First timers, how are we all doing? - Mothering Forums
 28Likes

#1 of 95 Old 08-30-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
First timers, how are we all doing?

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for us first timers to connect about the newness of this experience. We often show later, may not feel our babies as soon, etc. as some of the other moms in the due date club. It has been so awesome to hear thier stories and learn from their wisdom, and I thought it could also be nice to have somewhere for us to offer support to one another and talk about the singularity of being pregnant for the first time right now.

So, how are we all doing?

How I'm doing:

My husband and I are super excited to be at 15 weeks after an early miscarriage this past March. So I am feeling like "wow, this is actually happening!" I am in disbelief (and immense relief) every time I get to hear the heartbeat. I am t-i-r-ed and am still dealing with nausea, but it has improved I think. One of the reasons I felt inspired to start this thread is because the pics of other mom's belly shots had me worrying that my belly was too small and questioning if everything was OK, even though I know first time pregnancies don't show as soon as 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ones do! I am also struggling a bit with the way my body is changing during this awkward stage of chubbiness that's not obvious I am pregnant. I gained 12 lbs already- seem to gain a bit too much in the first trimester. My midwife's not worried, though. I am figuring surrendering to all of this is the work of preparation to be a parent. So, yeah, there's some tidbits about what's going on for me as I navigate this motherhood path for the first time.

I hope to hear from some other first time moms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 95 Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
One of the reasons I felt inspired to start this thread is because the pics of other mom's belly shots had me worrying that my belly was too small and questioning if everything was OK, even though I know first time pregnancies don't show as soon as 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ones do!
Sorry, not a first timer, but this made me think of my first pregnancy when I started to "pop". I was 5'2" and less than 100 lbs. I was so skinny back then! (those days are long gone)! We got married when I was right at 3 months pregnant (baby was born 6 months exactly to the day after the wedding) and being young and all I had picked a dress that I couldn't wear a bra with without thinking of what would go underneath. I didn't have a mom or another woman in town to explain to me anything,except father's current girlfriend yelling at me right before the ceremony telling me that I can't get married without a bra. So she had me wear a bustier or whatever it was that belonged to a cousin who, if you can believe it, was even skinnier than me! So, although I wasn't showing, AT ALL, I was feeling a bit bloated and extremely tired. And that was definitely exacerbated by this stupid corset I had to wear. By the end of the wedding, I NEEDED to get out of it. I was ready to strip down and put on a different outfit, but when we got to the house where we were having the reception, every room, every bathroom, anywhere to change was being used. I just wanted to scream, "Get the F out of this room. I am pregnant, I am the bride, I need to get out of this damn thing!" So, I guess that was my bridezilla moment. Instead, I just waited and finally changed after someone else was done. And I don't think I really looked pregnant until after that.

So, the point of the story is this: It is possible to not even be showing at 3 months. Don't feel weird or like something's not right.
tracyamber and forestlover75 like this.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#3 of 95 Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Also not a first time mom but I was 16.5 weeks when I told people I was pregnant. In the few days before our visit no one noticed a thing except my 21 year old male cousin who noticed my boobs were gigantic! Don't be worried about not showing. hope you all enjoy sharing your experiences as first time moms.
forestlover75 likes this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.

#4 of 95 Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am 15 weeks today with my first pregnancy, and to be honest it's been rough. This is very much a wanted and planned baby, but I spent a lot of the first trimester pretty much incapacitated with nausea and exhaustion, and it's been hard to be excited or feel an emotional connection to the baby when I feel so sick. My husband and I have already decided that if we want any more children, we're adopting, because I cannot possibly go through this again, especially not a few years down the road when I'll have a small child to care for. Hearing the heartbeat and seeing the baby on the ultrasound was amazing, but feeling so physically awful it's been hard to hang on to that glowy feeling, and most of the time the baby is just an abstract concept.

But the nausea is finally abating, and while I'm still exhausted I'm at least semi-functional now. I've been "showing" for weeks, but just kind in that ambiguous, slightly plump way. But now it's getting to the point where it is more obviously baby, and now that I am safely out of the first trimester and all signs point to this being a normal and healthy pregnancy, we're going to start announcing the pregnancy this week. I'm kinda hoping other people's excitement will boost my own.

I've been having super vivid dreams throughout the pregnancy, nearly all of them good or neutral dreams, but I did have two nightmares recently, one where I was fighting with my mother (we have a complicated relationship in real life) and another where I was rescuing children from an abusive situation. In both cases I woke up with a start, just flooded with fierce love and devotion for my baby and feeling like I want to protect it forever. Apart from hearing the heartbeat and the ultrasound, it's been some of the few times the pregnancy has felt "real."

I am so anxious to feel the baby move. I keep trying to feel it, but I'm pretty sure I'm just feeling my own pulse or digestion.
#5 of 95 Old 08-31-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Great idea for a thread, forestlover. Like you, I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy over a year ago. I feel a lot differently this pregnancy though. My miscarriage was at 11 weeks, but I never felt or truly believed that I was pregnant. Actually from the moment I got my positive test, I somehow knew that it wasn't going to last. My husband was very excited, but I was quite shocked since we were not trying and didn't think it was a good time for me to be pregnant as I was trying to figure out some health issues. I had to keep reminding my husband that it could be a miscarriage and not to get excited yet. I was very hesitant to tell anyone and took my time making prenatal appointments. Time kept going and nothing happened so I started accepting the pregnancy, although it still didn't feel right saying it out loud. By the time I miscarried, we were both becoming excited and were devastated by the news. As tough as that experience was, I feel that it happened for a reason and gained several positives from it.

I'm 15 weeks now and have had a very different experience from the first time. I haven't once had the negative feeling. It's more so that I'm aware something bad could happen, rather than being certain of it. I haven't had any hesitation about telling people. I've had more symptoms this time (only had sore boobs the first time), but overall have been feeling ok compared to what I've read from a lot of others. I had a bit of nausea earlier on with random gagging, but not much vomiting, and that has all mostly passed now. I do still feel tired frequently, despite getting a lot more sleep than I regularly do.

As for showing, I already had a bit of a belly before getting pregnant. Now it's like the baby is growing and pushing that belly up and out and there's not much I can do to hide it. Sometimes I feel like I look obviously pregnant, and other times just chubby. We have been telling people since fairly early on, kind of sporadically as it comes up in conversation. My husband has been awful about telling most of his friends though. I asked him to let them know prior to attending weddings the last two weekends, especially since the dress I was planning to wear made my belly look very much like a baby bump. However, he did not tell anyone the news, so I'm guessing a lot of people are wondering now - especially after I was the only one not toasting with champagne!

We haven't done much to prep for baby yet. I have looked around and bookmarked several items, but only purchased one little outfit. The baby's room is filled with furniture that we have to figure out where to put it or sell/give it away. I know we have almost 6 more months, but I'm worried that we'll keep procrastinating, and then all of a sudden baby will be here in a month and we'll not have much done!
#6 of 95 Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
@sarahjs : I can totally relate to your feelings about this pregnancy vs. your first. My first was a chemical pregnancy and I didn't once get excited about it after I noticed my tests were not darkening. Every one told me I was just worrying but I knew that it wasn't going to last. I have also felt a sense of calm and happiness with this pregnancy. I still worry about the baby here and there but I don't have a sense of dread or feel like something is truly wrong.

I am absolutely sick of people telling me I don't look pregnant. I know that should be a compliment but I want a baby bump dang it. I was starting to get one.. but it went back down so I am pretty sure that was just bloat. I can't wait to finally pop. I know it will happen just feels like it's taking forever.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 95 Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for chiming in! So nice to connect with some fellow first-timers!

@calico_aster , I am sorry to hear how sick you are. I am 16 weeks now and have bouts of it - INCREASED at 13 weeks, was sick as a dog at 14 weeks, 15 weeks was fine and then threw up my breakfast and went on to feel like I'd been hit by a bus all day yesterday. I have wondered how women who are sick all the time cope -especially when they have kids already! I hope yours continues to abate and you have a some peace in the next weeks. I agree that it is hard to stay connected to the magic of pregnancy when I feel like crap. In so many ways the baby is abstract until we start growing and feeling it regularly. It all feels very unreal, and I think as someone who has experienced loss it took me a while to believe it was really happening. Your dreams sound like you are ferociously connected though. My dreams are not particularly pregnancy related. There does seem to be a water theme (most recently sharks in the water - yikes), and occasionally something will happen and I will proclaim, "but I'm pregnant" or something like that. But no babies, mothering or birth themes.

@sarahjs , I have felt much more assured this time as well. The first miscarriage I had (back in 2010) was totally an unplanned pregnancy right after my husband and I met. We were long distance, I was selling a house and moving to be with him, and I had some family stress too. I remember starting to journal for the baby and getting a paper cut that stained the journal and I thought "I bet I'm going to miscarry". 4 weeks later I did. This last time I was so anxious. Every time I wiped it was like I was waiting for the blood. And then it came. This time, I just feel confident. I too have my moments of worry (normal I think, especially after loss), but the general vibe is good. It is such a nice feeling! My belly is also poochy without a pregnancy, so I feel ya. I guess you could say I am showing, but it's all flab and bloat, no baby yet! Like you I am doing preliminary planning, but don't plan on getting anything for a while. I think my in-laws will have a baby shower for us when we go visit them for Thanksgiving, so I need to get some things prepped for that... other than that, planning to be minimalist parents for the most part.

@alivewithyou , I totally can't wait to pop either. It's hard to be going through all this in such an invisible way! Here's to popping soon!

#8 of 95 Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
This is my first pregnancy and I'm now 14 and a half weeks. I haven't had a rough go of it so far. No puking or any extreme symptoms. I'm showing but haven't had any weight gain. I think because it's my first pregnancy I worry all the time. I think about all the things that could possibly go wrong with the pregnancy and birth. But otherwise things have been smooth. I'm so excited to have this baby!
#9 of 95 Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Our intuition is incredible, isn't it? I'm glad that we are feeling more confident and positive this time around. It really is a great feeling!

I'm sorry some of you are still feeling sick.

Is anyone in maternity clothes yet? Most of my regular clothes still fit - thanks to finding a few pairs of work pants one size bigger than I've worn for a while - but they are starting to get snug, and the tops are just making me look fat. I decided to go maternity clothes shopping yesterday, mainly looking for pants. But I tried on a couple of the side-ruched shirts and I love them! They give my belly some definition and make it look like a baby bump instead of just looking fat. I don't care that most of that belly is just my belly fat, it looks like a pregnant belly! So now I think I will start rocking the baby bump look instead of just trying to make my regular clothes work. It's actually quite liberating! Maybe something to try (if you haven't yet) if you feel like you're showing but not "popped" yet.
#10 of 95 Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjs View Post
I'm sorry some of you are still feeling sick.

Is anyone in maternity clothes yet?
I will admit, I am kind of sick of being sick! It's not an every day thing, so I can be grateful for that, but when it hits it hits hard.

I have been in maternity pants for weeks. Admittedly I am thick waisted to start, so I feel like "wow, I should've started wearing these years ago". I actually like the ones with the panel that goes over the belly best. It feels securing or something, and gives the bump some definition. I haven't picked up any shirts yet because I know fall is coming and I don't want to waste money on summer wear. Plus, I tend to wear shirts to hide my chub, so the bump is settling into those quite well.

Yesterday I had an exciting experience: I am a social worker currently working on an amazing project providing evidence-based in-home therapy for maternal depression, so all of my clients are either pregnant or have little ones (newborn -toddler age). Yesterday I was doing an intake for a young woman who is 12 weeks pregnant. While chatting about her symptoms, I mentioned I am pregnant too and she said she could tell! That made my day (and helped make up for the fact that I am 23. Yes. 23 years older than her!). I think it will be fun to connect with my clients pregnant, though sometimes hauling me and all my stuff up 5 sets of stairs to be no-showed makes me want to scream!

#11 of 95 Old 09-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently have one pair of zip-up pants (two sizes bigger than what I normally wear) that still fit, and two pair of maternity pants that I've been living in. I normally wear men's boxers as underwear, but now that I'm rounding out they don't fit right anymore, so I've been wearing some women's briefs I had shoved in a drawer, but they're too small too. Sigh. I'm probably going to need to go shopping this weekend. forestlover75, I laughed when I read how much you're loving the maternity pants, because I'm feeling the same way. I've got one pair of maternity khakis that I will totally be wearing long after the baby's born because they are so comfy.

One weird clothes related item: since I've been pregnant, I've been really uncomfortable wearing shirts that touch my neck, which stinks because easily 75% of my tops are crew neck t-shirts. During the first trimester for a while I was really sensitive to touch, to the point where I couldn't be hugged for more than a second without feeling twitchy and clausterphobic (and I normally love snuggling!). That's gone away, but the Shirts Can't Touch My Neck thing remains. So weird.

I do feel like I'm turning the corner on sickness, now. Still feel a little queasy if I'm very tired or my stomach is empty, but that is manageable, although I do still gag a little when I brush my teeth. Energy and strength is still super low, but improving, and I've gotten to the point where I can go for a tiny little walk maybe a mile long with tons of breaks and a nap after, and then not totally crash the next day from that "exertion." Progress!
#12 of 95 Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico_aster View Post
I do feel like I'm turning the corner on sickness, now. Still feel a little queasy if I'm very tired or my stomach is empty, but that is manageable, although I do still gag a little when I brush my teeth. Energy and strength is still super low, but improving, and I've gotten to the point where I can go for a tiny little walk maybe a mile long with tons of breaks and a nap after, and then not totally crash the next day from that "exertion." Progress!
So glad to hear you are feeling better! Yay! I also get queasy when I need to eat, but so far (knock on wood) this week has been free of puking. Now I just randomly gag and can usually avoid throwing up by coughing it away. SO weird! I have also found that taking a short walk is helpful for easing nausea when I have it. Maybe because of the fresh air? Definitely doesn't sounds like I have been as knocked down as you, but I have been feeling like I am walking through fog for months and my paperwork has severely suffered at work due to the fact that I am especially unable to concentrate on anything cerebral between 1:30 and 5:30 PM. But, for the first time in 2 months, yesterday I was able to sift through some MUCH needed files and put things in order. So, I am praying this is the beginning of increased capacity to function!

#13 of 95 Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
I actually like the ones with the panel that goes over the belly best. It feels securing or something, and gives the bump some definition. I haven't picked up any shirts yet because I know fall is coming and I don't want to waste money on summer wear.
Yes, the full belly panel is great. I picked up a pair of capris with the full panel on clearance on Monday, and had some concern about it turning cooler soon and not being able to wear them. But at only $13 (before discounts and coupons at Kohl's), I rationed that I could wear them another 2 months almost this year, and then again in the spring after baby is born. I went back to Kohl's today and found the same capris in khaki color. As for short sleeved shirts, I'm justifying buying them now since I can also wear them in the winter layered with a sweater or cardigan. I went on quite a maternity clothes shopping spree today and STILL can't find any jeans or nice pants to wear to work.
#14 of 95 Old 09-09-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I went on quite a maternity clothes shopping spree today and STILL can't find any jeans or nice pants to wear to work.
Because I am still not sure what clothes are going to work best for my body, I have been sticking to second hand stores for this phase of maternity shopping. There are a handful of shops in my area that sell consignment baby stuff and have a maternity rack. Perusing their stuff I found several pairs of pants for work, as well as a couple of nice pairs of jeans (Gap and Motherhood). Everything I have purchased has been in the $6-10 range and is in excellent condition because they get worn for such a short period of time. So I highly recommend the second hand approach. The only splurge I have made so far is for new bras. I have grown from a 34G to a 36I or 38H already!!! I went for the 38H figuring the extra growing room in the band will come in handy. I think the new bra will get me through the next couple of months, but anticipate having to get even bigger bras for nursing. Yikes!

#15 of 95 Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 PM

I haven't made it to the couple fairly close consignment shops yet, since they have shorter hours that haven't matched with my available shopping time yet. I'm not holding out much hope to find pants there that will work for me though. I have trouble finding regular pants that fit me well, so now my selection is even more limited with maternity pants. Realizing that my days are soon over with my regular work pants, I restarted my search at stores... now with less selective criteria and basically trying on every single style they have. My two biggest issues are no pockets (WHY are there no pockets in maternity pants??) and almost all of them being 3+ inches too long. I am 5'6", so a pretty average height, yet these pants are all SO long. I decided I can get pants hemmed, so now just focusing on pants that fit properly and have pockets. Saturday I bought a pair of jeans and a pair of work pants, both of which are not perfect (no pockets in the work pants, grr), but I'm close to being desperate. They will stay in the bag with tags on until I absolutely have no choice but to wear them, or I find something better.

How is everyone sleeping? I have nights where I can't get comfortable and toss and turn a lot, but am doing better with sleeping on my side. Normally I sleep on my stomach, but that's getting more and more uncomfortable, although sometimes I wake up and find myself sleeping that way. I've started researching the big body pillows, but haven't decided on one since they have pretty mixed reviews.
#16 of 95 Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
My two biggest issues are no pockets (WHY are there no pockets in maternity pants??) and almost all of them being 3+ inches too long. I am 5'6", so a pretty average height, yet these pants are all SO long.
Sorry, thread crashing again. You are taller than I am, (I'm 5'3"), but I also have this issue with a lot of pants. Usually, lately, I can buy jeans that are too long and they shrink enough in the wash that they fit okay. I realized this when I was buying petite pants or short pants (regular, not maternity) that would end up too short after I had them for a while. I usually buy Levis because they're not too cheap and not too expensive.

But with maternity jeans, no way. I have found that the Petite jeans at Motherhood Maternity stores fit great and keep fitting even after washing (maybe a tiny bit too short, but better than inches too long). The inseam is 29". You might try eBay, I've had luck finding the right inseam there, too. Gap Maternity pants were also good, because they are just a tiny bit too long, not way too long, so that might be an even better option if your inseam is 30" or 30.5". Inseam is the measurement from your *ahem* crotch *ahem* to where it ends at your foot. And a good pair of pants should hit the front of your foot just barely, so I usually measure about an inch above the floor on the side of the foot.
sarahjs likes this.

#17 of 95 Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My two biggest issues are no pockets (WHY are there no pockets in maternity pants??) and almost all of them being 3+ inches too long. I am 5'6", so a pretty average height, yet these pants are all SO long.

How is everyone sleeping? .
Seriously, find time to go consignment. I have like 7 pairs of pants now (my husband claims I have more clothes pregnant than I did before, and I think he may be right) and they all have pockets and seem a normal length.... I am 5'7.

Sleep is a bit restless but not too bad. My dreams are crazy nonstop and nonsensical - they leave me feeling less than rested in the morning. I am a side sleeper normally, but find I am on my back when I wake up (never knew I slept on my back). I know as baby grows, that is not ideal and can't tell if that's what's waking me up, or if I need to pee (which is always an option). Also, my arms fall asleep a lot. I hate that.

#18 of 95 Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM

My plan was to check out the consignment shops last Saturday, but other stuff came up and I didn't get back to this side of town until after they were closed, and they are closed on Sunday. My goal is to make it there this weekend.

Ugh, I tried a bunch of pants at Motherhood Maternity and none of them fit me. Forget about the length and the pockets, they just plain didn't fit right. I will probably end up there again to try some other styles, but so far I'm unimpressed. I do currently have one pair of work pants from the Gap, but I think they are short length, and just a tiny bit TOO short. That is always my problem... medium length is too long, and short is too short. The Gap near me doesn't have maternity in stores, and buying any pants online without trying them on for fit and style seems like a disaster. I'll figure out something eventually. I think I can probably get away with just 2 pairs of pants for work, and 1 pair of jeans, plus the couple pairs of casual pants I have for the weekend or evenings, and the occasional dress.

The thing that sucks right now is that I have all these tops that make me have a cute baby bump, but I can't really wear them to work with my regular work pants since those just look tight and cut my belly off in the middle, going back to making me look fat.

Can we talk about showers? forestlover, you mentioned having a shower in November, right? Do any other first timers have a shower planned? My MIL wants to throw me a shower, and a friend offered to do one also. It seems like timing will get tricky with all of the holidays. I think my options would be either early November (which seems really early for a Feb. 20 due date) or early to mid January. But then I am worried about weather and people travelling (if I do only one shower, people would be invited from 4 hours away), especially if the winter is as nasty as we had last year in Michigan.
#19 of 95 Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Felt the baby move for the first time yesterday! Now I'm addicted to stirring him up and trying to get him to be active. Usually drinking some juice does the trick and he moves all around. It's so amazing and makes things so real for me. He's already my best friend.
Valerie11 likes this.
#20 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Ugh, I tried a bunch of pants at Motherhood Maternity and none of them fit me. Forget about the length and the pockets, they just plain didn't fit right. I will probably end up there again to try some other styles, but so far I'm unimpressed. I do currently have one pair of work pants from the Gap, but I think they are short length, and just a tiny bit TOO short. That is always my problem... medium length is too long, and short is too short. The Gap near me doesn't have maternity in stores, and buying any pants online without trying them on for fit and style seems like a disaster.
Sorry to hear. I haven't tried any on lately in their stores (Motherhood), but the ones I bought in 2010 fit good. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a pair online and anyway the new pairs in stores can be as much as $40-50 a pair. That's a big difference. Really, figure out your inseam and then find the cheapest pair online with that inseam. Then it won't feel like such a waste if they don't fit quite right. Usually Gap jeans look great in the butt, but their inseams are all over the map.

#21 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Felt the baby move for the first time yesterday! Now I'm addicted to stirring him up and trying to get him to be active. Usually drinking some juice does the trick and he moves all around. It's so amazing and makes things so real for me. He's already my best friend.
Yay! That's great and I'm totally jealous! Still no movement here at almost 18 weeks. I've been drinking orange juice almost every day for the last two weeks also, and nothing.
#22 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 AM

@Sarahjs Not sure if this will be helpful, especially since it sounds like you're really "trying" to feel movement but I just laid in bed very still and quiet (with a full bladder, not sure if that matters) and poked around to stir him up a little. He sleeps a lot so I usually have to provoke him a little at first. Once I felt those first couple of movements, they became easy to distinguish from gas and spasms. Now I feel him maybe once or twice during the day without provocation when he stretches. The rest of the time I have to mess with him until he gets annoyed and rolls over haha.
#23 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Oh and P.S. Is anyone else extremely emotional in their second trimester? I thought I was a loose cannon a couple months ago but holy cow, EVERYTHING makes me cry right now. I visited family this past weekend and cried my eyes out every time someone hugged me.
#24 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 PM

I'm not really trying to feel movement, but drinking juice every day is out of the ordinary for me and doesn't seem to be a trigger for anything. I have been attempting to just sit still and be more aware a couple times during the day, in case maybe something is going on and I just don't notice while busy.

No crazy emotions for me. I do get emotional thinking about the general idea of a baby and giving birth and imagining the special time that will be between my husband and me, and I was emotional last week about my medical stuff. I feel like, in general, I'm not really getting all the typical pregnant woman stuff like crazy cravings or emotions or feeling sick or peeing all the time. My husband asked me the other day why I haven't demanded that he go out and buy me some type of food that I'm craving.
#25 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
So jealous of feeling the baby move! Lol, I think I am here and there but it is such light flutters that it just feels like a tease. I am pretty sure it's the baby though. It doesn't ever happen when I want it too.. just randomly at work when i'm sitting down or when I am walking around I will feel it all of the sudden. If I actually try to poke her or talk to her it doesn't work.

I actually feel slightly less emotional now than I did before.. but I'm probably shorter on temper than I am used to being. I've been dealing with some pretty bad migraines all week so I have just felt out of it and dizzy since it's been messing slightly with my vision. To top it off I've been stuck at a computer all day so I've just been miserable and ornery.

Still no weight gain.. starting to get frustrated cause I am making an effort to eat. Starting to wonder if the metformin is preventing me from gaining.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#26 of 95 Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can we talk about showers? forestlover, you mentioned having a shower in November, right?
I am hoping to have one, but it will have to be the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so I don't image a huge turn out. Mostly just my husband's family, I imagine. Our community is scattered and all my closest friends live in different places and won't have the money to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Felt the baby move for the first time yesterday!
Jealous. I think I've felt it, but nothing I can be sure of. I have a feeling our baby is really mellow (thank goodness, like my husband). But I do look forward to obvious, discernible movement! Be careful of riling up your baby and disrupting his sleep - that may come back to bite you when he's out

Quote:
I do get emotional thinking about the general idea of a baby and giving birth and imagining the special time that will be between my husband and me...I'm not really getting all the typical pregnant woman stuff like crazy cravings or emotions or feeling sick or peeing all the time. My husband asked me the other day why I haven't demanded that he go out and buy me some type of food that I'm craving.
I did have some random blubbering in the first trimester, but now mostly I have waves of deep, contemplative emotion about motherhood and family. I also don't have intense cravings anymore. At 10 weeks I had major Indian food cravings, and the only thing that got be through weeks 12-14 were everything bagels toasted with cream cheese and tomato. Since then, only mild random fleeting cravings (like yesterday I wanted those junky wafer cream cookie things) that I can usually resist.

#27 of 95 Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM

I finally found pants! Out of the 3 consignment shops I went to, only one had anything decent for maternity clothes. I found 2 pairs of jeans (one was almost identical to the pair I bought at Kohl's last weekend - $6.50 vs. $32) and one pair of work pants, pockets included. I went back to Motherhood Maternity today and found another pair of work pants with pockets. It was literally the only style in the store with pockets. They are a bit long, but I'll have to deal with that. Also got a pair of leggings from Old Navy to wear with dresses now that the weather is turning cooler. I'm feeling pretty set on clothes for a while now.
forestlover75 and Valerie11 like this.
#28 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I would reinvigorate this thread since we are all getting close to birth! How are we all doing first time mamas?

I felt great in my 2nd trimester and for the beginning of my 3rd, but last week started feeling more discomfort at night and at the end of the day. I marvel that my belly can be so big and is going to get BIGGER! I don't have any symptoms of prelabor, or a sense I am ripening, or effacing, but baby is solidly head down (yay) and I certainly am having new sensations. Lack of sleep most nights make me eager for my last day of work next Friday (yay again), and I am just looking forward to spending some time in my body, connecting with baby and nesting. I assume I will make it close or beyond my due date, but have sudden moments of panic that it actually could come early! Last week we had our home visit with the midwives, and received all our birth supplies, so things are beginning to get "real". I am feeling very excited about labor and about meeting our sweet one...

How are all you other first time mamas doing??

#29 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 AM

I am VERY ready. I wish he'd come right now. My belly has gotten super big and heavy and I wake up every morning really sore. I just really want to have a baby in my arms already!

I haven't had any obvious signs of prelabor but I'm only 35 weeks. I had some painful contractions the other day while grocery shopping but they faded quickly. And I think it's possible I've been losing pieces of my mucus plug but I'm not positive that's what it is. I'm a little nervous to give birth but mostly just excited and ready. I really don't think I'll go past 41 weeks anyway but if I do then I'll probably start discussing natural induction with my midwife at that point just because I'm measuring ahead as it is and I don't think my body can bear 6 more weeks of this. So I just keep telling myself 5 more weeks tops! I can totally do this!
forestlover75 likes this.
#30 of 95 Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Not a first timer, but if it's any consolation, Bren... I was so uncomfortable for a few weeks in there around the 30-35 week mark. Then one day I woke up and got this sense that my body had finally adjusted to the changes, and while I still want this baby in my arms sooner than later, it's less from discomfort (except for the heartburn issue) and more of a desire to move forward to the next phase of this wee little one. My discomfort is mostly gone, except for a few waking moments in the morning when I transition from laying to walking. Not to say that this will be true for everybody, but MAYBE it's true for you?
Something that might help the discomfort a bit is my husband massaging my bum, lower back and upper thighs morning and night. Perhaps your man would love to give you rub downs to ease the discomfort, too?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page