non-vax friend's kids have chicken pox - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
non-vax friend's kids have chicken pox

I have a friend who doesn't vaccinate and she just let me know her kids have chicken pox. We were not hanging out while the kids were contagious, thank goodness.

So here's my paranoid chicken pox question. All my kids are vaccinated for it, but my youngest is too young to have had both shots. I take medicine that decimates my immune system, so while I had the chicken pox (which was hell on earth, I feel terrible for her kids), I'm unsure if I'm still immune because of the medicine. Since we're friends, she's been borrowing some of my baby stuff and carriers and things. How long can herpes zoster live on fabrics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
My daughter only got the first shot (we then moved from us to uk where there is no routine varicella vaccine). She didn't get chicken pox when her younger (non-vaccinated) brother got it (miserable 2 weeks), so one shot seems to have worked for her to be immune. I assume the exposure to her brother means she got a natural booster also which I suppose is a positive of that awful couple of weeks.
#3 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 AM

There's likely stats somewhere on the fraction of kids who will develop immunity following just the first shot.

#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Since I'm immune compromised, how long should I avoid her and her kids, and how long should I wait for her to bring my baby stuff back?
#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 AM

I have no idea. That might be one to ask your doctor. I think once the spots crust over you're not supposed to be contagious any more - but presume that's defined by people with fully functional immune systems.

Hope it works out ok.
#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I put a call in to our Pediatrician who said it can live outside the body for 24-48 hours, so that's good to know. I can just avoid them until both of her kids get it (she has one school aged kid and a baby), and it should be fine.

Unfortunately, she's been all over the community, including playdates with pregnant women, and we were supposed to get together early this week, and just just mentioned her sick older daughter on the phone as an aside, so I have to admit, I'm kind of annoyed that she's not taking this seriously. I know she blows off my health issues, but my own illness aside, there are people in the community who could become seriously ill from chicken pox, and possibly even die, and she is just flippantly spreading this to strangers like it's nothing.
#7 of 7 Old 02-07-2016, 12:39 PM

I'm curious how your kids are doing. From what I recall chicken pox incubates for about 2 weeks. Any sign?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page