My mom was assulted at work! LONG LONG LONG - Mothering Forums

#1 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom works at a factory, she just called me so upset!

What she said was she was Stockman today, and requested a time study on her job because she felt like the area was too big and the other stockman's area was too small. The group leader says okay, we'll do a time study sometime. A while later another woman gets sick and mom asks to be put on her job, the group leader says "Fine, but train John how to do your job." so my mom is saying "You do this, this " and he freaks out and says that is too much work for one person, my mom says yeah, I know they are going to do a time study. Well out of no where this other woman says "You have to do this and this too!" and my mom says "Yeah, but you do that after you do this and this. If you don't have time talk to to the group leader." and the woman gets up in my moms face, hits her with her work gloves (big thick work gloves) across the face knocking her safety glasses into her nose, bends them all out of shape and gives my mom a fat lip! Then she hits my mom's shoulder by her neck, and pushes her down. My mom's hands were full of boxes so she couldn'd fight back (probably a good think cuz my mom would have whomped her). The whole time the woman is calling my mom names, telling my mom she shakes her butt to get the guys to do work for her (my mom is really young, 41, really pretty, really skinny, but she's not a hootch).

My mom picked herself up and gets in the womans face and says "You get to Labor Relations (human resources) RIGHT NOW!" the woman told my mom she wasn't doing anything so my mom went to labor relations and told them what happened. They say they have to investigate it so they call the woman in and talk to her...I guess the group leader told this woman that a time study was requested and she got bent out of shape thinking it would change her job (she might actually have to work, not take 15 smoke breaks) so she got pissed at my mom. Anyway, my mom tells the supervisor that she was assulted and she wants him to call the police. He refuses, so my mom calls on her cell. The Union comes in and says my mom needs to calm down, they need to investigate And my mom says thats crap, there is nothing to investigate, you can see the marks on her face. The union comes in and agrees to give the woman 3 days off. So my mom goes back to her area (waiting for the police to show up) and the woman is still there (paperwork has to be filed before she can be sent home) and she's calling my mom a b**** and pointing her out to people, saying B at the top of her lungs all the time "That F'ing B" so my mom goes to the group leader and says "I don't want to take that harassment." and the group leader says there is nothing she can do about it so my mom says to send the woman home, she should be fired! The police show up and take statements, my mom tells the group leader she's leaving, so she does.

She went to the PD, filed a report and all that.

Oh and the woman didn't get fired at all, just suspended for 3 days

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM

I'm so sorry That's just terrible. Your mom needs to speak with her HR person...I believe the workplace needs to provide a safe place for your mom and continuing to work beside a crazy woman isn't safe (physically or emotionally). Your mom should find out if she has an Employee Assistance Program, they are good resources for counseling and workplace issues.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Thats awful... Your poor mom. She must be shaken up... And pissed

:

#4 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM

That's really terrible. I hope your mom is feeling better.

Just to clarify, what is exactly is Stockman? And what is a time study? And what is the purpose of a Group Leader? I'm not really understanding what it is that your mom does...could you clarify?
#5 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm so sorry that happened to your mom. That other lady really should be fired :

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#6 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, stockman fills up the parts needed to run certian jobs, like if a person builds motors they need the parts for the motors.

Group leader is a step below a supervisor.

My mom works at production factory

Time study is basically them saying "this job is supposed to take 'that' long, it is supposed to take 'this' long. what can be done with to make it take 'this' long." in her case it would mean giving the other stockmen more of a share.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#7 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

Call the newstation and see if anyone will get a story. That is assault and she should go to jail or be court ordered to anger managment class.
that is so scary for your mom. She sounds like one strong person to do what she did.
#8 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
Call the newstation and see if anyone will get a story. That is assault and she should go to jail or be court ordered to anger managment class.
that is so scary for your mom. She sounds like one strong person to do what she did.
Yeah, I second taking it to the media. You'd be amazed how quickly bad press can make a company change its tune.
#9 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 PM

JamesMama, you might want to edit out the name of the company that employs your mother.
#10 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM

And some people think that kind of behavior is not only acceptable but *normal* in a workplace.

At this point I think the next course of action is to speak to the most sensible person she can find who might know about this stuff. Possibly her union rep. She probably needs to do some documentation and write some letters.

I'd definitely talk to the HR people and request to be assigned to a different area than the abuser and I'd definitely follow up on the assault and battery charge with the police.

to your mother.
#11 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus
JamesMama, you might want to edit out the name of the company that employs your mother.
Stockman is the job title, not the company name.
#12 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Wow, I'd think assualt would absolutely be fire worthy. I'm sorry that happened to your mom.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#13 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I can't believe that woman didn't get fired!

I would even think that after an incident like that, she'd be arrested. I am assuming she will have to appear in court.
Maybe your mom should get an order of protection.

I'm so sorry to ehar that happened. No one deserves to be treated like that.
#14 of 24 Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 PM

Well, good for her for going to the police about it. I agree that it's ridiculous that the woman didn't get fired. Are they union? If so, I can see why they didn't automatically fire her, as she can grieve and force an investigation. At the plant DH works at, a guy got suspended indefinitely for beating the crap out of one of their security guards, after the guard wrote him up for washing his car in a sanitation area. It took TWO MONTHS for them to finally decide that he was, in fact, going to be fired. It's pretty ridiculous how these things work sometimes, when a union is involved.

Hopefully the woman in your mother's situation ends up getting fired, in the end. That's totally unacceptable behaviour, jeez.
#15 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the union is taking her side because there is a lot of unrest within the company, she claimed shes stressed and blah blah blah and the whole Time Study deal just upset her and she overreacted. A company rep actually called my mom a little while ago and asked what my mom had done to provoke the woman! As if it's my moms fault. Sheesh, now I understand that whole 'blame the victim' deal.

The police are persuing the matter but the officer my mom spoke with flat out told my mom since they can only charge her with Simple Assult she'll more than likely plead out and get sentenced to counseling/anger management and possibly have to pay a fine.

I think if there is an order of protection my mom will end up having to leave because of Union seniority rules. As it is now she talked to her Union rep and got switched to a different shift, she'll be on the night shift now, this woman will stay on the day shift.

#16 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM

Sorry, that stinks. Your mom could also consider a civil suit against the woman.
#17 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM

That is so freaking unfair.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#18 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 01:08 AM

I feel so terrible for your mom. Yeah the lady is lucky your mom didnt knock her one. I would of. I hope your mom feels better, tell her We here at MDC all got her back, The other chic should be c-c-c-canned.

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#19 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 12:45 PM

OMG! I'm glad that your mom is pressing this. My hubby's worked in factories his whole life and he's NEVER had something like that happen (or witnessed!)
#20 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh your poor Mama.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#21 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM

How horrible! That woman should definitely get more than just a slap on the wrist IMO :
#22 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM

double post
#23 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Stockman is the job title, not the company name.
I know that "stockman" is the job title. The company name (a very well-known company, in fact) was in Jamesmama's second post, post #6. She has now edited-out the company name, as I suggested.
#24 of 24 Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 PM

: And I carefully re-read the first post before responding. So naturally, I missed the details of the second.

It was definitely a good idea to edit out the company name.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page