Help me nicely say NO to this chiro. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to a showing of "The Business of Being Born," and it was sponsored by a local chiro. I went with my mom and my nursling. I'm new to town and looking for a new chiro for my nursling, because she favors her right side and needs routine adjustment. She got regular adjustments in Yuma and it really helped her.

As soon as I met the docs in this practice I just didn't feel right about them, and I said as much to my mom. But one of the docs was able to schedule us for the next morning, so I said okay, against my instincts.

I went in, and before they would adjust Sydney, they went through a long exam with me and also dd1. Well apparently before I can get adjusted, I have to attend this 2 HOUR class on chiropractic, and my dh has to attend also (it's a family thing, they want everyone in the family to get chiro together) and also, it's $45/person for an adjustment, including the kids, so for my entire family to get adjusted would be 6X$45, which is a lot!

Also, this chiro was all about being healed by God. (Which lends itself to the question, if God can heal, why do I need a chiro? ) Basically the vibe I got is that the docs are total zealots about God and chiropractic.

Personally, I think chiro is helpful (and so is God ) but I just want to get my nursing adjusted every week or two, without committing my entire life to it or being preached to.

Meanwhile, the chiro has been calling to schedule this 2-HOUR class for my dh and me and I have no idea how to nicely say, No thanks, I think you're crazy wacko zealots who give nice normal chiros a bad name.

Suggestions?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
say, No thanks, I think you're crazy wacko zealots who give nice normal chiros a bad name.
But without the bolded part!
#3 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM

Sounds like quite the piece of work! Ugh, I am terrible in those situations, I'd likely just be ignoring them when the called (via caller ID), deleting their messages, and curse the phone if they kept calling me like some crazed boyfriend! And in the meantime I'd book an appointment with another chiro....so, ya, I'm no help.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle

#4 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM

I suppose I would tell them exactly what you said here. Minus the wacko zealots part, if you MUST. And tell them you believe in Chiropractic, you don't need a class, and you're not in a financial position for the whole family to commit. You could, I suppose, tell them that the chirochristian stuff is off-putting, but I'd probably let that one go.
#5 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, despite all my bravada online, I totally want to hide and ignore the calls. We're in a temp apartment and we don't have caller ID otherwise I wouldn't have even answered the phone :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#6 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM

I'd just tell them that you've decided that you will not be able to afford $45 per person per visit so you are looking else where for a practice that fits your needs better. Oh, and that you think they are a bunch of maroons.
#7 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

I think hou have the right to politely decline the offer, without explaination. I would call them and say, thank you for the information but at this time we are not interested in your services.
If they ask why-which would be rude-I would be polite in saying,we are not interested at this time, thank you, have a nice day. Then hang up.
You are not -in any way- obligated to satisfy their curiosity nor stroke their ego.
Find a doctor who suits you needs.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#8 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just say 'No Thanks" no need at all to make excuses. I'm sure they'll have good reasons or 'solutions' that will fix your money issues if you give them excuses for not wanting to come in.
'don't want to pay blah blah blah'
'well, we can split the payments up so that you are on a schedule, I'm sure that will make it more affordable for you. When can we schedule your first appointment?'

A simple 'No Thanks' is really all you need.
#9 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
I'm sure they'll have good reasons or 'solutions' that will fix your money issues if you give them excuses for not wanting to come in.
'don't want to pay blah blah blah'
'well, we can split the payments up so that you are on a schedule, I'm sure that will make it more affordable for you. When can we schedule your first appointment?'
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of... I'm a total pushover.

Okay. So, just, "No thanks. No thanks." Firmly. Nicely.

I'm skeered.

I don't know why, I can totally say no (nicely) to telemarketers or people I haven't met, but once I've met someone irl, I just have such a difficult time saying no.

treehugger.gif Erika
#10 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM

actually, I'd tell them exactly what you said in your first post, including the wacky zealots (hopefully this would be their clue to back TFO). I'd also tell them that WHEN and IF you are ever interested in seeking care with their office you will call them.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#11 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM

I feel your pain. I was stalked by a chiro. She sent me flowers, a gift cert for a free carpet cleaning, gave me food, called me everyday. She creeped me out. I wish I had the guts to tell her to bugger off, but I was a wimp. She ended up leaving the practice.

Its hard to say...GO AWAY. but you have to. Can you call after hours and leave a message. Say you are not interested. Don't say "well maybe later," because they...will...call...you..later. Don't give then a reason that there is any hope.

good luck & remember....they are salespeople. They will do anything to sell their product.

(I do love my chiro..but some are the pushest, carsaleist people I have ever met)
#12 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Can you pawn it off on someone else to make the call/take the call?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"I don't think your practice is a good fit for our family. Thank you so much for following up though. Have a good day." Click.

I understand the easier said than done thing. I'm such a sissy about that stuff.
#14 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Find someone else, book an apointment and then tell them

"thank you for your time but we have decided to go with someone else"

I go to see The Business of Being Born on the 20th
#15 of 15 Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am a total pushover at times, so I understand. This has been my line, 'thanks, but I'm not ready to schedule an appointment right now, I will let you know if I need to."

I'm not making excuses, but not completely brushing them, and I haven't had people ask me again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page