April Showers Bring May Tea Swap! (SIGN-UPS CLOSED, lists posted, addresses sent!) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're nearly to the end of April, so I propose a new Tea Swap...we shall call it the April Showers Bring May Tea Swap!

Post in this thread by 12 Noon, Wednesday, April 27th if you are interested in participating.

I have had a number of people with non-MDC friends interested in participating that will be included in this swap. Please indicate if it is all right to share your address with non-MDC folks and I'll match you up appropriately.

As a twist on the last swap, feel free to add any preferences (decaf, loose tea, herbal, fruity, etc.). I will do my best to match you with other mamas with similar interests, but please keep in mind that the idea of the swap is to try something new, so if you receive tea you aren't interested in, please pass it along to further spread the tea love!

I'll get matches posted by Friday, April 29, and everyone should strive to get their envelopes mailed by Friday May 6th. That gives you a whole week to prep your envelopes!

Mamas who were part of the March swap: I already have your addresses, so you can chill.

New mamas: I will contact you for info.

Here are the rules (such as they are, and of course subject to change on a whim)!

Remember the Cardinal Rule: Keep It Simple.

1. You will be matched up with around ten other mamas and will receive a list of their addresses.

2. You are to send each person in your group a sample of your favorite tea.

3. You can send as little or as much as you'd like--a good average is 2-3 tea bags' worth in a standard #10 envelope. The idea is to keep this swap as cheap and easy as possible so don't stress yourself.

4. Please remember to include your MDC handle and any necessary tea descriptions with the tea you send so your recipient knows what they are getting and from whom!

5. Taste, compare, talk about it here!

That's pretty much it. Keep it simple, share the love.

On the topic of mailing, it has been found that taping tea bags/bagged loose tea to cardstock and inserting that in a #10 envelope helps keep it from sliding around and makes it easier to mail. It seems to be up to individual POs whether or not bulky envelopes are allowed at the standard 0.37 rate (mine got through, but others' did not). Check with your PO if you have questions. I'm thinking I might use 6 x 9 envelopes this time around, they generally cost 0.60 to mail. Keep it simple. Can I say that enough?

Please don't put yourself out financially and don't stress over what you send. If you like Lipton, send out Lipton. If you want to send each mama a suitcase full of canisters of exotic teas, feel free to do so and good karma on you. The mimimum is one envelope containing two servings of tea, I want to keep this affordable for everyone and as stress-free as possible.

Lastly...please note that this thread is a great place to discuss what you receive, and we all understand that not everyone will like everything they get. Let's keep it light and sweet and nice...if you get tea that tastes like mud, a simple "not for me" will do, and the sending mama won't take it personally. Just remember that it's the thought that counts, and I don't want ANYONE to feel badly that they sent the 'wrong' tea.

Get it?

Got it?

Good!

Subscribe!

boy:
My baby will sit on this thread and keep it warm for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:23 AM

I am IN!!!

#3 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 AM

I love the new thread title!!!

I'm so in on this, loving it.

My nursing babies boy: boy: like it better when I drink decaf but a cup of caffeine here or there won't kill me and I have a bunch of caffeinated teas I can send out.

Great for nature studies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

#4 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 AM

yep, count me in
#5 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Ooops, I forgot. The teas I especially enjoy would be chai types and vanilla types, I would love to try a chocolate one. I can drink any types, not nursing or pg.

I am not wild over fruity teas, I use a berry one for iced tea and add some lemon zinger to it, but I don't really like citrus-y tastes in hot tea.

#6 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! I am so excited to see responses already!

Just for the record: SEND ME ANYTHING! YARR!

We totally need a smilie dancing with a cup of tea.

Or at least a smilie in a teacup.

Maybe I should make one!

boy:
Baby says 'YARR'
#7 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
My nursing babies boy: boy: like it better when I drink decaf but a cup of caffeine here or there won't kill me and I have a bunch of caffeinated teas I can send out.
Are you tandem nursing? I see your drive-by boobie smilie. You'll have to forgive me as I don't get around much so I don't know people here too well yet. What ages are your milk addicts?

#8 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I'm in -- I the last one. I like most teas but have figured out that I hate jasmine tea. Bleh.

#9 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl
Are you tandem nursing? I see your drive-by boobie smilie. You'll have to forgive me as I don't get around much so I don't know people here too well yet. What ages are your milk addicts?

Yep, my little addicts are 9 weeks and 2 1/2 years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 AM

In like Flynn, baby. And, I don't mind being matched with non-MDC mamas.

May I please make one request, that I'm fairly confident many other mamas will agree with? No artificially flavored teas, please, or at least make sure they're clearly labeled? I got one (commercially labeled) teabag that was artificially vanilla flavored, and I react to vanillan so I couldn't use it. One teabag wasn't much, granted, and I will pass that one on to my Mom (and the rest of the teas in that shipment were *wonderful* ). But, it made me wonder if any of the teabags that weren't in commercially labeled packets might be artificially flavored.

On that note, if any mama's have other ingredient concerns - allergies or sensitivities to spices or herbs or anything else, please let us know and I, for one, will be happy to work around your needs
#11 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 AM

I am most defintely in! I the last swap. Thank you!

I am open to trying any teas. I love spicy and exotic but also enjoy a standard cuppa

KT : - Smitten mama to J & M : Looking for a local group in SEPA? - See my homepage!
#12 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson
In like Flynn, baby. And, I don't mind being matched with non-MDC mamas.

May I please make one request, that I'm fairly confident many other mamas will agree with? No artificially flavored teas, please, or at least make sure they're clearly labeled? I got one (commercially labeled) teabag that was artificially vanilla flavored, and I react to vanillan so I couldn't use it. One teabag wasn't much, granted, and I will pass that one on to my Mom (and the rest of the teas in that shipment were *wonderful* ). But, it made me wonder if any of the teabags that weren't in commercially labeled packets might be artificially flavored.

On that note, if any mama's have other ingredient concerns - allergies or sensitivities to spices or herbs or anything else, please let us know and I, for one, will be happy to work around your needs
how can I know if there are artificial flavors in there?? Where you from group C? that might have been me : I sent some german vanilla teas, I don't read german so I don't know if there was artificial flavours in it?? anyway, how can I know?? just in case we are matched up!

Oh, and as for preferences... I don't really care much for green tea, but I LOVE black teas, so anything black with flavors would be SO cool! I love raspberry, orange, lemon, and other fruit as well

Happty swaping, mamas!
#13 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Oh, the last one looked so fun! I want in! My only preference is that I don't really know what to do with loose tea; so I'd prefer bags.
#14 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
Happty swaping, mamas!
Okay, I know this was probably a typo, but I just LOVE it. I'm going to use it if you don't mind.

boy:
HAPPTY SWAPING!
#15 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 PM

Carmen, I was group D, so t'wasn't you

If it's in German... hm. I don't know how you'd find out. A good German-English dictionary, maybe? Otherwise, it should have a list of ingredients on the box or can, or if it was bulk you should be able to get the ingredients from the merchant if they aren't printed on the bulk bin.
#16 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM

I'm in! I learned so much about teas. I've bought lots of new ones to share!

My favorites the last swap were chai. I drink decaf, but dh will drink any with caffeine. I'd also love to try a chocolate.

Thanks Mainegirl for starting another one!
#17 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 PM

I probably sent one with art. flav. in group d - SORRY! I'm not sure it will be easy for everyone to avoid them but maybe we can all just include that in our requests? I dunno! Will let mainegirl decide :-)

I'm excited about this - you might remember that I'm a coffee-lover, who also drinks tea but not enthusiastically? well, no more! geez, I just wasn't drinkin' the right tea. I'd still choose my coffee if I had to pick one, but I'm excited to try more teas. Here are my wishes (but seriously, none of this is a NEED):

caff is fine but not necessary
loose or bags is fine
would love to try that chocolate type
stash is yummy!
chai is yummy too
#18 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM

I am IN!!! I love tea and have a nice little collection from all over Europe

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#19 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Count me in as well. I really enjoyed the last swap. It was great to get and try so many types of tea. I have still got a number of types to try yet.

My only real dislike is the taste of licorice or anise. I don't mind much anything else, but I have never enjoyed that flavour , much to my black licorice loving grandfathers shagrin :LOL .

Also, I think that somehow i screwed up and did not send tea to all the people I was suposed to. If you were in group B and did not recieve any tea from me, please let me know. I had a serious snafu at one point where we got sick, and I did not have enough stamps for postage requirements, and finally we got well, I dug aorund on my cluttered dining room table, found 4 envelopes needing sent, sent them, and thought " I am all done, right ?"

Then a few days later I saw another one on the floor and said "crap." so I redid it and sent that person some fresh, non stepped on, non colored on tea.But now I wonder who I forgot.

I would prefer to only send/recieve tea from other MDC moms. .. nothing personal, I just don't like giving my address out to too many folks.

Thanks !

#20 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl
Okay, I know this was probably a typo, but I just LOVE it. I'm going to use it if you don't mind.

boy:
HAPPTY SWAPING!
lol Jen, you're too much! it was a typo! but ok, if you say so, happty swapping!
#21 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
lol Jen, you're too much! it was a typo! but ok, if you say so, happty swapping!
That's SWAPING! You typoed your own typo! :LOL
#22 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm in. I'll trade with non-mdc mamas, if they're friends of mdc mamas they bound to be alright

I seem not to like the chais too much (I think it just easier to let starbucks make it for me) but I'm still trying them
and no chamaile, sorry my spelling sucks. I have terrible hayfever so I just stay away from it. Last swap a mama sent me some delish smelling honey vanilla chamolile I was so sad I couldn't drink it it smelled awesome. I gave it to my mil, and she was very happy with it. I scored some mil points for that one
So thank you to which ever group D mama that was.

Othert han that I'm willing to try anything, caf, herbal, green, white, spicy whatever

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#23 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 01:30 PM

Oh I never posted my likes - I love anything vanilla or nutty or deserty Also would love to try a chocolate tea! Also really like rose flavors - dying to try that Gypsy tea y'all keep talking about. Not a big fan of Chai.

Edited to add that I would prefer to stick with just MDC Mammas too. (No offense to anyone not an MDC Mamma!)

Avonlea - your post totally sounded like something I would write!!! Are you sure we're not sisters? :LOL

#24 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I am totally feeling and basking in the Tea Love in this thread. Loving it. I am tingling in anticipation for the Happty Swaping that shall soon commence!

I'm going to go crochet on my lunch break and think about what kinds of tea I want to send out this time!

boy:
My baby drinks tea indirectly!
#25 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM

YAY! Me too!
My preferences are....not a big fan of fruit teas with the exception of orange. And NO chamomile please
Thanks!
#26 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My preferences are as follows (please use as guidelines, I'll still be happy-and maybe even pleasantly surprised-if it's something different):

1. Decaf preferred, especially herbal or naturally decaf like rooibos
2. I prefer flavored teas (e.g., floral, spicy, fruity, chocolaty, etc.) to nonflavored (e.g., plain black or green). I don't especially care for citrus teas or teas with a lot of rosehip and/or hibiscus action.
3. Prefer natural to artificial flavors.
4. It seems that chamomile is not working with my allergies, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.
5. I'd LOVE to try that vanilla pear rooibos mentioned on the last thread

Thank you! What a great swap.

ETA: I'd also welcome the opportunity to SEND caff. teas as I have a stash of many flavors I've bought for DH trying to tempt into my tea-loving world to no avail.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girlsĀ  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#27 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

We already have 15 mamas signed up! How awesomely awesome!

mainegirl (uh oh, look out...I hear she's a real pain in the ass)
Simply Nurtured
HelloKitty
loving-my-babies
OhMel
tboroson
snoodess
kofduke* (New to Tea Swap Love)
leomom
benjalo
spatulagirl* (New to Tea Swap Love)
Avonlea
Azreial
tofumama
Mamatoto2

(Sorry, I've had just a wee bit too much coffee today.)

I can already tell that this swap is going to be crazy. But that, fortunately, is just the way I like it!

Now...

...the first rule of Tea Swap is you do not talk about Tea Swap!

I will choose randomly from the first five mamas who can correctly tell me what that statement is in reference to and you will get a prize! Post to this thread with your answer.

...I'm not sure what the prize is, yet, as I'll send you something random-yet-nifty from my house.

:LOL
#28 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 PM

I'm in, too! Fun, fun, fun!

I don't mind sharing with non-MDC mamas, and I don't care what kind of tea I get (although I prefer something a bit more interesting than plain tea--unless it's incredibly good quality). I'll pretty much drink anything with enough honey/sugar in it! : :LOL

Off to find some new favorites to share.....
#29 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 04:13 PM

You are majorly silly today Mainegirl! :LOL You are making me smile and my coworkers are starting to look concerned!

I want a prize! Is your reference to China White's sig line, er, I mean Fight Club?

KT : - Smitten mama to J & M : Looking for a local group in SEPA? - See my homepage!
#30 of 339 Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoodess
You are majorly silly today Mainegirl! :LOL You are making me smile and my coworkers are starting to look concerned!
Yeah she's been cracking me up all day!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page