do babies require sugar? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashutoshshetty

#1 of 5 Old 04-29-2020, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do babies require sugar?

Babies are generally born liking the taste of sweet foods, so we get why parents enjoy giving them to their little ones. The problem is, the earlier you introduce added sugars, the more likely your baby or toddler is to prefer and choose sweet foods into childhood and throughout the rest of his life. Eating foods that are high in sugar throughout childhood can lead to preventable diseases, such as heart disease, obesity and high blood pressure. That’s why the American Heart Association made the recommendation to avoid added sugar before age 2. Many mommies think that no sugar for babies also means no sweet foods for babies and refrain from giving nutritious fruits for their little ones. By sugar, we always mean the “White Refined Sugar” not the natural sweetness of fruits and natural sweeteners.
Why is sugar harmful to Babies below 1 year?
1. Sugar is refined by lot of chemical processes which may be harmful to children.
2. Excess sugar may cause caries and tooth decay in children.
3. Excess of sugar may depress immunity.
4. Research has also shown that children fed with high sugar diet were prone to cardiovascular, diabetes and obesity.
Some of the natural sweetners for baby food are:
1. Any fruit can be added to baby food to make them naturally sweet
2. Dates Syrup (After 8 months)
3. Honey (After 1 year)
There are also companies like happa foods which manufacture 100 % organic fruits or vegetable puree , they don’t use any preservatives , nor any added colour or flavours, and not even salt or sugar.
thehappymother likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-01-2020, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
although sugar is an important element but for the babies we should not give babies any of the element which can cause harm to them in future, although sweetness should be there and it is better that babies should be habitual of natural sweetness of the fruits not the artificial sweetness as it can create diabetes problem in the future for them
#3 of 5 Old 06-14-2020, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So at what point would it be okay to let the babies have some sugar? I mean i know it's not good but sugar will be introduced into her life sooner or later and i wonder till what age do i have to be extra careful for my baby's sugar consumption?

#4 of 5 Old 06-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinep View Post
So at what point would it be okay to let the babies have some sugar? I mean i know it's not good but sugar will be introduced into her life sooner or later and i wonder till what age do i have to be extra careful for my baby's sugar consumption?
For us, it worked until they started public kindergarten. At that point, I no longer had full control over their diets and they became aware of a whole world of crap they had been shielded from!

FWIW, my kids are young adults now and one is about 80/20 in favor of making great choices while his younger brother is a little more 60/40. They both live at home and eat just about everything I make with gusto, they both love most veggies. They understand the importance of getting lots of healthy fats and minimizing empty calories. It's just when left to their own devices to do a bit of their own food shopping that they buy a bit of junk and I'm totally cool with that. They have healthy muscular bodies and do physical work and drink about a 1/2 gallon of water daily so it all balances out.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 5 Old 10-01-2020, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page