anatomy scan? I'm 24 weeks and haven't had one - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok first off, I have to tell myself I'm not a bad mom lol- i'm a new and confused mom.

So I am currently 24 weeks pregnant. I am seeing my midwife for the first time this saturday- when i will be 25 weeks pregnant.

I have not had an anatomy scan- the reason being, I just thought it was optional, stupid, I know, I did have a 3'd scan at a gender place at 16/17 weeks, where we went just to find out the gender, nothing medical.  My baby girl was happy as a clam, has 5 fingers on each hand, looking healthy.  I've been reading about the anatomy scan and false positives about baby abnormalities and such, and I wonder, what can they do if there is an abnormality? I'm not going to abort my baby.  I am planning on getting one now but is 25 weeks too late? I keep reading that it should be fine because some moms have to go back for a followup because they couldn't get all the information they needed at 20-22 weeks.  

Please be nice! 

What was your latest anatomy scan?

Did you have one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 01:27 PM

I don't think it's bad you haven't had one! I've always had mine 20 weeks or before, so no knowledge if too late, but I know a lot of mothers who never have an ultrasound. I think the benefits would be to put together a plan of what the baby will need if there is a problem.
#3 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't have any ultrasounds with my two oldest children. I always thought of it as a personal choice unless for some reason a doctor or midwife was insisting. I did have one with this baby though around 20 weeks. For me, I wanted to be prepared. If something was wrong I would want to know ahead of time. I will actually have another one at 32 weeks as well because I had marginal placental previa and they want to make sure the placenta is moving to where it should be.
Anyway, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. And I do not know about the timing & whether or not it's "too late." Your midwife may have a preference especially if you are birthing at home. If your baby will need extra care at birth she may like to know.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.

#4 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

We are planning a water birth at the hospital with a midwife- the hospital we chose is notorious for being really respectful and encouraging with midwives and doulas! I feel that is a rare quality but i'm blessed that they are so willing to let me birth my way! I'm partial to the anatomy scan, I can see it's amazing potiental for readiness and awareness and being prepared, however, I am a worrier, if I know something's wrong I will with out a doubt ruin my pregnancy with stress and anxiety- I like to deal with my problems when they happen, not deal with half the problem because I need to wait, X amount of weeks to deal with the other half of the problem! Thanks for no judgement!! <3

#5 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM

I didn't have an u/s with DS until I was 8 months or so (if I remember correctly.) He was born at home, with a midwife, and she asked me to get one towards the end of the pregnancy- just to make sure everything was ok. I think I'll probably get one this time around too- but not sure when. I know lots of moms who didn't do any u/s during their pregnancies- and I was actually leaning that way-- but I think it's good to be prepared if there are any abnormalities, especially with a home birth.

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#6 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

The reason why I opted for the 20 week scan was to make sure that we were still low risk since we are doing a more natural birthing at a birth center. I wanted to make sure that I was OK and would not have any major complications and the same thing with DS. If there was something major picked up on the scan he might need immediate surgery or need to go to a NICU. This could certainly affect my decisions of where I was planning to give birth and what interventions I may or may not be willing to go with. Plus it would give me time to research the condition and make sure I agreed with the conventional treatment. I wanted to make an informed decision and needed more information to do that.

I do understand the downsides, the increase risks of interventions for things that are not even needed as they are not 100% accurate, as well as additional worrying and stress which could pose more harm than good to the baby and yourself, and the potential risks US pose to the baby.

So I understand both sides. We all just do what we are more comfortable with :D

belly.gifwith our first due Early June! It's a Boy!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 3rdtri.gif  39 40

#7 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Everything activia said, for us.
Mine this pregnancy was 22 weeks. There's no harm in getting it later, I think it may be harder to get accurate measurements, but any major abnormalities would still be picked up.

Doula mama. Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 + Eli Lucas born unassisted ! 06/02/2014 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#8 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 AM

We typically only plan to do the 22ish week anatomy scan, and no other planned U/S. With both DS & DD, we ended up having a couple more right at the end to confirm positioning (they were both breech/transverse at 38 weeks).
With these babes, there are likely to be more -- though so far the first u/s tech's prediction (around 21wks) of needing them every other week has not been the case. We did have one more detailed (90+min!) to do all measurements etc again with a more experienced tech at a univerisity hospital to make sure everything was fine with both babes.

I know my Midwives prefer the anatomy scan to be between 20 & 22 weeks, but I'm not sure at which point it becomes less effective for the measurements and signs they are looking for at that stage.

I do expect we'll have at least 4 more between now and the end, but just quick ones to make sure both babes are growing as expected. I see my shared-care OB for the first time later this week, the M/W think once a month or so will be enough, hopefully the OB feels the same way.

~SynEpona~
#9 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM

i had my u/s at 24 weeks simply because the place i went to didn't have any open appointments until then. my midwives didn't seem concerned at all. the u/s tech was a little rude about it (like, "oh, this is your FIRST u/s!? you should have done at least one already."), but i asked my midwife about that and she said that u/s techs often push to do it sooner because it's easier on them to take the measurements and whatnot, but it isn't at all necessary to do it earlier. 

FTM, due mid-june! restaurant owner and operator just outside NYC. 
#10 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM

I had my one and only at 22weeks. They could do up to 3 max here in Canada depending. The first would be around 11-14 wks IF you are doing all the genetic testing. If not, you won't get that one. Pretty well everyone does the 20-ish week one but its not mandatory. If there are any concerns, they will send you back for a 3rd around 32 weeks. and that's it. Like other's have said, I know lots of people who skip them completely. I try to keep them to a minimum and I would definitely avoid any late u/s because their size predictions are notoriously wrong and many places will push for a c-section because the baby is big and often the baby is totally average! 

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#11 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM

I am not having an US done. I just feel that my baby is healthy and as the mother my intuition will tell me if something is wrong and I can get one done then. I also don't like the high possibility  of finding false abnormalities. and I am have a number of other reasons that I didn't want to have an US. I am having a home birth and my midwife is okay with my decision so that makes me feel supported.

#12 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's not stupid that you've not had an u/s.  It IS optional and it is not recommended that every pregnant woman have one.  It's only supposed to be used if complications are suspected, but that's now how it actually gets used.

Of my 7 pregnancies, I've only ever had 3 babies exposed to u/s.  My first, before I knew better, my 5th because I was spotting and we learned that the baby was no longer alive and I would miscarry, and my 6th because I was freaking out after 2 back to back miscarriages and had a viability scan at 9 weeks.  It lasted less than 3 minutes and was done and we never did anymore.  This pregnancy, I am almost 26 weeks and have zero intent to have an u/s.  I've not even heard the heartbeat with doppler!  This is the 2nd pregnancy that we've gone this long w/o hearing the heartbeat.  My 3rd pregnancy was pretty much an unassisted pregnancy as well and I first heard her heartbeat with a stethoscope at 27 weeks.  It was cool, but not really necessary.  I mean, at this point you feel the baby moving like crazy so you KNOW it's growing in there and alive.....so what exactly is the point of hearing the heartbeat?  A milestone in pregnancy or something?  Im not really sure.  :)  But anyway, nothing wrong with your decision in my book.  :)

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#13 of 16 Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM

@Earthylady

That is so awesome to hear. I have found very few women that would choose not to have an U/S. And I even had a few friends say that I was being irresponsible with not having one……. So I kinda stopped telling people. However I do find that a lot of women don't understand that an U/S is optional. My husband and I looked at it the same as having the genetic testing, or for that mater any of the pregnancy test recommended, of considering all pros and cons before making our decision. It is really nice to here of your calm confidence around your body and its ability to grow a healthy baby!

#14 of 16 Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM

I have only had one ultrasound, and that was just a quick peek at 11 weeks to make sure baby was viable.  I have had multiple losses and was so super stressed out when we went for genetic testing (due to family history and my age) that the counselor snuck us in for a super quick look to make sure baby had a heartbeat and looked normal so far.  No other U/S's planned beyond that.  We are having a homebirth, and I am a little worried about a few things, but I am trying to breathe and trust that all will be well. 

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#15 of 16 Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM

@Pumpkin_Pie 

I think that trusting your intuition and taking care of yourself is the best thing we can do. I feel like I will know that everything is alright with my baby until I don't feel it is all right. I think that not stressing is one of the best things we can do for our babies.

#16 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjeangee View Post
<p>Ok first off, I have to tell myself I'm not a bad mom lol- i'm a new and confused mom.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I am currently 24 weeks pregnant. I am seeing my midwife for the first time this saturday- when i will be 25 weeks pregnant.</p>
<p>I have not had an anatomy scan- the reason being, I just thought it was optional, stupid, I know, I did have a 3'd scan at a gender place at 16/17 weeks, where we went just to find out the gender, nothing medical.  My baby girl was happy as a clam, has 5 fingers on each hand, looking healthy.  I've been reading about the anatomy scan and false positives about baby abnormalities and such, and I wonder, what can they do if there is an abnormality? I'm not going to abort my baby.  I am planning on getting one now but is 25 weeks too late? I keep reading that it should be fine because some moms have to go back for a followup because they couldn't get all the information they needed at 20-22 weeks.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please be nice! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What was your latest anatomy scan?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did you have one?</p>
I'm an ultrasound tech specializing in perinatology (high risk). I'm new to the forum and thought I could provide some insight. I would highly recommend an anatomy scan in the first trimester (best time is 12 weeks), and later (18 - 20 weeks.). This recommendation is not because I have a vested interest in seeing more patients. First, the vast majority of babies are completely normal; we are happy to see that and send mom and baby on their way. However, there are many problems on the fetal side that ultrasound can detect; kidney, brain and heart problems among them. Can we see every problem? No. Are we suggesting you terminate a pregnancy because of a problem? Absolutely not. In the case of a cardiac defect, the patient is sent on to a pediatric cardiologist for consultation, and if confirmed, a plan is put into place. Rather than having this problem detected (and perhaps too late) after birth, there is a plan in place. Same thing with kidney problems, and even cleft lip. Have your anatomy scan. Knowledge is power.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page