Need help with child who reacts to water :( - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need help with child who reacts to water :(

My son can only drink bottled water since moving to Delaware. (We lived in upstate NY with a well since his birth up until Sept 2015). When we first moved to a rental in DE and I knew we were on public water, I bought Deer Park gallons and he did fine with that. When we bought a house in late March, we started drinking water from the charcoal fridge filter, since i knew it would eliminate the chlorine (no fluoride is added to the water here.) DS8, a typically easy-going and happy child, started having violent meltdowns. Sometimes they would last hours. I looked at what was different since we moved into the house, and the water was all I could come up with. Started buying the Deer Park again, and the meltdowns were completely eliminated.

Because I don't want him drinking bottled water forever, I purchased a reverse osmosis a few weeks ago with charcoal filter and remineralizer. But the same thing happened -- he started raging until I put him back on the Deer Park. We had the water tested: the reverse osmosis (and the fridge filter, for that matter) is removing the chlorine. The water is tested before coming to our house for all common bacteria/viruses. It has no fluoride. What else could it be?

Took DS to a funtional chiropractor, who did bloodwork. Mildly high white blood cell count and TSH. Slightly low vitamin D. But because of James' symptoms, he recommended a neurologist.

Functional neurologist put him through a battery of tests and tells us DS has traumatic brain injuiry to his mesencephalon. And yes, he had a concussion that could explain that. But why can't he drink the water?? Doc says the TBI explains his symptoms and wants to do a type of neuro therapy, but before we go through the distance and expense and stress of that… my instincts tell me we are missing something. Why can't this kid drink the water? Even my autistic ten-year-old isn't having an issue with it, and he is very chemically sensitive.

I am considering taking him to an epidiologist at Mr Sinai. But Mothering has smart intuitive moms who have enlightened me with info in the past. If anyone has ANY idea what could be the issue here, please, please post or PM me. Thank you so much.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
My first thought is that he is only 8 and you moved. That is a huge trauma for a kid his age and I'm sure he will take time to adjust. I would think that alone could explain his change in behavior.

If you really think it's the water, buy a Zero water pitcher and filters. It really seems to purify water to the level of bought bottled stuff. I love it and can taste the difference.
#3 of 4 Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Is it that big of a deal to buy the gallons of water? I live in the desert and buy water every week.

#4 of 4 Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He is completely fine until he drinks the water. It's a direct correlation.

I will have to look into the Zero filter.

I don't want him drinking from plastic the rest of his life. We don't know enough about the long terms effects of that on a child.

Ah well. Back to the drawing board. Thanks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page