Cross-posted: ? about bi-lobed placentas - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 12-01-2004, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I posted this in Birth and Beyond, but someone suggested this was a better forum to use...any help would be very much appreciated!!!)

Hi all!

I'm working on processing through my daughter's birth two and a half years ago, and was wondering if anyone can help me understand a bit more about bi-lobed placentas. We had a difficult labor on pitocin and at one point when I was on a birthing ball, her heart rate dropped dramatically. I was rushed into the bed on my left side, oxygen mask on, midwife scrambling, me out of my head with right-on-top-of-each-other contractions, everyone was frantic and trying to figure out what to do. Once I had changed positions, DD's heart rate went back to normal, but fear made my midwife insist that I stay on my left side with the oxygen until, many hours (and an epidural) later, I was fully dilated and able to push DD out.

When my midwife had broken my water for me, it came out clear. When DD's head came out, though (about 4 hours later), it was covered in meconium. Then, about half an hour later when my placenta delivered, I suddenly had a room full of gaggling residents and curious nurses, all there to see the "fascinating" bi-lobed placenta I had delivered. I was made to believe that my daughter's health and even survival, as well as mine, were something of a miracle, given the fact that the placenta looked like lungs, and had a tiny umbilical vein connecting the two sides.

My questions:

1. Why does this happen?

2. Will it happen with future pregnancies?

3. Is it dangerous enough that, if they recognize it via ultrasound, they would insist on a c-section?

Thanks in advance, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-01-2004, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Debi- I'm not a midwife, doula, or other practioner BUT I did read your post over on the birth thread. Then I did a "google" search on bilobed placentas out of curiousity. What I found out was 1) this is not uncommon (I think the statistic was several hundred out of a thousand) 2) it can be fatal for the babe, as I am not a medical professional this may not be entirely correct as it is my interpretation of what I read, if the vessels are on the outside of the placenta it can cause the babe to bleed. The big risk for this is the first trimester. Once you are beyond the first trimester the risk goes down quite a lot because the vessels must not be on the outside. I guess I didn't answer any of your questions...oh, I did read that if it happens once to a momma it is more likely to happen again. I didn't read why it happens. I would think it would not be a cause for emergency c-section because the big risk is over after the 1st trimester. But I could be wrong about all of this as I am a laywoman. I'm interested to see what our practioners have to say...

Happy Holidays,

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page