do babies require sugar?
Babies are generally born liking the taste of sweet foods, so we get why parents enjoy giving them to their little ones. The problem is, the earlier you introduce added sugars, the more likely your baby or toddler is to prefer and choose sweet foods into childhood and throughout the rest of his life. Eating foods that are high in sugar throughout childhood can lead to preventable diseases, such as heart disease, obesity and high blood pressure. That’s why the American Heart Association made the recommendation to avoid added sugar before age 2. Many mommies think that no sugar for babies also means no sweet foods for babies and refrain from giving nutritious fruits for their little ones. By sugar, we always mean the “White Refined Sugar” not the natural sweetness of fruits and natural sweeteners.
Why is sugar harmful to Babies below 1 year?
1. Sugar is refined by lot of chemical processes which may be harmful to children.
2. Excess sugar may cause caries and tooth decay in children.
3. Excess of sugar may depress immunity.
4. Research has also shown that children fed with high sugar diet were prone to cardiovascular, diabetes and obesity.
Some of the natural sweetners for baby food are:
1. Any fruit can be added to baby food to make them naturally sweet
2. Dates Syrup (After 8 months)
3. Honey (After 1 year)
There are also companies like happa foods which manufacture 100 % organic fruits or vegetable puree , they don’t use any preservatives , nor any added colour or flavours, and not even salt or sugar.