First timers, how are we all doing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 28Likes

#31 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Yep, I am at the miserable stage. I have had a miserable cough which combined with heartburn is just awful at night. No matter what or how little I eat, I throw up in my sleep at night so I keep waking up gagging on stomach acid. I am super uncomfortable even during the day. I went to the chiropractor but I think it just made everything ache even more..

All the whining aside, I want her to stay in a bit longer. I am super excited to meet this little person though and I feel like she just gets stronger every day.

Right now I am just trying to take my no energy and get my to do list done because honestly even with all the symptoms I am going crazy nesting and preparing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Happyday, I hope you're right because this sucks! DH usually gives me a back rub at night and it definitely helps but I still always wake up sore.
#33 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am 36.5 weeks right now. Sometimes I think the baby may have dropped because I can feel it bouncing against my cervix when I walk, but then other times I don't feel that same kind of cervix pressure. I've read that after the baby drops you should feel more pressure on your bladder; I feel like the pressure I'm feeling is different, like from a different angle, but if anything it's slightly less pressure, like I can go a little longer between pees now and like it's easier to empty my bladder. I'm still peeing all the time, though, like I literally get up every 1-2 hours overnight to pee, and then when I come back to bed it's several minutes of arranging my nest of pillows and the blankets/pajamas around my big, awkward body.

My hips and lower back has started hurting more, and I've been trying to quantify whether or not I'm feeling any Braxton Hicks contractions--at the end of the day, my uterus feels SORE, like a tense, overworked muscle, but it doesn't come and go in waves like I feel a contraction would, it's just a lingering soreness that lessens if I sit down and fades pretty completely after a warm bath.

I felt okay throughout the second and early third trimesters, but I'm definitely getting more uncomfortable now. My whole body aches, and some days all I can do is shuffle around the house and nap. I had about a week of "nesting" where I finally prepped all the diapers and cleaned and organized the baby's room, but now I'm back to tired again. I'm really hoping I'm close to done.

I've had the feeling throughout the pregnancy that the baby would come early. Kiddo's running out of time to be truly "early" but I'm wondering if I'll make it to 40 weeks. Today we're installing the carseat and co-sleeper, and then we'll be ready in terms of preparing stuff, and I guess I'm as ready as I'm going to be for labor and birth. I find that I'm kind of thinking about birth like I did the first trimester nausea. The nausea was awful, and while it was easy to feel sorry for myself, it also helped to know that to a certain degree the nausea was a good sign, because it meant that my body was producing enough hormones to sustain the pregnancy, and while there were little things I could do to alleviate it, like small bland meals and drinking bubbly water, mostly it was just a matter of getting through to the other side. And with labor, the pain is going to be potentially pretty intense, but pain also means that my body is getting ready for birth and that I finally get to meet my baby, and while there are some things I can do to mitigate the pain, like changing positions or soaking in the tub, mostly it is just a matter of getting through it. I know that I am strong and capable, and that the pain is temporary and manageable.

My mom keeps trying to tell me totally unhelpful horror stories about the pain of birth, and she's been bewildered and dismissive of the fact that I plan to not use any drugs, but luckily I have years of practice tuning out her anxiety and judgement, and I refuse to let myself be afraid. If anything, I am kind of feeling like a stubborn teenager about it--"Oh yeah? Well, I'll show her! Not only will I not use any pain meds, but after all is said and done and she asks how it went, I'm going to be able to shrug and say, 'Eh, it wasn't too bad.'"
forestlover75 likes this.

#34 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I'm still doing and feeling pretty well at almost 36.5 weeks. I'm definitely not feeling like I need this pregnancy to be over soon. Some days I have some soreness or feeling kind of slow-moving, but it's manageable. We think the baby dropped about 2 weeks ago, but I don't seem to be having any BH. Minor cramps down low sometimes, for sure more pressure, and occasionally aches in my belly or back, but nothing that I can distinguish as a contraction. My bladder is weird. I don't get up to pee in the middle of the night at all (it has happened like twice the whole pregnancy and months ago at that), and I don't necessarily think I'm going any more than usual, but sometimes I'll pee and then immediately feel like I have to go again. So maybe it's just not being able to empty my bladder fully.

If the baby really dropped, I'm preparing myself to have the baby a little early but not completely expecting it. We have all the things mostly prepped at home, so I don't think I'll be freaking out to get things done if he/she makes an early arrival. I've been doing Hypnobabies, but not being very diligent about practicing the finger-drop on my own, and it doesn't seem to do much when I do try it. I can for sure feel the relaxation when I'm listening to the tracks though, so I'm counting on being able to listen to it during labor to help manage the pain. Also now that we have a doula hired, I feel more confident about having additional support and tools to help with pain.

My husband and I filled out our birth plan tonight, plus went over something similar for the doula. He really wants to take an active role in the birth - not just helping to support me, but he wants to catch the baby as well. I wasn't sure how much he would want to see and actually be part of, but he was the one who asked if he could do it.
#35 of 95 Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
I went to the chiropractor but I think it just made everything ache even more..
I have been going to the chiropractor for the past few weeks (also did some acupuncture at 34 weeks) and was verrry achy that first week. I find I feel better when I am more active, but it's been a very icy winter so far, making walking difficult. As challenging as it can be sometimes, I like to keep in mind that all the aches and pains are my body softening, opening, preparing to welcome my baby as gently as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 of 95 Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

)So nice to check in with all of you!!! Sounds like we are all feeling the changes! One of the reasons I started up this thread again was reading some of the veteran moms reflecting on how their labors tend to be. While no two labors are the same, they have some frame of reference...But for us, we have no idea! Will we have sudden precipitous labors that go off with a water breaking bang, or slow to start early labors that go on for days? Will we be one of the rare few who go early with a first time baby, or match the statistical average for a first time baby (coming in at 41 weeks and 3 days - and remember that includes early ones!)

Though I have been present for many, many births, and have some sense of what it may be like, I am very aware that I don't know what it feels like. For example, I have these times where I feel so uncomfortable, and I have been blaming it on the baby's position, but then it dawned on me that when this happens, my belly is often rock hard sometimes for a pretty long while. I have decided these must be Braxton Hicks, and that the baby's elbows and knees just become more prominent and pokey. But I always imagined BH would come and go much more quickly and be more recognizable. So I am utterly aware of the grand journey I am on right now as I prepare to birth this little babe. And though I am doing a good deal of whining these days (and marveling that, at 37 weeks I could have 5 more weeks to go, as I have found that presuming baby will come early can backfire and make those last weeks all the more miserable), I continue to be struck by the depth of discovery each day holds and am so grateful for it.

Let's keep checking in and sending supportive vibes to each other!

(Oh, and BTW, @happyday8598 your ticker says 7 DAYS!!! Wow, you are really in the "any day now" range. Whoohoo!)

#37 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I somehow missed this thread the first time around--glad it was resurrected so I can join in now!

I'm about 36 weeks, and am unfortunately having that "over it" feeling. I am so ready to be done with being pregnant. But at the same time I don't feel ready yet to have the baby here! As I get closer and closer to my due date, I find myself getting more and more emotional. I wonder if that's a common thing?

Otherwise, I think we have our ducks in a row. The cosleeper is set up, I washed and put away all the baby clothes, and we have more "stuff" than this little one could ever need. We just need to make our final choice of pediatrician and install the car seat.

#38 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittygritty View Post
As I get closer and closer to my due date, I find myself getting more and more emotional. I wonder if that's a common thing?
I am getting super emotional at anything relating to birth. I read articles and cry, hear birth stories and cry. There was a thing going around facebook last week about that song "Closing Time" actually being about the singer's child's birth, and I was a crying mess. My husband keeps asking why I'm crying and I don't know what to say. He thinks he will be pretty emotional himself at the birth, but I get pretty teary now just thinking about it. I've been that way for quite a while during this pregnancy, but it does seem to ramping up as the actual event is getting SO CLOSE!

I wrote before that I didn't think I was having any BH contractions. Well, last night we had a doula prenatal appointment and we were talking about baby's position (posterior). As we were chatting I felt a big hard bulge up in the top of my belly and thought it was baby's butt. The doula asked to feel, then she said my whole belly felt pretty hard all over and said it might be BH. So maybe I am having them? There are times everything is hard, it's just not painful or anything I notice unless I'm touching my belly.
#39 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM

I also cried when I read that article about "Closing Time".

I can tell I'm having a BH contraction when everything gets tight and I can suddenly feel and see the baby's shape really well.
#40 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I also cried when I read that article about "Closing Time".

I can tell I'm having a BH contraction when everything gets tight and I can suddenly feel and see the baby's shape really well.
Oh man, if that's what a BH is then I have them all the time.. I thought it was just my baby poking out ha ha.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#41 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM

Haha that's what I thought too. Then it happened at an appointment while my midwife was measuring me and she was like "oh that was a big one!" I get them a lot too.
#42 of 95 Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am totally emotional about birth stuff too... really anything sentimental. And lately I have been feeling so mellow and spacey. I like these late pregnancy hormones, they make me very "que sera, que sera".

#43 of 95 Old 02-14-2015, 04:45 PM

A few of us are celebrating our last Valentine's Day without children, crazy! DH and I haven't ever been big on Valentine's Day and I'm sick but in honor of it being our last holiday as non-parents, we're gonna go see a movie, order Chinese, and take a bubble bath. Any of yall doing anything with your loves tonight?

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#44 of 95 Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

We went to winterfest in a nearby town today and took a nature walk on crazy snowy trails in 10 degree weather! The guide stopped every 2 minutes and I realized about half way that I just couldn't handle the slow pace. My feet got really cold and I kept needing help balancing, which was making us crack up, thus making me fear I would pee my pants! Finally I said, don't worry about me, and motored the 1/4 mile back to the center through 8" of snow (really snow shoe trail - not appropriate for a 9mo pregnant lady to be hiking on!) when I was almost there, I realized my husband was trying to catch up with me but couldn't. Lol! I assumed he'd finish the walk. He was surprised how fast I went. Then we went to a chili cook off, went shopping and cd home where I went on a (brief) cleaning frenzy. Anyway, feeling a bit more labory since all this action. Now we cuddling on the couch watching movies and top chef masters while it snows. It's nice. Hope if I'm in early labor (it's probably just practice stuff) I will have enough to time to do my belly cast!

#45 of 95 Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM

We didn't do anything special for Valentine's day. It was a pretty typical Saturday, except for the vase of flowers and a card waiting for me when I woke up. My husband had been sick this week (he tested positive for a form of strep throat) so we have been avoiding contact pretty much all week. Yesterday he had an awful headache, so it was a loungey day until I finally made myself get ready to go out and run some errands. I looked at Target for a card for him for a ridiculously long time but couldn't find anything suitable. So I just got him some chocolate and went home, and he was happy with that. I think we used to make a point of doing a special Valentine's day dinner. Last year we just went to one of our regular sushi places, and this year was chicken in the crockpot at home. We have gotten progressively lamer about holidays as the years go on. I actually think that having kid(s) will make the holidays more special.

@forestlover75 , any more feelings of labor?
#46 of 95 Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjs View Post
@forestlover75 , any more feelings of labor?
Not really. Had a good night's sleep. Definitely still had strong BH when I would get up to pee, but nothing particularly patterned in the morn. Had a few stronger ones this afternoon, and my belly is just hard as a rock. Don't think I've lost my plug though. I think this is pre-pre labor stuff... but who knows, right?

#47 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

@sarahjs and @bren94 - how are you two feeling? @alivewithyou beat us to the punch! Tomorrow's my due date, but I kind of doubt baby will come in the next couple of days since I haven't had any more pre-labor stuff happening and still haven't lost my plug (to my knowledge). Hoping my midwives will check me this week and let me know if my cervix has come forward or if I am ripe at all. In the meantime, just trying not to get too antsy. Wish I could take better walks, but the winter is here full force. I really hate the mall, but it may be my only choice...

Hope all's well with you two.

#48 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM

First timers, how are we all doing?

And @knittygritty !
I don't feel like anything is going on really. The baby feels much lower but I haven't lost my plug yet or anything. And I'm too sick to go on any walks or really be very active at all. Today I felt a little more crampy than usual and have been having some BH contractions but ever since the false alarm I feel like I have no idea what's going on! I'm doubting my body so much. So I'm kind of just trying to go with the flow. Which is easier said than done.
@sarahjs when is your due date? I know @knittygritty and I are at the end of the month.

June 18th, 2014

#49 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I can't wait to hear all of your birth stories. All births are special, but there's something even more special about the first one. Usually when you ask a woman what was the best day of her life, she will usually say the day her first child was born.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#50 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
@bren94 thanks for checking in! To be honest, I feel like my body has gotten further away from labor, not closer! I know I still have quite a while to wait. I'm trying not to be impatient, but I find myself in the doldrums quite often lately. We got a big snow storm today that has me housebound, so that doesn't help!

How are you passing the time while you wait?

#51 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM

I am about the same... not feeling any closer to labor. My due date is this Friday, the 20th. But no feelings of labor, no mucus, no spotting, don't even think I've had a real contraction, and the cramping I was feeling last week isn't around much either. Today I was just incredibly tired all afternoon and could have napped at any moment. I am still working, although I don't have a lot going on. Most people are surprised I keep coming to work every day, but I'd sit at home being incredibly bored otherwise. I also don't want to start using my FMLA time now to just sit around and wait when it could still be a couple more weeks until the baby is born.

My husband keeps saying he thinks labor is going to go so easily for me that I won't even realize it's happening until the baby is coming out. I have no idea where he gets these ridiculous ideas! It would be great if it happened that way but I'm sure it won't. The best I can hope for is to avoid the days/weeks of false labor that some of you are going through and just jump straight to the real thing.

The weather is frigid here (single digit highs the past couple days), so outside walking is definitely out for me. At home I just walk up and down the stairs and around in circles, and at work I do laps around the cubes. I think a lot of people assume I'm walking to start labor, but really I walk to keep my blood sugar in check after lunch.
#52 of 95 Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittygritty View Post
How are you passing the time while you wait?

Well I'm bad at that really. I've been watching sex and the city (I'm on season 5 already) and napping mostly. But I also daydream a lot, about the baby and the house we're renting in Dallas.

I think what worsens the impatience is people saying "oh boy he's coming any day now!" Man, that drives me really crazy. People really believe babies come right when they're due, I don't where they get this! I'm not even 39 weeks and I get harassed daily!
@sarahjs take comfort in knowing that a lot of moms never have signs of labor until they're in it

June 18th, 2014

#53 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 AM

@calico_aster are you still out there? How are you doing and when is your due date?
#54 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for remembering all the other first timers my preggo brain forgot!!

So, today's my (estimated) due date. Went to yoga last night (which has been cancelled for two weeks due to repeated snow storms) and it really helped me feel connected to the baby and to my body. We did deep breathing where you inhale/exhale really smoothly down around the baby and out. I was seeing my breath do eternity symbols around my heart and then baby, and it felt really deep inside, but also sort of cosmic, like I am calling my baby in from the Universe (sorry if this is too "out there" for anyone). But, I felt so connected to everything, and imagined this would be helpful for maintaining focus and strength in labor. During Shavasana (the rest at the end) I saw my cervix soft and thin and the baby moving through my pelvis smoothly, with ease. It was a really nice vision that just sort of arose on its own.

I was SO relaxed afterwards and in an awesome mood, came home, made dinner with my husband (during which we laughed a lot, which felt great), streamed Masterpiece Mystery (showing my age here - we watch lots of British TV) and went to bed at a decent hour. Last night I only got up to pee twice (whoohoo), with more than 3 hours between and feel SO rested today. Baby's position feels better aligned this morning and I have a lot of energy today. I am feeling encouraged by the fact that I just cleaned my whole kitchen and scrubbed the bathroom down (including baseboards and floor on hands and knees) and have the inspiration to do more cleaning. I have acupuncture at 11:30 and then I am heading to Costco. So, a full day for me!

My husband and I have felt really connected this week, which is awesome, since the past few weeks he has been a bit stressed trying to get everything at work done so he can take time off. Baby's arrival could not come at a harder time for him at work (his major role revolves around an annual March 1 deadline that involves an insane amount of coordination by the end of April - it is a fluid program, so it's crazy every year. Interesting predicament that this baby chose this season to be born)! But this week I feel a sense of him being way more focused on birth (reading Birth Partner, asking to watch birth videos, getting stuff around the house done vs. emails for work etc.). It is really nice to feel this sense of intimacy right now, and reassures me that we will be able to get through this month. Also, a couple of days ago his colleagues sent him home with 2 weeks of prepared meals for us to put in the freezer. Amazing meals too. We are completely set up now, and it takes a big load off of me (I have been putting off cooking, big time). I think the support of the people he works with is huge too.

@knittygritty , these days, I mostly spend my time on here and FB, puttering around the house straightening up (we are messy by nature, so it's a lot of upkeep to keep it together) - making the bed, doing laundry (we have a tiny machine, so it takes many loads to get it all done) and keeping up with dishes - streaming some shows that my husband refuses to watch (currently Project Runway All Stars is a fave), and taking my dog on a treacherous snowy walk in the afternoon. I definitely think if I had a more low key job (that didn't entail holding others' emotional needs, driving all over the place and going into homes with a lot of stressors etc.), it would make sense to keep working as a way of keeping my mind off the w a i t i n g. But I do realize I could do a better job of using my time to do yoga, meditate, and get myself in the spiritual space for birth. Last night really helped me see that... but it's all about balance - there's room for tacky TV and too much chocolate too!

#55 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
What a wonderful update, forestlover. I'm so happy things are feeling good for you right now--may that continue!

Wow, your husband's colleagues are AWESOME. More coworkers should do a "prepared meals" shower! What a great idea. I'm totally stealing that for future pregnant colleagues.

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.
#56 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

@TeeThatsMe , his colleagues asked him what we needed, and fearing yet another babies R us gift card (there is like nothing we need at babies R us, we've tried using the gift cards we have an can't come up with enough stuff to get!) so he said we didn't really need anything but maybe if they made some meals that would be nice. We didn't expect them to splurge like they did. They went in on some kind of package meal thing from a local grocery store I thinkā€¦ All made with fresh, local organic ingredients, packaged to be frozen with instructions for each meal. Incredible!

gabeyho likes this.

#57 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic! How smart that you went with asking for meals rather than racking your brains to come up with more Stuff that you don't really need. And how wonderful that they really went all-out on the gift. Geniuses all around.

#58 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Wow, the meals do sound great! That is an awesome gift and even better that it takes pressure off of you to get them made. I have been slacking on freezing homemade meals, but have been trying to stock up on easy things to make to keep in the pantry or freezer. I keep making stuff with the intention to freeze it, like chili, soup or lasagna, but then take the easy route of eating leftovers now instead of having to keep cooking for the week! I am actually looking forward to being able to to get takeout since I've had to avoid most of my favorite restaurants (mainly Asian and rice based) for the last few months due to GD.

Also that's great about keeping busy and enjoying this time with your husband, and all the visualization. I struggle with visualization - my brain just doesn't seem to work that way.

I met my new condo tenant this afternoon to give him the keys, so that is officially out of the way. That was my last major mental block that was worrying me about timing of the baby. Even though we had backup plans in place, I really didn't want him to have to come meet my husband at the hospital for a key hand off. I have been listening to the Hypnobabies "Come out baby" track, and although I keep saying I am ready, I know the condo situation has been a subconscious thing keeping me from really being ready. With that taken care of, I'm hoping my mind will truly be open now to birthing this baby anytime he or she is ready.
#59 of 95 Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

That's great, I wish I had the energy to make some freezer meals. I'm not even asking people to make me any because I know DH and I won't go through the effort of making them. We'll probably be ordering a lot of takeout!

And wow I just realized we still don't have a car seat I can't believe I've put that off for so long.

June 18th, 2014

#60 of 95 Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Ooh, girl, get the car seat! You don't want to be sending your husband out from the hospital to get and install that puppy.

Hey, on the bright side, if you are at all a comparison shopper, obsessing over brands and features will surely eat up at least a day of sitting around.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page