is five days too long for a fever? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
milo first got this fever saturday night after i put him to bed, so it's been five full days now and i'm starting to feel kinda freaked about it. i took him to the doc yesterday and she looked at his ears and throat and listened to his breathing and it seems like it's just a cold. and i actually have it too now, and it is probably just a cold. but it's really starting to freak me out how long it's going on, yk? and he's seeming more and more beaten down by it. and now i'm on day number three of a 101* fever myself and i'm starting to feel beaten down.

so i guess i'm just wondering if any of your little ones have had fevers that lasted this long.

fwiw, i have been giving him baby tylenol because he is just so miserable and i'm kinda regretting it. maybe if i had just let it run it's course...

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:35 AM

I'm sorry your little guy is ailing.

Five days with a fever does seem a little strange. Is the Tylenol helping at all? My DD has never really had a high fever, so I can't offer much help, just support and concern.

I clicked on the link in your sig, Milo is a cutie! Hope he breaks that fever soon.
#3 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 AM

Ohhh, poor little guy!

I am a little paranoid when it comes to fevers. . .I would take him in if it were me. . . .

Hope he gets better VERY soon.

#4 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 AM

I think you hit it with the Letting it run it's course intuition. I find that you can juggle a fever around for a long time if the body is on the Tylenol rollercoaster. It takes the body more energy to rev up its temp after it is lowered by a fever reducer than it does to let it run its course. I would say drink some strong peppermint tea and take a very warm bath than wrap up in a blanket and sweat and hopefully your body will get rid of the buggs! I feel for you It is hard to not get propper sleep and take care of sick kids. I do think it is normal and you should try not to worry. Lemon Balm makes a great fever tea for kids.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#5 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:39 AM

Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever in the Islets of Langerhans
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Maybe give him a bath to keep his fever down or cool him down...it is summer and there are lots of odd fevers around...keep water in him and sponge him...if the doctor did not find anything out of the ordinary, then just do the regular things...and take care of yourself too, as you sound like you may need to!!

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#6 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:41 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If you and he can keep drinking plenty, and no new symptoms are appearing, and you've seen the doc - well there's not much choice put to see it through. Balancing taking Tylenol for comfort with letting the fever cook the microbes out is always a hard call.

Lukewarm baths feel nice, popcicles made from juice; being sick together can be sort of cuddly, misery loves company...

Worrying doesn't do much good - treat yourself and your babe the best you can, and remember, this too shall pass.

All the best.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#7 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 AM

My babe just got over a five day fever last month. Just when I thought it was something serious it went away. Hopefully your ds just a virus that will go away soon, but trust your mommy gut for sure! I remember looking on Dr. Sears sight and it had some reasuring info on it! Hope he feels better soon.
#8 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas!

it's funny, before having a child, i would've told you i would not give my kids something like tylenol unless it was a dangerously high fever. i still think the theory is totally right, but it's so hard to follow through on. and even if i could get past the fact that he is soooo miserable without it, i'd have to take his temp if i didn't give it to him and that is a nightmare (takes both of us, one to hold him down while he's kicking and screaming and one to take the temp -- rectally, is there a better way?). it's hard to imagine putting him through it when i could give him tylenol and then he feels better, at least for a while. ugh. this is definately one of the hard parts of this job.

but, at any rate, the tylenol does make him feel quite a bit better and bring his fever down.

#9 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 AM

I hope he is better quick, both of you actually! . He is a older than my dd by about a week or so. Poor bub! A fever can last that long, push fluids and keep an eye out and he should be ok.
#10 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 AM

jayne, i just wanted to pop in and say i'm sorry milo is still sick (and you too!). i always do underarm temperatures - you have to add a degree or two to it to make it the equivilent of a rectal (can't remember how much right now, but i'm sure you can do a search on line and find out), but it's soooooo much easier. I would give the tylenol, but only when he's really feeling out of it. if he seems to be coping, let it go.
#11 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

katsam, i missed your post before i posted, iykwim. thanks! it's good to know it's happened to someone else without too much drama. i'll check out dr. sears' site.

jeri, thanks. i'll try the underarm thing. i've been afraid it wouldn't be accurate enough. but i spose it's all a crap shoot anyway. lol i've been wondering how your test went today... milo's asleep w/o me right now, which is a small miracle, so i'll have to do a search to see if you posted about it.

#12 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

i think we're getting better! milo still feels a little warm, but not nearly as bad and he's started caughing stuff up, so i feel like there's a little progress. he's standing at the front door now waiting excitedly for the garbage truck, and now he's bringing me his shoes -- so he's acting more like himself. don't think we're going out today, though. lol

#13 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM

glad to hear it jayne!

as for my test, although my hands feel like pin cushions (i have hard to stick veins, so it took a couple of sticks per draw, and i had to have four draws!), it was mostly okay. i felt sick and light headed, but i didn't vomit, which is good. I dont' have any results yet. They said they *could* come in today, but probably not until early next week.
#14 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 PM

My dd who is about your son's age just went through this and we think she had roseola. She's old for it but she fit almost all of the symptoms. She had a high fever (104° +) that responded to fever reducers and no other significant symptoms. Once the fever broke she developed a rash on her torso, arms, and legs that cleared up in a day or two. I was quite relieved when we finally figured out what was causing it. I too was concerned after she had a fever for five days. Hope you're both on the mend!

KT : - Smitten mama to J & M : Looking for a local group in SEPA? - See my homepage!
#15 of 15 Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Glad Milo is better. It stinks to be sick in the summer heat.

On lingering fevers: I have learned that when there is the fever and no other symptom for several days, suspect a urinary tract infection. That has happened with DD #2 two times.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page