I met my congresswoman and I was disappointed - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I be?

2 weeks ago I got an email from her campaign stating that the first 40 people to donate a 100 bucks or more gets a ticket to go see Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello up in Albany this past Saturday...And it was my B-day, so of course I gave 100 $ and got 1 ticket for myself (Couldn't even afford that one, let alone 2 for DH and I). Then I get another email saying that she's hosting a pre-concert party for us and she'll be there with her DH too.

Ok, sounds awesome. I get to finally meet the lady I volunteered for and for whom I helped get elected with my efforts. Cool. And I get to see Dylan and Elvis (sigh, I love him). Super Cool.

When I arrived at the party she was there hanging out with a very close circle of people and seemed to know them pretty well. Hugging, kissing, then in deep conversation. Ok, her friends are here. That's cool.

But there was a whole crowd of other people who donated and were completely cut off from her. I mean there were only 40 of us if that many. Everyone was in their own quiet little pairs anxiously looking around the room...It was weird.

Then I decide to stop being a wallflower and get this party started right, start mixing things up, get a grove on...So, I go up to her and interrupt (gently) her and her pal, tell her that I wanted to introduce myself before we go to the show. She then goes on to tell me that she remembered me from the campaign...Um, no, I never met her...That was awkward...I'm not that great at lying, so I had this incredulous look on my face...Then she intros me to her DH, I then turn back to her and she moved away back with her pal into a corner to chat some more...WTF??

If I was a congresswoman, who's trying like hell to hang on to a very coveted seat, I would NEVER have acted so F-ing rudely! She ignored all the people she didn't know personally!

I would have engaged with obviously like-minded people who happen to also be her constituents! I mean, you don't have to spend all night with them, but at least chat up a little convo, am I wrong here?

My DH said she was probably drunk...but I'm not so sure...

Then she went on to leave during the middle of the Dylan set : How can you leave in the middle of Dylan? He was awesome!

I never really liked politicians and every time I'm around them I'm always disappointed... Am I viewing this wrong?

Well, thanks for letting me rant. It feels good to get this all out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM

Hmmm, for some reason I was humming "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper by the time I got to the end of your post.

Letter to the Editor about her behavior? And perhaps cc: it to her office? If it were me, I would call her on it in some way. For the record, it would tick me off as well.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#3 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM

Yes, that would have made me mad. Once you enter the political arena you have to be social and meet and greet. Hanging out with your buds during an event you set up to thank those who supported you, is really rude and bad manners! I would write to her.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

You know... I think I may indeed write to her.

I don't think that people in the spotlight always need to put on a show and dance and I do realize they may need time to themselves; but at an event you need to chat with people at least!

I may not write a letter to the editor, but I may chat with her staff...
#5 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM

I worked in politics for years before I had kids. I am with your DH on the "she was probably drunk" thing. It's hard to believe she'd be that dismissive of a supporter otherwise. That doesn't excuse it at all, she should know how to behave herself at campaign functions. But MANY of them don't.
#6 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 AM

Yeah, they are just normal people, some are better than others at acknowledging supporters and some are just plain stupid in that department. We have a run off currently for a recently vacated congressional seat - the guy who left (to run a university) was fabulous at what you are describing. Whenever we called him, he took care of us. (My dad is involved in local politics, so knew him, not a good friend, but he knew who dad was, etc)

The current candidates in the primary the woman who ended up winning walked by us in the 4th of july parade, then stopped the whole parade to walk back 100 yards to say hi to my dad, obviously because some campaign worker said she should (too late he was already supporting her opponent), but it made her look worse cuz she held up the whole parade and looked stupid doing it and the fact that she tried to pretend she knew who he was made us all laugh.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Ummm WOW! Either she was drunk or her "handlers" are not very good at their jobs. They should have seen to it that she was available to talk to all these people that donated to her campaign. If she had no intention of mingling w/ the masses then she shouldn't have invited everyone to a pre-concert party. Elections are won and lost w/ that kind of bad PR.
#8 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Dang, I have more social graces then a congresswoman! I should run.....

I'd be pissed and definitely write a few letters.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#9 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What bad manners.
#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, I feel so much better after ranting...but I am for sure sending her a personal letter. We've emailed each other in the past, and it's always been cordial and professional and indeed friendly. So, I really think I owe it to her to tell her what I thought of her behavior that night...and her staff members were kind of jerky too, they were probably all hammered...have no idea what that's like anymore...

I hope she doesn't think of me as a Cliff Claven character that was always hounding his local politicians on Cheers, remember that show? I think I may watch that a bit too much...:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page