Other 27 7.89%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

#121 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I think the point is that it is human milk. Even if it is from another woman, it's still vegan.
No, the point isn't just that it's human milk, but that it's freely given.

I think a lot of people don't understand that veganism isn't a dietary choice. It's a way of living and a philosophy of life. A vegan's moral and ethical beliefs guide his or her actions, not a set of rules about things they can and cannot eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I voted other....but it is in fact an animal byproduct, right? :

I am very curious what you veggies think.

Also-what about placenta?
#123 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM

#124 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post

I'm veg. Breastmilk is vegan.

If you REALLY want to know, read the rest of the thread. There are scores of posts from veg*ns on the issue.
#125 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post
No, the point isn't just that it's human milk, but that it's freely given.

I think a lot of people don't understand that veganism isn't a dietary choice. It's a way of living and a philosophy of life. A vegan's moral and ethical beliefs guide his or her actions, not a set of rules about things they can and cannot eat.
I'm not vegan, but I've had friends who were and this has always been my interpretation. I voted "yes".
#126 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM

I think this is kind of a weird question if you're asking it in reference to whether a breastfeeding baby can be called a vegan or not. Who cares? As others have said, it's best for baby, period. I think we're all a little label-happy sometimes, and extending that to labeling an innocent little breastfeeding baby is just stupid.

I must say though, DH and I have been toying with the idea of making soap, and there are recipes for goat's milk soap, so we were playfully tossing around the idea of human milk soap. We aren't vegan, but are vegetarian and part of a vegan friendly community. So anyway, we were considering whether it would be wrong to call breastmilk soap "vegan." We decided that may be *technically* incorrect, though most vegans wouldn't object to it as contradicting their life philosophy, since I'm not unwillingly hooked up to pumps after having my baby stolen. We opted, in our hypothetical world of breastmilk soap marketing, to say it would be "vegan friendly." So anyway, that's the only scenario where I can imagine it being appropriate to even consider whether or not breastmilk is vegan.
#127 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Also-what about placenta?
I'm truly puzzled as to why you bumped this thread and are asking vegans to weigh in when that's what most of the 100+ posts before you were about. Not trying to be mean, I'm just really puzzled.

But now since it's bumped, I see blissful_maia replied to something I said and I never responded.
Quote:
I think that's pretty sad that some vegans wouldn't breastfeed because of this crazy question though, and I'm surprised you personally know people who do this.
I never said I knew anyone personally who would do this. I said I had heard of it, although rare.
#128 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm not vegetarian or vegan. Yet I can definitely see how this question would get old really fast. I used to be semi-veggie (still try but DP is too fond of meat to be satisfied with veggie food most of the time), I only cooked veggie foods myself but wouldn't waste food others had cooked just because I wouldn't have cooked it. I was into it more for environmental than for animal rights reasons. And still I got questions such as mentioned before with the desert island example and so on.

The thing is, veganism isn't a diet, it's more of a philosophy. You don't exploit animals. Until someone can explain to me how nursing a child is exploiting someone, I'll stick with my belief that breastfeeding is in accordance with vegan philosophy.

I must say, I'd never even heard of breastfeeding being considered nonvegan :
#129 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post

The thing is, veganism isn't a diet, it's more of a philosophy. You don't exploit animals. Until someone can explain to me how nursing a child is exploiting someone

:
There are lots of ways to eat animal products that dont exploit animals. Like eggs from a local farm, milk (that is produced localy where you know whats going on with the animal care) etc.

Veganism cant be ALL about exploiting animals because there are so many ways you can consume animals without exploiting them.

I definatly think vegan is a form of a diet. Vegans dont belive its actually healthy to consume animals or animal products. (Or they might add milk and eggs into their diet.)
#130 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
There are lots of ways to eat animal products that dont exploit animals. Like eggs from a local farm, milk (that is produced localy where you know whats going on with the animal care) etc.

Veganism cant be ALL about exploiting animals because there are so many ways you can consume animals without exploiting them.

I definatly think vegan is a form of a diet. Vegans dont belive its actually healthy to consume animals or animal products. (Or they might add milk and eggs into their diet.)
Honest to Pete, PLEASE do some reading.

:
#131 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Anyone have an answer on the "Is Placenta Vegan?" question?
#132 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Honest to Pete, PLEASE do some reading.

:
Yep, thanks. I did.
#133 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yep, thanks. I did.
Really? What reading did you do? And where? Sources? Citations? Book titles? Three hours ago, you were asking "veggie folks" what their take was on whether breastmilk is vegan (having clearly not read the thread) and now you're explaining to vegans how it is that they don't understand their own philosophy!

Where did you read that "vegan" is only a diet? And that there are lots of ways for food to be gotten from animals that didn't exploit animals? Including food that includes CONSUMING ANIMALS, according to your post.

I mean, other than in the post you just wrote, where did you find that information? Because I need to go and yell at the source, rather than waste my time and get my hand slapped for yelling at you some more.

:
#134 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

you're not serious are you?
#135 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Jenny, you need to work on NOT telling other people what they believe.
#136 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

ex·ploit /ɪkˈsplɔɪt/
–verb (used with object)

1. to utilise; turn to practical account
2. to use selfishly for one's own ends

We utilise animals to produce something to fulfil our wants. In one word, exploit. If we can get past the negative connotations of the word, we can see that's exactly what we do when we use animal products.

It's not about whether the animals are treated well. It's not about whether you know what's going on with the farm. Farm animals are utilised, and vegans have a moral objection to that.
#137 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:

you're joking, right? right?????

please tell me this is a joke
#138 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:

This is way, way off base. As a vegan (and I'm sure the vast majority of vegans would agree with me on this) I believe it would be very nearly impossible to consume animals without exploiting them. It doesn't matter how well the dairy cows are treated, because they are still being bought or bred, raised, imprisoned, forced to get pregnant, separated from their babies (in almost all cases) and having their milk taken for human consumption.

And yes, of course consuming one's own placenta is vegan. I did it. I would think the answer to that question obvious if you have read all the answers to this thread made by vegans.

If someone abstains from all animal products because they think that is the healthiest way to eat, they are not a vegan. They are a strict vegetarian. Veganism is MUCH more than a diet.
#139 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Count me in on hoping that's a joke too. :
#140 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:52 PM

I honestly cannot believe some of these posts :
#141 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Anyone have an answer on the "Is Placenta Vegan?" question?
I ate mine and I am a vegan, therefore eating consensual human placenta is vegan.
#142 of 142 Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

If someone abstains from all animal products because they think that is the healthiest way to eat, they are not a vegan. They are a strict vegetarian. Veganism is MUCH more than a diet.
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page