD. Is it?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page