Travelling w/toddler & Baby - Questions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-19-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay! My best friend is getting married in June and besides her son, our family is the only other people inviting/attending. (OT - And is that the right subject/verb agreement? Family is singular, correct? Then why does it look so odd?)

The wedding is in the Bahamas, we'll need passports, when should we begin that process? Dh & I just need to update ours, how long for the kids?

Ds#1 will have his own seat, should we get one for ds#2 (he'll be ~10 months old)?

Should the boys ride in their carseats on the plane? (Britax Marathons)

Does each passenger get a carryon? If we buy 4 seats, would we get to bring 4 carry-ons? Or would they not count the baby?

Should we look at getting some sort of suite? We sleep in a king at home so will need that size bed for us and we'll have bf's son (12yo) stay w/us a couple of nights so they can get a sort of honeymoon.

We'll be gone for a week - we cd at home, should I bring disp. dipes? How do you pack that many? Would it make sense to ship some to the hotel before we get there?

We're starting to budget and I'm just trying to think of all the expenses that we're likely to incur. Trip (hotel/airfare/all food & drink) car to/from airport, passport application fee, disp dipes/shipping (?), swimsuits, sunscreen, that's all I can think of that we might need to get before we go, can you think of anything else?

Tia! I'm sure I'll be picking your brains more in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't traveled much with our kids (besides road trips), but I do know that you DON'T need passports for the Bahamas. You only need certified birth certificates. http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about...ectionid=59196

It might go against everything MDC, but I personally would use disposables on this trip. I wouldn't want to use my Bahamas time for washing dipes in a laundromat, kwim?

Good luck and have a great time!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Hey you sound like us when traveling

I personally would bring both car seats, and get everyone their own seat. Yes traveling with two car seats sucks (get a smartcart in the airports) but when you are on the plane for us it was a lifesaver, the kids are comfortable and in a familar seat (we have Britax marathons too). Airplane seats are gettting small there is no way I could have held one of my kids on my lap for a plane flight (you can get a reduced seat price if you are buying a seat for someone under 2)

You can get a carryon for each seat you buy, and the carseats don't count however I'd bring as little on the plane as possible. See if you can get some snacks, dipes, toys, stickers all in one bag.

We cd at home but on trips we spoosie it, we never know what the laundry facilities will be like.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to

#4 of 4 Old 10-19-2005, 02:55 PM

We've traveled quite a bit with dd who is 13months. Here's just a few tips that work for us...
first, i think it's GREAT you are starting to plan so far ahead. I find that planning ahead makes for a much less stressful tripforMama! and fora happier Dad when he finds out how prepared Mama is!

10months is iffy on the plane seat. At that point Teaghan was startingto be mobile and it was a huge challange to keep her on my lap. I guess it depends on how long the flight is. Try to get bulkhead seats when you book your
flight, gives you that extra room which is great!

I would try to get a suite if you can. I find it helps Mama and Dad to enjoy getting away if we can have some adult time in the hotel if we can move into another room and stay up watching a movie or just visiting after dd goes to sleep. If we are all in one room we move around too cautiously to avoid waking her up. She tends to have sleep issues when we travel anyways and this helps a bunch.

We CD and have never used sposies even on a trip. Although not sure if we had two in CDs if i would still be able to swing it. Of course, it wouldnt be possible if there arent washing facilities available but we've always rented places with a W/D in the unit. You may want to look into renting a condo? I just do a load in the evenings after dd is in bed. I pack all the CDsin onebag and check it. Have enough for the trip in a carryon. I wash the last load the nightbefore we leave so I am mostly packing clean dipes home. I also have several wetbags. I admit, I wastotally intimidated about using CDs when traveling but I have it down to a science now.

HTH have a great trip!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page