Essential equipment for a midwife apprentice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to start an apprenticeship, and would like to slowly start building up midwifery equipment since it's so pricey. What would you consider essentials?

So far I have a littmann stethoscope, and a welch allyn aneroid blood pressure monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 AM

A personal bag with
..change of clothes, down to new socks and undies and bra
..food
..drink
..medications you take
..toothbrush and deodorant

A prenatal bag with...
..stethoscope
..BP cuff with large and regular sizes
..pregnancy wheel
..tape measure
..fetoscope (I have an ebay one that works great!)
..reflex hammer
..otoscope
..doppler and gel

Postpartum bag...
..Scale
..Umbilical clamp cutter
..Metabolic screening supplies
..Thermometer

Emergency birth kit...
Blanket
Gloves
Bulb or delee
Umbilical Clamp
Hemostats and scissors
Suture instruments (for your practice long before needed for actual client care)

You could get most of this together really quickly and leave the rest for slow accumulation. The birth bag stuff will come from your midwife, like gloves and a bulb and clamp. I love ebay for getting stuff cheap to be replaced later.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM

A preceptor oh, and a watch with a second hand.

I got my own really cheap bp cuff and steth, just to practice on, but mostly I use my preceptor's stuff. Her is better and nicer than what I can afford anyway, and she doesn't mind -- thanks, L!

All I really bring to prenatals is my own paperwork that I have to fill out, along with a clipboard and pen.

Heart and Hands has a very basic list of what midwives carry. It's either in the first chapter or two, or in one of the appendixes.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 

#4 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

I would start accumulating everything you need to do a prenatal (stethoscope, BP cuff, doppler/gel, tape measure and wheel). Then I would ask your preceptor to put together either a list of what she wants in a precip pack or a precip pack for you.

You should be okay with those things for quite a while. Everything in your prenatal kit will allow you to do vitals if you're labor-sitting (okay, maybe add a thermometer to your bag), and will allow you to do a prenatal as well. The postpartum stuff (sling/scale, etc) are relatively affordable and you can add them as you go.

I find that people tend to really spend on midwifery equipment when you don't really need to. For example, I've been practicing for 4 years and don't have a Littman (though it IS next on my list!). My scale was $14 at Academy (I check it for accuracy occasionally) and I made my own sling for it. Buy what you can afford and when you have paying clients, you can replace it with the pricey stuff later--if you decide you really need it.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page