JC Penny Portraits - Mothering Forums

#1 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, my gosh! I wanted some portraits of my son in this cute outfit we got for a wedding. It would be the first formal portraits we would have done (he's 2.5). So, I found a cupon for JC Penny- something like $8 for a whole set. There is a JC Penny down the street. I figured, how bad can they be? For $8, it's not the end of the world if we end up wasting an hour and $8. Might as well try...

They are BEAUTIFUL! I was SO surprised! Absolutely gorgeous. Not stilted, soft, classic, interesting, adorable. Wow. The photographer was great with him and he loved the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 05:39 PM

I KNOW... they are awesome...

I took some pics of DS and I with them (I'll post when I get them back) and they are so unbelievably gorgeous they made me cry...

Who knew :
#3 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM

I've heard about this-they must have changed a LOT since my childhood-even sears has gotten better!

#4 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along the lines of those stilted, over harsh posed ones with the blue background... but this was great! A soft white drape, wooden toys, flowers, nice lighting, they let him play and walk around and do all kinds of things and just snapped away... I saw them and was so surprised at how lovely they came out. Really, really great. I was just SO surprised! Whoda thunk JC Penny had such taste : !
#5 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 PM

I know!! We just picked up our pics on Wed. and they are gorgeous. I was very pleased.

Heather, mama to          
#6 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 PM

IME Sears is a thousand million times better

digital. so you can zoom and crop till the cows come home (great for toddlers who won't sit exactly where you want them or for photographers that don't center perfectly...) a little more expensive than penneys, but well worth it in our experience.

-Angela
#7 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Well, the digital options are nice, but it really depends on the individual store. We quit going to the local Sears Portrait Studio here because two out of their four regular photographers appeared to actively hate children. They always seemed rushed, impatient, and wanted to just snap the photo and get it over with. One of them actually tried to sell us a photo where my hand was in the shot and my daughter's legs were not.

But, I think this was just one bad store.
#8 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Well, the digital options are nice, but it really depends on the individual store. We quit going to the local Sears Portrait Studio here because two out of their four regular photographers appeared to actively hate children. They always seemed rushed, impatient, and wanted to just snap the photo and get it over with. One of them actually tried to sell us a photo where my hand was in the shot and my daughter's legs were not.

But, I think this was just one bad store.
Ugh. My Sears experience was exactly the same.
#9 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Oh- I'm glad you're pleased!! I wasn't expecting to read that when I opened the thread!!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#10 of 24 Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 PM

i lvoe jc penny portraits!
i have the 2 year membership and always use coupons and have cone every 2 months since my 19 month old was born and we have ridiculas amounts of picutres but at $3.99 a sheet i feel ok about that.

: the sun is always shining here. loving life with DP and DS
#11 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I choose Penny's over Sears as well. Liked them so much that I took ds#1 every month for his first year and am doing the same for ds#2. Love being able to see how much they change in their "formal" pictures!
#12 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 AM

I'm glad you had such a good experience!

We've gotten pictures there and I haven't been that impressed. I think we could have done as well on our own honestly.

But I imagine part of it depends on the people at your particular store of course.

This year, we got pics of the kids from their school (nursery school) and they are GREAT.
#13 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 AM

Anyone know where there's a current coupon for JCPenney online?
#14 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
Anyone know where there's a current coupon for JCPenney online?
http://www.jcpenneyportraits.com/coupons/index.shtml
#15 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks!
#16 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM

I think it all depends on location. The moms around here seem to all prefer Penney's over Sears. They both do the digital photos.
#17 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

digital. so you can zoom and crop till the cows come home (great for toddlers who won't sit exactly where you want them or for photographers that don't center perfectly...) a little more expensive than penneys, but well worth it in our experience.

-Angela
The JC Penny portraits ARE degital . ...At least mine are. We already fiddled with the cropping and all the other fancy stuff and I'm waiting for them to go on-line...
#18 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It depends on the individual store. I go to both, alot! And, yeah, Penney's is digital too.

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 of 24 Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
I've heard about this-they must have changed a LOT since my childhood-even sears has gotten better!
:

And they've apparently gotten better since my DS was 1 b/c his 1 yo pics were awful! Maybe it was just the photographer we got, but she was jumping up and down in front of my DS blocking his view of me and then she kept making all these loud "whoooping" noises. He was sooo terrified of cameras for a long time after that. Sears was not much better.

On the flip side, I have seen some recent Penney's photos and have been very impressed.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#20 of 24 Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam View Post
The JC Penny portraits ARE degital . ...At least mine are. We already fiddled with the cropping and all the other fancy stuff and I'm waiting for them to go on-line...
Cool. We last went a year ago for easter- brand new store, hoping it would be digital. It wasn't. They wouldn't do but one outfit and they only would take 9 shots. Total waste of time.

Sears on the other hand will take multiple sittings and let us order all at once (to use the better coupons )

They'll take as many shots as we want in a sitting (20-30 is normal for us) and we can change clothes as many times as we want

-Angela
#21 of 24 Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Cool. They wouldn't do but one outfit and they only would take 9 shots. Total waste of time.

-Angela
This is what happened when we went to Penney's too-even though when I made the last appt I asked if we could do 2 outfits and they confirmed that I could. We've been twice and both times I wasn't very happy with the way they turned out. Our local one must not be as good as some others. But I do think their prices are great if you get some good pics! I'm glad you're happy with yours-I love getting back pictures that turned out well.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#22 of 24 Old 05-06-2007, 03:51 AM

Our experience: when dh "stops in" with the kids wearing whatever and borrows a brush to make them presentable- the pics turn out fabulous. When we actually prepare, bathe, wear nice outfits, etc-- that's asking for trouble!
#23 of 24 Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM

I was not expecting to read about a positive Penney's experience. I prefer the props and backgrounds Penney's has, but I'm never going back. I had DD's 2-year pics taken there and when I got them they were very blurry, not just soft, BLURRY! I complained to the lady who was working there and she said, "You approved them." I explained that I couldn't see that they were blurry form the teeny-tiny proofs I was choosing from. Then she said, "Life is like that sometimes." I called her names at that point and called the manager the next Monday. The only answer I ever got was, "That's too bad." Never again.

Sears has been very professional and easy to work with. They've never said anything about clothing changes and they'll even let me bring my dogs.
#24 of 24 Old 05-06-2007, 04:10 PM

ooo im soo glad someone has a positive experience to post. I took DD to picture people sence she was about 9 months old and they recently closed around me so i have been wondering where i will take this baby!

and the link for the coupons is a big help!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page