Good fit and/or adoption experiences (older teens, especially) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good fit and/or adoption experiences (older teens, especially)

I can go into more detail about our situation, if requested, but the gist is that we've had a teenager in our care for almost 2 months now and he has blended in extremely well with our family. The social worker said she's never seen him so relaxed and the caseworker said she's never had a placement go so well, especially of an older teen. We are in love with this kid and he refers to us as his family when talking with friends on the phone. We are amazed, especially considering his background (very at-risk kid and we are required to continue on to do intensive services training to keep him in our care).

My question is, has anyone else had something work out this well and what did you do moving forward? If adoption was an option, did you pursue it? Did it change the dynamic at all? If so, how?

If adoption was not an option, what happened? If the ultimate outcome was independent living, did you stay in touch? How involved were you when the kid moved out? What about reunification or staying with another family member? That last one isn't an option for our kid but I'm still curious, in case this sort of thing comes up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-23-2018, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
These are great questions! I hope those with similar experiences pipe in!!

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page