S/O Regarding vegan breastmilk - If you voted in the other poll vote in mine, too! - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: So... what'd you vote?
I am vegan and YES, breastmilk is also vegan. 21 11.48%
I am vegan and NO, breastmilk is not vegan 3 1.64%
I am not vegan, but I think breastmilk is vegan 119 65.03%
I am not vegan, and neither is breastmilk 34 18.58%
I can't be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do! 6 3.28%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, if you voted in the poll on the other thread, how did you vote and are you vegan? It's anonymous, I'm just wondering what percentage of vegans and non-vegans voted what, since it was brought up in the other thread, sorta.

Serendipity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 AM

I voted that it IS Vegan (by which i meant a product okay for consumption by vegans) and I am not vegan myself.
#3 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I voted that it IS Vegan (by which i meant a product okay for consumption by vegans) and I am not vegan myself.
:

#4 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 03:19 AM

its vegan....
its so obvious i have to wonder why people always ask this....

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#5 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.
#6 of 48 Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
:

I do understand how vegan parents would prefer their baby get breastmilk from another vegan woman (if donor milk is needed) rather than use ebm from a non-vegan woman, but breastmilk itself is still a vegan food item. There is no cow or goat being "taken advantage of"- it's women feeding their own children and/or voluntarily pumping milk for other babies.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#7 of 48 Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Bump bump bump. Did you ever ride a wump?

Serendipity
#8 of 48 Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Wow, it blows my mind that some people debate this. I believe breastmilk to be a vegan food as long as the mom is also vegan. If I had to use donor milk, I would not be comfortable with giving my vegan baby milk from a non vegan mom, as what goes into the mom also goes into the milk.
#9 of 48 Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If I had to use donor milk, I would not be comfortable with giving my vegan baby milk from a non vegan mom, as what goes into the mom also goes into the milk.
So...if it came down to either using donor milk from a non-vegan mom or using formula, which would you choose?
#10 of 48 Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
So...if it came down to either using donor milk from a non-vegan mom or using formula, which would you choose?

Breastmilk is always better than formula. However, I wouldn't go with a non vegan mom unless I have failed at a search for another vegan mom. In that case, I would ask my friend who isn't vegan, but who's diet is probably closest to mine out of anyone I know.
#11 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Come on.... I know there's at least 200 more of you who voted in the other poll. Vote in this one, too! You don't need to post anything! Just VOTE! It's quick and painless, I promise!

Serendipity
#12 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM

You didn't give an option for those who selected other in the previous poll.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#13 of 48 Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm not vegan and I think breastmilk IS vegan. For sure it is.

It is the first and perfect food, by nature, for all mammals, regardless of their adult diets. Vegan mammals, carnivores, it doesn't matter. Milk is made for babies. How can it not be vegan? I don't get it.
#14 of 48 Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 PM

i voted i am not vegan, neither is BM, but i am not sure...
ehh, sorry for bumping, i found this thread intresting!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#15 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm vegan, and breastmilk is vegan, and my soon-to-be breastfeeding babe is and will be vegan.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#16 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 10:06 AM

My head's all messed up on this one. I voted "yes breastmilk is vegan" in the other poll a while ago but I have since read The Omnivore's Dilemma and now I'm not really sure what I think. I guess now I would say maybe it's probably not *technically* vegan, being an animal product and all (and the milk of other animals isn't vegan), but a.) who cares and b.) vegan babies should be breastfed just like omnivore babies should be breastfed... obviously... and c.) anyone who gives their infant soy formula or whatever out of choice to preserve the child's veganism is missing the forest for the trees. So while it's probably not vegan, I would still say strongly that it is totally and completely consistent with a vegan lifestyle and value system. I think sometimes people confuse "vegan" with pure, ethical, or a pro-animal rights lifestyle, which certainly it is associated with, but you don't have to be vegan and concerned with any of these things. Just taking it at face value, it means not eating animal products... I think that's where I get tripped up, since clearly milk is an animal product. Is the calf of a cow vegan too? I wonder how a calf could be vegan if it drinks its mother's milk but I wouldn't be. Same milk, same source. Again, CLEARLY vegan babies should be breastfed, but IMO maybe not because it's vegan per se, but just simply because it's right.
#17 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Michael Pollan, who wrote "Omnivore's Dilemma", is NOT a vegan and does not speak for vegans.

Once again,BREASTMILK IS VEGAN.
#18 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
Michael Pollan, who wrote "Omnivore's Dilemma", is NOT a vegan and does not speak for vegans.

This.
#19 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan, but I agree that human milk is vegan for human babies.
#20 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post

Never said he did. And he never said a single thing about breastmilk being vegan or not. What he outlined, at the end of the book, was a series of discussions he had with people and writings of people who DO speak for veganism and/or animal rights... such as Peter Singer, John Berger, and Matthew Scully. It was very thought-provoking stuff, that's all... that got me thinking about a lot of issues related to animal agriculture.
#21 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Never said he did. And he never said a single thing about breastmilk being vegan or not. What he outlined, at the end of the book, was a series of discussions he had with people and writings of people who DO speak for veganism and/or animal rights... such as Peter Singer, John Berger, and Matthew Scully. It was very thought-provoking stuff, that's all... that got me thinking about a lot of issues related to animal agriculture.
Is it at all interesting to you that all of those "people" are men?
#22 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Is it at all interesting to you that all of those "people" are men?
Is it at all interesting to you that all of those "people" would argue YOUR position?
#23 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Is it at all interesting to you that all of those "people" would argue YOUR position?
What? It sounded to me as though you were telling wdw that all of those vegans--all of whom are men--said that breastmilk wasn't vegan. Isn't that what you meant?
#24 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
What? It sounded to me as though you were telling wdw that all of those vegans--all of whom are men--said that breastmilk wasn't vegan. Isn't that what you meant?
No, that's neither what I said nor what I even implied in my post. I said basically I was reading a bunch of stuff in Omnivore's Dilemma that made me think more about animal agriculture and made me question whether breastmilk could be considered vegan (even though I clearly stated that ALL babies should be breastfed, regardless of whether you need to call it vegan or not), and WDW said omg no way Michael Pollan isn't vegan therefore his opinion is not to be respected in this matter, and I replied, well, he has no opinion about this and I wasn't talking about HIS opinion, I was talking about MY opinion formed after reading the part of his book that focuses on discussing the writings, arguments, and/or conversations he has had with a number of people -- including those I mentioned in my post above -- on animal rights, on eating animals, on humane treatment of animals, on veganism, etc., and from following up and reading some of these writings myself.

I no longer need to believe that breastmilk is vegan in order to think it is an appropriate and moreover, a morally consistent choice, for vegans to feed their babies.
#25 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I no longer need to believe that breastmilk is vegan in order to think it is an appropriate and moreover, a morally consistent choice, for vegans to feed their babies.
Um. Okay!

Sorry I misunderstood you!

As for me, I'm going to stick with believing that the vegans I know and trust know their stuff.
#26 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM

I think the big disconnect here is in viewing veganism as a strictly biological lifestyle choice, vs. one that is rooted in morals and a particular world view.

If you're applying a strictly biological definition, then I can see how it could be argued that it is not vegan. Technically, biologically, it is an animal fluid no less than cow's milk or goat's milk.

From what I can see, though, most vegans view their choice as a moral one, not a biological one. They're pleased when they find biological evidence for the superiority of their choices, but that doesn't mean they're doing it for scientific reasons. From that perspective, yes, breastmilk is utterly vegan: it is the one thing you can feed a baby that does not impinge on anyone or anything other than the mother, who's giving freely and lovingly by choice. There's no question about little mice squashed in the fields under tractors, no moral issues with transportation and fuel usage or genetically engineered soybeans or supporting formula companies with their unethical marketing practices or supporting companies that treat their employees like slaves, etc. etc.

Although I'm not a vegan, it seems to me that most vegans come primarily from that second camp, the moral one. I think the people who view their diets entirely scientifically and have no interest in the moral issues are an abberation in that community. Ergo, yes, breastmilk is entirely vegan.

I guess what it comes down to is, we shouldn't be asking vegans if breastmilk is vegan or not. We should be asking them if their diet is primarily a moral choice or a scientific choice. Telling vegans, who've made their choice for moral reasons, that breastmilk is not vegan is like telling a Jew that peanut butter is not kosher for Passover because a peanut is technically a legume. That person would look at you like you're crazy and ask you why you're trying to make up your own rules for her religion.
#27 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
its vegan....
its so obvious i have to wonder why people always ask this....
#28 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Thank you so much for that post, tboroson. That's a very good explanation of why it's so offensive to even think this is a debatable issue.

And just to clarify - veganism absolutely has the ethical and moral component. It's a way of approaching everything in life, not just food. Those who avoid animal-derived foods for health reasons only are more accurately called "strict vegetarians".
#29 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM

I really, really don't understand why so many non-vegans, after being told by a whole bunch of vegans that breastmilk is most definitely and without a doubt vegan, are so determined to say that it's not. Are you just trying to stir the sh*t? Do you have contempt for vegans and want to try and define us in your own terms to make yourself feel better about your own choices? Both of these threads really bother me.
#30 of 48 Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post
I really, really don't understand why so many non-vegans, after being told by a whole bunch of vegans that breastmilk is most definitely and without a doubt vegan, are so determined to say that it's not. Are you just trying to stir the sh*t? Do you have contempt for vegans and want to try and define us in your own terms to make yourself feel better about your own choices? Both of these threads really bother me.
I dunno...as of this posting almost 15% of the vegans that replied to this post have said that breast milk is NOT vegan. So even among vegans there is room for discussion here. it is not a cut-and-dried issue.

BTW: I believe that breast milk IS vegan. I just wanted to point out that all the MDC vegans are not in total agreeance.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page