Are People *Really* That Dense? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today while I was grocery shopping, they were giving out free samples of some 3 cheese ravioli. Being the pregnant lady that I am, I smelled it and *had* to try it. (It smelled *really* good.) When I went up to the lady, she said "Hello SIR. This is X-brand 3 cheese ravioli......"

Um, I am *NOT* a *SIR*!!! If people *keep* calling me sir, I'm going to scream. I have long hair, but I wear a head covering, so I guess it's not *obvious* I have long hair, but I have a pregnant belly. : And other (presumably) obvious *female* parts. Do people not pay attention?!?!?!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

That's... Wow.

:

We have a large population of Jewish and Muslim folks here and MANY women wear head coverings. I've never mistakenly called one "sir." Clearly that person was not paying any attention to you!

That makes no sense.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 AM

I never understood why people can't just not say anything if they're not sure. Like what's wrong with "Oh, hello! Let me tell you about the ravioli!"

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#4 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Another wow.....sorry the person was not observant at allllll!

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#5 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 AM

yes, people are really that dense.
my dp has long hair...and also a really bushy thick goatee/beard but has been called ma'am in the checkout line.
i was twice called sir when i wore my hair very short...one time when i was wearing a dress and heels.
i think some ppl are purposely trying to be rude when they do that.

Mama to 3 boys 

#6 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Fay

Yes, people really are that dense!

So...what did you say in response?

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#7 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 AM

I have met many many dense people in my life...

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#8 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 AM

I just had an image of a sweet little pregnant lady patting her belly and saying "Careful. I ate the last person who called me 'sir'." and walking away.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#9 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 AM

she was probably on auto-pilot & not paying attention.
#10 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I just had an image of a sweet little pregnant lady patting her belly and saying "Careful. I ate the last person who called me 'sir'." and walking away.

laughup

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#11 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:

: That is the best comeback ever!

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#12 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I didn't say anything, partly because I never know *what* to say, and partly because... I dunno. ^ would be something of the type I would try to think of.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#13 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotevenn View Post
Or, possibly, doesn't realize "sir" is gender specific?
#14 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 AM

That person said the same speech hundreds of times that day and most likely was on autopilot.

Have you had an issue with a lot of people calling you sir or just this one person?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#15 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM

I saw a man today with man-boobs and a 'pregnant gut' (like, 8 months along, nice and round). It was definitely a man, he had hairy legs and a mustache. So basically, boobs and a belly don't necessarily qualify for "female criteria".

Also, since you cover your hair, perhaps your face is one that could go either way. I'm not saying you look like a man, but perhaps it's just without your hair visible, maybe you look like you might just be a very pretty man. (This statement might be coming out way too wrong; but honestly, I've seen some guys who are borderline female because they're so pretty.)

Another possibility: if the person had a hyper-outgoing attitude, they might have been 'joking'. I say "yes sir" to my friends that are girls sometimes, just 'cause I can. I probably wouldn't do it with strangers though, but that doesn't mean someone else mightn't.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#16 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That's just weird. I have accidentally said "yes ma'am" to a man and "yes sir" to a woman, but that wasn't because I actually thought they were of the opposite gender.
#17 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband looks like Grizzly Adams. Seriously, google that, then look at our pic in my profile.

So my DH, who has this ridiculously bushy beard is in the parking lot at a department store one day returning our cart. The person taking the carts back inside looked at him and said "I will take that for you Ma'am."

So I guess my answer to you is: yes, people really are that dense.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#18 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 AM

Is this thread making anybody else think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
#19 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 AM

Many many years ago I was with my boyfriend (now husband) who is 6 foot 3, shoulders almost as wide as he is tall, covered in hair and a beard bigger than his head. We had our arms around each other and a group of teenagers walked past and said "Look! Lesbians!" and giggled.
#20 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#21 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
:

Once, I went into a small corner market type store. My hair was in a ponytail, and I was sort of standing there blanking out while waiting for the surfer type guys in front of me to finish up. The cashier was talking to them, engaging them... then they left, the cashier turns to the register (he didn't look at me directly, just like a sideways glance so he knew the general position of where I was standing, you know?) and said "will that be all, sir?". I said yes, thank you. He looked at me and turned red instantly
#22 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM

she wasn't paying attention to you, really. Obviously!

how was the ravioli??
#23 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM

I had an old boss that was not a native speaker of English. Even though is English language skills were really great and he had a PhD he messed up he and she constantly. I know nothing about his first language, but I'm pretty sure there no distinction in it.

He offended people all the time and I don't think he ever noticed. I corrected him often, but stopped after a while because he'd get me these "stop being a mouthy subordinate" looks.

In this situation I think that the sample person had worked 15 hours straight and just didn't care anymore.
#24 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree. Imagine saying "have some ravioli" 300 times an hour. How long do you think you'd last before everyone started to look the same? I worked retail for a long time, after a while, you're just going through the motions.
#25 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
That person said the same speech hundreds of times that day and most likely was on autopilot.

Have you had an issue with a lot of people calling you sir or just this one person?
It's happened once before, but I was wearing girly-girl stuff (baby doll shirt, hair all prettied up (before I started covering), and make-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I saw a man today with man-boobs and a 'pregnant gut' (like, 8 months along, nice and round). It was definitely a man, he had hairy legs and a mustache. So basically, boobs and a belly don't necessarily qualify for "female criteria".

Also, since you cover your hair, perhaps your face is one that could go either way. I'm not saying you look like a man, but perhaps it's just without your hair visible, maybe you look like you might just be a very pretty man. (This statement might be coming out way too wrong; but honestly, I've seen some guys who are borderline female because they're so pretty.)

Another possibility: if the person had a hyper-outgoing attitude, they might have been 'joking'. I say "yes sir" to my friends that are girls sometimes, just 'cause I can. I probably wouldn't do it with strangers though, but that doesn't mean someone else mightn't.
Could be. If I was a guy, I'd be a durn purdy one. (But I don't have a mustache, I promise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post
she wasn't paying attention to you, really. Obviously!

how was the ravioli??
The ravioli was *fantastic!!!* So good, I actually was going to spend the $6.50 to get some, but they were all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
I agree. Imagine saying "have some ravioli" 300 times an hour. How long do you think you'd last before everyone started to look the same? I worked retail for a long time, after a while, you're just going through the motions.
I understand, but when I was working, I still tried to not do that.

#26 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I saw a man today with man-boobs and a 'pregnant gut' (like, 8 months along, nice and round). It was definitely a man, he had hairy legs and a mustache.
I'm all woman, but I have hairy legs. And I'd have a mustache too if I was less vain about facial hair (I do wax my upper lip.)

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#27 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM

I've been working in retail for many years, and although I've never done it myself, I've seen many people say things like that on accident. Usually it's a new person, who is very nervous and frazzled. Or an experienced person who is just really busy and got momentarily unfocused. And also, there really are people that dense--and I've worked with them .
#28 of 28 Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM

I said, "Thank you, ma'am" to the GUY working the rock wall at my gym the other day. I knew AS IT WAS COMING OUT that it was the wrong word. I corrected myself, apologized to him, and then said, "That was awesome of me. "

The sad thing is, I know several of the employees there, so I don't know WHAT was going on in my head.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page