Why don't they make maternity clothes like I see in Call the Midwife? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Come on, can I get some of those dresses? So cute! It drives me crazy that most of the maternity dresses are above the knee. I don't generally have attractive knees when NOT pregnant, and I am one that gains weight all over, so by 7 months....ugh. Anyone know where they have cute, modest maternity dresses or patterns?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have noticed it's not easy to find maternity clothes that I like anyway where I live (Arizona) a lot of it is old fashioned and kind of tent-looking.. 

I have found some nice "skinny" jeans with the belly band at Burlington and some nice maternity tops at Kohl's, all very modern and trendy. 

I also found some nice dresses at Target. 

Other than that I shop on European online shops like New Look. They do tend to have cuter clothes I have the impression... But I don't know if they deliver to US addresses, I had mine shipped to family in Europe.. 

ASOS is a great website too and you'll surely find some awesome clothes there. They have really nice dresses and stuff. 

Good luck. x

#3 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cute clothes can be hard to come by. And I hate to spend a ton when I am 10000000% sure I won't be pregnant again.

I am growing so quickly that what fits/looks good now might last me two months. These babies are on a growth spurt this week, for sure. Almost week 14.

Mama to DS1 2001 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and DS2 2006 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and boy/girl twins 9/2014 
.  Raising our family with my wife in the mountains 

#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Now I just had to look up that show and they are streaming episodes. It was a total tear jerker and I'm hooked. I loved the dresses with matching cardigans. It made me want to put curlers in my hair wink1.gif
#5 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I hate the fact that all maternity dresses seem to be at/above the knee, or floor length. Can we get a happy medium, please?? Of course, I tend to have the same issue with non-maternity dresses/skirts...

Monkey (31) + Pirate (29) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird
(8/12), our long-awaited first, one
(9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy
(10/6/14)

PCOS
#6 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I also am in love with what the women wear in Downton Abbey while pregnant.  The maternity clothes now don't seem nearly as polished or glamorous, unless you are the Duchess of Cambridge.  Her clothes were so pretty.

#7 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just wear leggings. and tunic tops
. try marshalls they have alot of stretchy fabrics

Ely -Mommy to many
#8 of 10 Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree, Biofarmer!

I have been using the belly band and trying to make due with the maternity clothes I have. I am also 1000% sure I won't be pregnant again, 1Blueridgemama so I hate to spend more $ on clothes.

That's a great idea though Hotmom about leggings and tunic tops. I need to check out Kohls and Marshall's.
#9 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a fan of knit maxi dresses. They're cute, COMFY, forgiving, show off the bump just the right amount, and work for every season, depending on how you layer with them. And they are great for the postpartum transition! But yes, I'd love a few like in Call the Midwife too. smile.gif
#10 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you end up sewing, try My Sloper Maternity with a free basic pattern based on pre-maternity sizing. Since you speak of modest, tent-style maternity is considered modest since it hides the bump fairly well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maternity styles 02.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	48210  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page