our colleagues' sons' nicknames - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yoni (for Yehonatan) and Volvah (for Vladimir)

And I don't think either family is aware of the connotations of the names/pronnounciation.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is Yoni?

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Oh dear...

I'd have probably gone with Vlad or Yehon, but I guess if they have no clue about the associations...

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

#4 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 PM

oh.wow.
#5 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM

No way. My brain refuses to accept that.
#6 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
WNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Yoni (for Yehonatan) and Volvah (for Vladimir)

And I don't think either family is aware of the connotations of the names/pronnounciation.
nahhhh.. they just wanted girls.
#7 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Generally, the name is Vova with a long O. It's a traditional nickname, kinda like Beth or Liz for Elizabeth. I would guess from the names that the parents are trying to honor their heritage. Depending on how close you are to them, you may want to point out to them what those names sound like, though, let them decide whether they want to change the nicknames.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 PM

your vagina, no, your vulva, i believe. wow. that is a tough one, how well do you know them? could you send a nice anonomous note? i know how you feel, i have had to explain to a chinese doc that the Publix is NOT a store for buying "pleasures" you know "where shopping is a pleasure...." uggghhh. also, he was not a "diaper man" as he put it, but looking dapper. ohhh, and why not to tell people they are hassleing him, it sounds like he was calling them an azzhole. yeah, but i would let them know, i worked for a woman that was given a rainbow cat sticker for her car and she put it on, she was told it meant she took in stray cats, she was confused when women started honking the horn and winking at her,.......that was a fun conversation...we never spoke of it again.
#9 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM

If I didn't think that they knew, I would have to find a way to tactfully enlighten them.

I once knew someone with a last name of Anderson, who wanted to name a daughter Hannah. No middle name, even. I mentioned it, just in case. They were not mainstream people, but didn't have much exposure to children yet so I thought they may (or may not care) want to know. I have no idea whether or not they changed their minds, don't care at all.
#10 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM

WHAT IS YONI?!?!?

I must know!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#11 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Oh. no.

It would be nice of you to *gently* point out the problem.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Generally, the name is Vova with a long O. It's a traditional nickname, kinda like Beth or Liz for Elizabeth. I would guess from the names that the parents are trying to honor their heritage. Depending on how close you are to them, you may want to point out to them what those names sound like, though, let them decide whether they want to change the nicknames.
Yes, this is what the dad said (as he introduced his 5-mo-old son to my child development class of 25 students).

"Vova" - but it sure as heck sounded like, "Vulva."

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#13 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
WHAT IS YONI?!?!?

I must know!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoni

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#14 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Oh boy.

I love the name Vladimir.

In case it hasn't been addressed yet, Yoni is commonly used to describe areas of the female genitalia. (Someone with more info can expound on this, I'm sure.)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#15 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 PM

I think its a respectful and honoring way to refer to female genitalia. It's a word a lot of women choose to use.
#16 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
WHAT IS YONI?!?!?

I must know!
Just google it. That's what my DH did this evening when I pointed out the names to him. The first link nails it. The second is even better.

#17 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 PM

Ooooh ok....hahah!

Now, what is bad about Hannah Anderson?

Gosh I feel so naive right now!

(eta I googled Hannah Anderson and got children's clothes....???)

#18 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I once knew someone with a last name of Anderson, who wanted to name a daughter Hannah. No middle name, even. I mentioned it, just in case. They were not mainstream people, but didn't have much exposure to children yet so I thought they may (or may not care) want to know. I have no idea whether or not they changed their minds, don't care at all.
Interesting. That is a name my brother & sil once had on their name list. Last name is Anderson.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#19 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yoni has been a nickname for Yonotan (Hebrew version of Jonothan) for longer than the Sanskrit word for female genitalia has been used by English speakers.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#20 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
If I didn't think that they knew, I would have to find a way to tactfully enlighten them.

I don't get it.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#21 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM

There's nothing 'wrong' with it, and it is definitely a pretty name, but... it is a brand of clothing.

Heck, name your kid Reebok for all I care, but the parents may (or may not) care about something like that...
#22 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yoni has been a nickname for Yonotan (Hebrew version of Jonothan) for longer than the Sanskrit word for female genitalia has been used by English speakers.
Thanks for pointing that out, Ruthla. I just hope that kids around here aren't aware of its more recent use.

#23 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Well, Vova (Volodya, but I don't know many who go by this as a nickname) is the nickname for Vladimir in Russia You don't do Vlad for Vladimir, you do Vlad for Vladislav. Like Nastya for Anastasiya and Anya is for Anna or Masha for Maria. It doesn't work so much that you just make up a nickname for those names. Even if you do, the chances of people actually using it are slim to none, because we already have nicknames and you'd take into account whether or not you like the nickname before hand. But I see it would probably be different in the US, especially if they are not Russian, which it sounds like they are not. I use a made up nickname in the US because nobody can pronounced dd's name right. They always say "Aliona" even if I try to help them pronounce it. I finally gave up decided to let them call her Ally! Which helps quite a bit. I don't know why they didn't do that... considering what people think when they hear Vova. I'm wondering how they didn't hear it themselves???

Dh loves the name Vladimir and I think he secretly wishes that it was his name. And I like the name, but probably will never use it because of the nickname. I don't care for the nickname Vova, not worried about it sounding like Vulva as much as just my dislike for it. I do not like a few other names as well after taking in account the nicknames or vice versa. I love Kostya, but do not like Konstantin. I like Sasha, but do not like Alexander.

I've never heard of Yoni. I didn't know the slang meaning as well. Although I figured that quickly when I googled it.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#24 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendora View Post
No way. My brain refuses to accept that.

: how could they not know?

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#25 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yep. I've known several Jewish Yonis--it's really quite common and not a big deal. And honestly, I think there are VERY few people who know about the other connotation of "yoni"--I highly doubt that many, if any, of my friends or family have heard it.
#26 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaveta View Post
Well, Vova (Volodya, but I don't know many who go by this as a nickname) is the nickname for Vladimir in Russia You don't do Vlad for Vladimir, you do Vlad for Vladislav.

Interesting......so, is "Dimir" a nickname for Vladimir? I have a (dead) "great-uncle Dimmer" (as I grew up hearing of him and imagined it spelled). My great-grandfather and grandmother were immigrants of Russia and Austria, respectively, and they spoke Russian in the home. My great-uncle was their son, born in the US. I learned as an adult that his name was actually Vladimir. Was that likely an Americanized nickname? Or is that another Russian nickname?

Re: the op--I don't think that either of these nicknames are outrageous individually, but together they are very unfortunate! LOL!
#27 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 PM

wow.. I never made connection "from Vova" to "vulva"... But then again, I grew up around many "Vovas", very common name-nickname "over there". My mind can't connect it to anything associated with "vulva" even when I try to see the point of view expressed here...

Talk about cultural differences

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#28 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, Ruthla. I just hope that kids around here aren't aware of its more recent use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Yep. I've known several Jewish Yonis--it's really quite common and not a big deal. And honestly, I think there are VERY few people who know about the other connotation of "yoni"--I highly doubt that many, if any, of my friends or family have heard it.
The thing is, somebody going by "Yoni" is likely living in a very Jewish area/subculture, and is unlikely to come across too many crunchy womyn who use the term "yoni" to refer to their private parts. A more assimilated Yonaton is likely to call himself "Jon" even if he answered to "Yoni" as a little boy.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#29 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I STIK M View Post
i worked for a woman that was given a rainbow cat sticker for her car and she put it on, she was told it meant she took in stray cats, she was confused when women started honking the horn and winking at her,.......that was a fun conversation...we never spoke of it again.

Please speak of it now as I am totally lost.

Missing the old MDC!!
Remember when there would be 20 new comments a minute in TAO?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#30 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
Please speak of it now as I am totally lost.
Rainbows are to support for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people (often with a connotation of belonging to one of those groups) as pink is to support for getting rid of breast cancer.

And one term for cat, pussy, is also a term for female genitalia.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page