Increasing Fluids - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 09-25-2018, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Increasing Fluids

Hi everyone! My 9.5 month old is having such a hard time pooping. She goes every day or every other day, but it is always hard and dry, and it hurts her to get it out. She’s been holding it in lately too which I’m sure is just making it worse when she does eventually go.
She has been on solids for two and a half months now.
We’ve tried fiber rich foods (she will eat almost anything we offer). We offer water with each meal and throughout the day. She drinks 5-6 bottles a day, but only wants 3 oz or so at a time.
We saw the doctor recently and she said her diet is great, and suggests increasing formula to 24oz a day minimum. She suggested a suppository if she hasn’t gone in a few days (they get her to poop, but it’s still painful for her and I know they’re not a long term solution), then if no improvement to try Miralax. At this point I’m fine trying Miralax if it helps my baby poop pain-free. But I’m concerned that she doesn’t drink as much formula as the doctor advised. She drinks 22oz a day if we’re lucky, and that’s after reintroducing a late night bottle which we had been able to cut out months ago. She turns away and refuses to drink after 3oz, 4oz if we’re lucky. Sometimes she’ll only drink 2oz at a time.
Each bowel movement is a day long event, with me trying to catch her when she’s holding it in, then forcing her knees to her chest and physically pulling it out as she’s pushing. It’s becoming traumatic. I feel like her system just needs some time to heal by cutting out solids for a while (we’ve already tried this and it was successful) but I’m concerned that when we put solids back in this will just keep happening. It seems that the root cause is she’s not getting enough fluids, and I don’t know how to get her to take more. I’m discouraged too, because my first daughter was and is an extremely picky eater, so it’s been a relief to see this baby trying and enjoying a wide variety of foods and flavors and I’d hate to discourage that.
Can anyone offer advice? I do wonder if she has a sensitivity to dairy, but I don’t think that’s causing this as we don’t give her any dairy and her formula has been “lacto-relief” for months.
Thank you for any suggestions or thoughts!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page