Which distance CPM program? - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By medowswt

#1 of 1 Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which distance CPM program?

I am going back and forth trying to find the right path for me to midwifery. I am not a nurse, but as the law in NY now requires a M.S. in midwifery (either leading to a CM or CNM) I had thought that was my only option. And since I am not a nurse, and can't move away from home, that would leave Philadelphia U as the only possible program. HOWEVER, I am not at all interested in learning a medical model of birth and feel very drawn to doing a CPM program somewhere! It may seem crazy to embark on a program that is currently illegal in my state, but I just can't bring myself to work for something I can't throw my whole heart and soul into.
So my question is, if I abandon the CM idea and go for the CPM idea, which program would I choose? Currently the two I am considering are Mercy in Action and Birthwise, but reading other forum posts from a while back made me question this. I am very self-motivated and enjoy learning on my own (long-time homeschooling mom) and am not thrilled with having to do assignments that may or may not add to my learning. In addition I would like to be able to work faster than the schedule might allow - my kids are all grown and gone and I have LOTS of time to devote to this pursuit, so I don't want to hold back and keep to the school schedule. Given that thought, are there programs that are more suitable? More self-paced? I do need the structure of some program (don't want to just study for three years on my own and then take the exam), and would like to get feedback from the program. I have already lined up at least one very supportive midwife to preceptor me.
Would appreciate hearing experiences. I did several years of Apprentice Academics (now called AAMI) back in the day, but it was much TOO much busy work that was not pulling it all together for me.
Thanks, Barb
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page