How to choose the right mattress for my toddler? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
lud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to choose the right mattress for my toddler?

Hi! I'm new to the forum,my son is 20 months old and he's really an awesome boy! I want to make a Montessori-bed for him, and a large one (120x190cm) so that he will love to sleep there, and equally important, to wake up there.

My question is - how do I choose the right mattress for him? which type of mattress will fit best as a montessori-bed? how about softness-hardness? ideal height? can it be a regular mattress or does it have to be made for toddlers/kids? any other specs I should know about and not compromise on when buying it?

The frame is custom-made by my dad who is a carpenter, he did a fantastic frame which really looks like a home. I can't wait to build it and match a mattress to it!

I would appreciate any advice that you may have. Thanks!

PS. I live in Switzerland so if you know about European brands or other info that is relevant here, I'd be grateful if you could share it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
board+Blanket
#3 of 4 Old 04-18-2018, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there! Choose such mattresses for your toddler which provides firmness, softness and completely organic. As organic mattresses are non-allergens and non-toxic as well, which helps to stay away from getting infected, as it is made from natural cotton. Children are having sensitive skin, so it is better to provide them such mattresses which is completely safe for them. I believe in getting organic mattresses which are totally made from natural cotton. One of my friends who lives in US bought natural organic mattress from this site for her toddler. I think you should also look for organic mattresses in your particular area.

#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't have experience with Montessori-bed, though I do have some useful tips for toddler bedding, since I was in charge of choosing one for my nephew.

First - children need a sleeping surface that is more supportive due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation.
Twin XL is a good size for a single. It can be used for a kid at any age and for adult guests. Also, the bedding can go to college where dorms commonly use Twin XL.
And, from my experience, the typical 100% Latex/foam mattress will be soft around the edge. A soft edge can interfere with a parent snuggling their child in bed, reading a book, sharing their day. And it's not the best seating surface, which a kid might prefer for himself and friends. A traditional (and less expensive) innerspring mattress (we have Signature sleep coil for instance) could be a better fit.

Also - with any mattress, you are considering, but especially for children, I would also make sure that all the foams listed in the mattress have safety certifications.

Tags
bed , mattress , Montessori , Toddler

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page