My late birth story of my homebirth New Years Baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 10-19-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After everyone and their mother telling me there was no way I would make it to my due date. Here I was 1 week after my LMP date and exactly on my ovulation edd.
My uterus has been pretty irritable for most part of the pregnancy. I had contractions pretty much non stop since about 20 weeks. These contractons made me nervous that I wouldn't know when labor would actually start.

About a week before Erin was born I had good consistant, strong contractions that caused me to really focus. I called my doula and she came right over. My midwife achecked me and I was 3 cm and 75% effaced and I really had to focus on these contractions because I was having back labor. We all thought this was it. After 4 hours they stopped. I was soo frustrated and tired and miserable.
I cried so hard. My doula put a reminderband on my wrist that said "trust birth" and told me stories of other mamas who had this practice labor and how it's completely normal.

Over the next week I looked at my wrist and read "Trust Birth" It helped me stay calm and really focus. I knew that my body knew what it was doing. I actually envisioned my water breaking at the onset of labor after a good nights rest.

I woke saturday morning the 1st at the same time my water broke(6.55am). I had a great nights sleep which I hadn't had in several months.

I wasn't really having too many contractions so I was just going about my day just being excited that I was about to meet my new baby. My mom was sceduled to fly in and we planned to meet her at the airport but decided to just hang out at home in case things picked up.
My midwife came over abour 8 am to check heart tones and then left. She said she would come back around noon to check heart tones again.
My doula came over about 9:30 and decided a walk might do some good. We went walking around my neighborhood and still my contractions weren't anything special. A few neighbors noticed and asked when I was leaving for the hospital. I just smiled and kepted visualizing my cervix opening.
After the walk I started having some contractions but they only lasted 30-40 seconds. Around 11:30 we decided to go outside again because it was so nice out. My contractions picked up but were only about 40 seconds long and still nothing to think that I was actaully in labor. I went and visited with a lady down the street to let her know I was in labor. She was excited and cheered me on.
My mom showed up from the airport about noon and didn't even think I was in labor. I was outside talking ejoying the weather. She was great keeping my other 2 dd's occupied.
About 12:30 they were coming every 2 minutes and I called my midwife to see when she was coming over. She totally lost track of time. My contractions were never painful and weren't anything different from what I had been having for several months now.
12:40 I was on my knees leaning over my birth ball when I felt the baby flip in my tummy and that's when the contractions changed to some great intensity. That flipped hurt and definitly brought tears to my eyes. I'm assuming my baby was sunny side up.
My contractions still were only abour 50 seconds long. I decided to eat lunch between contractions because I figured I had all day of labor. My contractions were still 2 minutes apart but becoming a bit more intense. I told Jeff to start filling up the pool. My midwife finally showed up(12.55).
I decided to go into my room to labor because they were getting intense and I wanted some quiet time.
After a few contractions I wanted in the water because I was having back labor. At that point I didn't care if I wasn't very far along, I really wanted some relief for my back. I still didn't think I was very far because my contractions were only lasting about 50 seconds.
So I get in the water and it felt sooo good. After 2 contractions my midwife checked me and I was only a 5. I wish she never would have checked me because it made me loose focus. The contractions were SOOOO intense. I was thinking there was no way I could get through transition. I felt like a wimp. My contractions were still not lasting more than 50 seconds but they were killer and I was not getting any breaks between. All of a sudden it felt as if my body took over. I flipped to my back and started pushing. Nothing hurt anymore, I just felt relief. I also felt as if I had no control, my body knew exactly what it needed to do. My midwife was caught off gaurd and did a quick check to find the baby right there. As the baby was crowning they thought for sure she was going to be over 10 lbs. Her head was 14.5 cm
I went form 5cm to baby in less then 20 minutes.
Erin Alexis was born at 1:57 pm 1 hour after the contractions changed.
Even if I was planning on going to the hospital I would have never made it. My contractions never got longer than 60 seconds but boy was it the most intense thing I have ever been through in my life. The sex was a surprise and I'm so happy that I got another dd.

So 1/1/05 was my oringinal due date based off my ovualtion. 9lbs 12 oz big girl. My tailbone was soooo sore for the next week after the birth. I had a 2nd degree tear on the inside because she came soo fast but nothing on the outside. I was able to slow her coming out to prevent any more tearing. Her faced a bit bruised because of her fast birth but and she decided to stay up all night long. I was sore and tired but so glad to not be pregnant anymore :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great story - wishing my labor will be as quick

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page