Graduating from school after high school or as an adult? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went back to school when my kids were 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. It was really rough juggling children and school, but I graduated with a 97% average grade and a certificate as a long term care aide. The day I graduated my husband said congrats, and that's it. No call from family, no congrats, nothing. I was actually really upset because I had worked my tail off.

Another family member 2 years out of high school just graduated last week and there's been two parties hosted for her. Gifts galore. Cards galore. Tons and tons of phone calls from family telling her congrats on the graduation.

Her schooling was a little longer than mine, but really, I didn't work any less than she did. I know it's pety to beupset about something like that, but I am. I never expected parties to be held in my honor. I never expected gifts or cards. I just wanted someone to say congratulations on your graduation. It was a dream of mine to go back to school.

So my question, do you feel it's different when someone graduates after being out of high school for quite a few years rather than someone who graduates after being fresh out of high school?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry nobody acknowledged how hard you worked. It was a big thing and they should have taken notice that you did it!
#3 of 5 Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM

I know how it feels myself.

2 years ago I graduated with my AA in music education. I did this while juggling 4 kids. I also managed to get a full scholarship to the local liberal arts college that costs 21,000 a year.

My parents gave me a check for $100.

My nephew graduated highschool not even 2 weeks later and he got a check for $500.

I felt extremely petty and selfish as well, but it hurt.

I am sorry you feel slighted. I know how hard it is to juggle school and family.

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I'm sorry.

Congratulations!
#5 of 5 Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 PM

I think graduating is an accomplishment that should be celebrated no matter what age you are. I was 28 and married when I got my BA, but my Mom & Did still treated me, dh and a few of my close friends to a nice dinner. That was one of the best days of my life aside from the birth of my kids and marriage. That said 2 years ago when I got my Masters I chose not to attend my graduation, I was 7 mos pregnant and it was hot, my Dad still thinks it was silly that I didn't go. Looking back I sorta wish I had gone but at that point, the whole family couldn't be together since my Mom had passed away a year earlier, my Granny was sick and my brother couldn't get the airfare.

In some ways graduating as an adult is a lot harder than as a kid, so there really needs to be some recognition IMO. I am sorry you didn't get it.

Congratulations!

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page