Supplies after c-section - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Supplies after c-section

Hi Moms,

I was told that I may require a c-section... What supplies should I have on hand after my c-section? (For the next few weeks). I already have baby care supplies, but I am wondering if I need anything for myself that will make life easier as I recover.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I found it hard to pee after the catheter was removed. Squirting warm water from a peri bottle helped to get it flowing.

You don't want to be straining to poop, so consider stool softeners for the first few days.

Jolly ranchers if you have general, and a pillow to hold on your tummy for the coughing.

After my first I was told to keep the incision dry, after my second I was toss to wash it. Both times, I found it helpful to lay a CPF for along the cut to keep the loose belly flap from rubbing and to keep it all dry. I'm also a HUGE fan of those netted panties the hospital gives you. Excellent airflow. Ask the nurse to hook you up with extras before you go home.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, what is a CPF?

#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Get some probiotics. I ended up with thrush from the antibiotics.

Stool softener and some kind of anti gas med or supplement.

Line up or precook as many meals as possible. DH was so taken up by caring for me so I could care for baby that food was really stressful.

I really hope you don't have to get one. The actual surgery isn't bad, but the recovery is like having labor drawn out over time.
#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
You don't want to be straining to poop, so consider stool softeners for the first few days.
THIS THIS THIS. Start the Miralax before you go to the hospital and take it religiously. I didn't poop for a week after my c-section and it was AWFUL. You can't bear down because it hurts, and your gut basically shuts down after surgery so constipation is a universal problem after surgery.

Make sure you have some loose-fitting pants - pressure on your incision or lower abdomen is really uncomfortable. I lived in two pair of yoga pants for the first few weeks post-partum.

You will not likely be cleared to drive for two weeks after birth, so make arrangements as needed.

Getting out of bed is difficult, too. I was able to pull up using the bedsheets so that my arms did the work instead of my abs. DH also helped with that, too.
#6 of 8 Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you !
#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is my list after every c-section:
- water bottle to carry everywhere with you
- Miralax or Colace for the constipation, maybe even a few glycerin suppositories if the first few doses of miralax or colace don't get things moving. I prefer to do this rather than let things get really backed up.
-Fresh fruit. Have someone stop and get some for you with your pain meds. Also helps with the constipation.
- Pads. I use cloth pads, so if you don't use those, stock up on your disposable ones. I also use my cloth pads or newborn prefolds to place against the incision when I go to get up.
- comfy underwear that aren't along the bikini line.
- dresses or nightgowns so you can wear something not against your incision
- I use a hair dryer to keep my incision clean after getting out of the shower.
- Motrin/Tylenol for when you no longer need the pain meds.
- Peri bottle to keep things clean and help with getting urine going.
- Chucks pads or similar to keep on the bed where you lay. You aren't going to be able to get up as fast if you feel a gush and it's helpful to have that extra layer of protection for accidents. Also handy when sleeping, if you are breastfeeding.

Pretty much all of that will come in handy even if you don't have to have a c/s. Hopefully, you will just be overprepared!

~~~Jennifer~~~
Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (18), DSS2 (14), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (11), DSS4 (10), DS1 (8), DD2 (2) and DS2 (1) and due November 2015!
#8 of 8 Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here's to hoping that you don't need one and please research the whole c-section thing and how much they are over-used and unnecessary much of the time if you have time now if you have time before you give birth. It may not make a difference for you in the end, but if you have time and reason to fight, you should be informed so that you don't end up with unnecessary c-sections for this or subsequent births. I don't mean to worry you with all this, and please ignore me if it's not important to you, it's just that I didn't know until it was too late. But if you reach the conclusion that it is necessary, be real with yourself and come to terms with it beforehand (I didn't, even though I was told it might be necessary and had alot of birth trauma because of it).

But if you do end up with a c-section, here are some things that did or would have made my life so much easier and less painful:
You will have a catheter. My nurses told me to drink alot of water. Here's where things took an excruciating twist. The day after the surgery, the nurses took out the catheter and I promptly fell asleep. When I woke, I had the worst pain that I have ever felt in my entire life because my bladder was full and pressing against my incision. So make sure you pee often after they take the catheter out. Seriously, as soon as you get the slightest twinge over the days following the surgery, force yourself up and go pee!

The other unmanageable pain was from gas. Again, nurses told me to eat a lot of fiber so that I could have a bowel movement soon after the birth. But eating all of those fruits and veggies produces gas and gassy intestines, once again, push against your incision. The nurses gave me gas medicine, which helped, but if you were to take that right away, you could probably save yourself some pain. At home, I used apple cider and stool softeners to get things moving.

The prescription meds that you will be sent home with can cause constipation, among other assorted problems and weaning yourself as soon as possible to tylenol or motrin is a good idea, so have some on hand.

Getting out of bed and walking are tough. We have a wheeled office chair that I used to get around (because you're supposed to stay in bed, but you have a newborn who needs you to move and sometimes you're hungry or need to go to the bathroom!) If you feel a bit more mobile, you may just want to hold a pillow to your stomach while you walk to provide some pressure to your incision.

Having a boppy or pillows on hand to nurse will help, as your core won't have much strength and tiny toes kicking your incision isn't pleasant, so you need to protect that area. Also, keeping water/snacks/books/tv remote wherever you nurse or station yourself and other places where you might not be able to get up immediately(bedside, etc.) from is a good idea so that you can limit necessary trips. With all of mine, not only my first, who was a c-sec, I kept a basket near my "station" with water, snacks, diapers, washcloths, extra baby nightgowns, motrin, baby potty (we did EC) so that I wouldn't have to get up so often.

Also, have meals ready in your fridge and freezer for a few weeks. If you have a church group or family or friends who can stock your freezer or bring things nightly, that will help more than you can imagine. It's tough enough to cook with a newborn; to cook when you can't even stand is just awful. My c-section was with my first, so I managed well enough on my own without my husband at home or anybody to stay with us, but my mother did come by and make lunch for me, so if you can line somebody up just to check in and make sure that you are mobile enough to eat or feed you if not, it would help.

Hope this helps!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page