need some advice... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2018, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need some advice...

My husband and I have been fostering 3 wonderful children now for 5 months. We have had no problem with them. The problem is with DHS.

We told DHS we were looking for permanent wards and after placement found out they were temporary ward. We decided to keep and see this through. We told the social worker that we wanted to stay invisible to the legal guardian and did not want to meet or see them. At first DHS was fine with that, but now DHS still questions why we don't want to have a relationship with the guardian. DHS went as far as saying "Do you think it would be in the children's best interest if we pull the children out and place them in a foster home that would be willing to have communication with the legal guardian?"

I was very upset at that statement. We have been mislead and misinformed about these children guardian situation from the beginning and still love and want these children in our home. We just do not want to have a face to face relationship.

I would like to know what you think about this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
To start, I do not foster parent myself but have friends who do.

Could you and your spouse work towards such a meeting with the legal guardian? Understanding that it isn't something you are keen on but could you talk through it and get to that place?

Overall, the children will likely stay with you. This is you doing everything you can to work with DHS to get you to that goal.
#3 of 3 Old 06-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
It's very common for foster parents to be in contact with birth family. This is how it usually works. Can you articulate your reasons for not wanting this contact so we can understand better?

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page