Anyone using Mederma for Stretch Marks? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So....about a week and a half or so ago it happened.....I noticed the beginning of belly stretch marks. When I first saw them I thought they were tiny bruises as they were dark and roundish. Then I thought about it and knew I hadn't been hit or poked to cause a bruise...so....they must be stretch marks starting. And....then....as the days past by...I noticed (on a daily bases) that they got increasingly larger and red. They went from being about the size of a dime (when first noticed) to some being an inch or two long and one long one even about 3 1/2 inches long!

It's a hard thing to bear....knowing that all the lotions and belly oils I've been using for months haven't helped at all for getting them. They are still nice to use because they help with the itchy skin, but....for preventing stretch marks....no.

I recently found a product called Mederma for Stretch Marks. It is a tube that sells for around $27-$40. Now....I was curious because when I had a surgery years ago my Dr. suggested I use Mederma for Scars. If a Doctor is pushing it....it must be safe, right? And...it must work, right?

My husband and I have been researching online to see if this product is safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding (the plan) because although most of the ingredients are safe (botanical like onion, soy, etc.) there's multiple Parabens. What are Parabens? Per Wikipedia: Parabens are a class of chemicals widely used as preservatives by cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. I've read elsewhere that those are supposed to be avoided all together (if possible) but ESPECIALLY during pregnancy because they have been found in 9 out of 10 women diagnosed with cancer.

However, we also found medical websites stating that the product is safe to use during pregnancy and that the sooner you use it (when stretch marks are first noticed) the more effective the results will be! And that Doctors were advised to hand out samples to their interested patients, etc.

Very confusing indeed.

So....I've been tossing around the idea of trying it out or not. What to do? I only have 4-8 weeks left of this pregnancy (I am 33 weeks today) and 37 is considered full term, so if he's early it'd be 4 weeks from now....if he's late by a week past my due date, it'd be 8 weeks away. So....I am not in the first trimester where the development is going on....which would be the most dangerous time of pregnancy to try out a questionable product. That gives me a sense that maybe.....just maybe....he's healthy and strong enough (since he's fully developed and just growing now) to handle a few chemicals that cross over to him the next few weeks.

As far as breastfeeding goes.....we haven't looked that up yet, but will soon. I don't believe that topical products used by the nursing Mom are quite as big of deal as using products during pregnancy, but I could be wrong....this is our first child, so I've never breastfed before or know the 411 on it.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, tips, stories, experiences or questions?

I would LOVE the feedback and input!

Thanks.....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Leanne 36, SAHM married 17 yrs to Josh 39.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8/08,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7/10,
born 2/18/12 and
4/14. Welcoming BOY #2
around 11/24/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

i use the Weleda for stretch marks but i don't have any so far this pregnancy.  i have a few from my previous ones though and in odd places like my sides only or closer to my knees!  not sure that any special formula actually works but keeping the skin supple and lubed may be the key!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM

All you can do to avoid them is keep hydrated and the skin supple. All the potions and creams in the world won't make a difference if you're genetically prone to get them. I use Earth Mama Angel Baby stretch oil to help with the itches.

As far as parabens, I avoid them almost exclusively except for when I'm in a bind, like this week when I forgot to pack body soap for my move to San Diego, we're tight on cash, so Aveeno body wash will have to do for now. Same thing with sunblock. I also judge how often do I plan on using it and for how long. Unfortunately, paraben free products aren't always affordable nor accessible, so do the best you can.

I highly recommend Earth Mama products or California Baby. Dr. Browner's products are great too. Try Amazon.com. I would say no to the Medela cream because it isn't worth the money. Emu oil was recommended to my sister when she was recovering from a liver transplant, worked much better than Medela actually.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

#4 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 AM

I got stretch marks with my 2nd pregnancy, but no new ones this time. I never tried that specific product so I can't offer any insight, but I know how sad it is to see those little red marks pop up. With DS2 I got them on my insides of my knees and my lower stomach, below my belly button. Months after birth (and even now) they're barely visible. You can't see the ones on my legs unless you're REALLY looking for them, and I wear skirts all of the time and no one notices. I can barely find them half of the time. The ones on my stomach are more noticeable now that my belly is so big, but still totally bearable. They do fade over time, and nothing I did after DS2 helped other than time. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I just wanted to mention.....finally.....that after seeing my OB and asking her (I actually brought the tube of Mederma in to show her for her to look at the ingredients, etc.) if it's safe to use....she already was familiar with it and said "Yes, it's totally safe" and that "there are parabens in everything pretty much, so our bodies are used to them".

Basically....I've been using it (not 100% as directions say....twice a day....I sometimes do it once) but....it is a thicker, richer cream than my Aveeno body lotion, so it sinks in better. The smell isn't the most appealing.

It says it takes 4-12 weeks to notice results. I will be having our son around then, and will most likely keep growing a bit more until then, so I'm not really concerned about SEEING results just yet....but I know that the sooner you use it (as in when you first see the stretch marks) the better it works to minimize the redness, etc.

Side note: I do not think you are supposed to use it on your breasts after pregnancy if you are going to be breastfeeding!

Leanne 36, SAHM married 17 yrs to Josh 39.
8/08,
7/10,
born 2/18/12 and
4/14. Welcoming BOY #2
around 11/24/16.
#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMama2Be View Post

she already was familiar with it and said "Yes, it's totally safe" and that "there are parabens in everything pretty much, so our bodies are used to them".

When it comes to parabens, either you choose to be ok with them or you don't. There is much research that says opposite of what your doctor says. Whether or not you draw the line there, is up to you. There are a lot of things we use, in the US, that are banned in other countries. I try to avoid parabens, but am not always successful. Just like eating orgainic. I do my best.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 AM

Hi, I recently become a mother! But I went through Sigerine delivery. So yes I had stretch marks on my belly. I then used dermrejuve serums. They basically have three serums. I bought all of them and it costs me only $50 or so (I can't remember exactly) and their serums are really good! All my stretch marks are gone with only 4 weeks of use. May be you could try trier serums too. Here is the link: dermrejuve.com
#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2017, 05:06 AM

I purchased Dermalmd Stretch Mark Serum to help with my stretch marks after having a baby two years ago. I absolutely love it for a few different reasons. A.) It does seem to be helping fade the stretch marks on my upper legs and hips! B.) It smells sooooo good. I think because of the cocoa butter, but it smells very natural (my fiancé compared it to the smell of a Milky Way.) and C.) It makes my skin so smooth, so even if it doesn't fade the marks as well as you'd like, it's great for your skin!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page