• 1 Post By luckiest
  • 1 Post By TeeThatsMe
  • 2 Post By TeeThatsMe

#1 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
A goofy body shape question

Okay, you experienced mamas, this one is for you.

In my previous two pregnancies, I always felt kind of mystified at the notion of maternity underwear, because... well, why? I never really changed shape much around my bottom, so I just didn't understand why you'd need 'em.

Well, now my regular undies are killing me. They're driving me up the wall every day! Most any skirt or dress, and even many pairs of pants, look ridiculous because every single pair of underpants I own is pinching me and making awful bulges all over. Shoot, more than once I've gotten fed up and hustled my purse into the ladies' room so I could stuff my underwear in there and go commando for the rest of the day! Ay yi yi!

So, my question: Do I start with just going a size up in regular underwear, or should I give up and go straight to maternity unmentionables?

What a silly thing to be taking up my time, but man, it bugs me every single day.
tracyamber likes this.

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I would do one size up... but, I have never needed maternity underwear and HATE over the belly things. Too itchy.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#3 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I always go with the bikini briefs? I think. The ones where they are low, but have enough coverage on the sides to stay up. And I agree, it's difficult to wear underwear or anything when you have a bulging belly.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!

#4 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Ditch the undies, girl!
I've only worn undies during my period for the past 5 years or so. It's been so lovely to not have to rummage to find a pair in nearly 5 months! The hubby likes it, too... Bonus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I got some under-the-belly maternity undies late in my last pregnancy, and I was like why didn't I do this months ago? They were soooo comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeeThatsMe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#6 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Cool--this gives me a lot to get started with. I think maybe I will try one pack of a size bigger, one set of "treat" maternity under-the-belly undies, and... Commit to swinging free in the breeze a little more often. @luckiest , any recommendations on brands? I want some "why didn't I do this months ago?" underwear!

Oh, and... they make over-the-belly UNDERWEAR?! Oh nooooooo. No no no no no. Those are definitely not for me! I guess if you are accustomed to briefs with lots of coverage, you might be into a nice belly panel, but that is definitely not me--I've always been a bikini girl and don't even like full-panel pants very much (until they become absolutely necessary).
happyday8598 likes this.

#7 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I didn't want different undies with my last two, but last month I bought some lacy little things that are no-show and I went up a size. I'm glad I did. I can't deal with my panties being tight and giving me lines BEFORE I put on pants.
#8 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
There is no such thing as "under the belly" on me. My babies sit LOW. I think I did get maternity undies one pregnancy and loved them. I usually just get a couple sizes up from my regular Hanes Her Way Hi-Cut Briefs. I can't stand things being super low on my belly. Bikini undies would not work well for me.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
in February '15
#9 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Gosh, I can't remember where I got them...I was living in Sam Francisco at the time, and you'd think in a big city like that you'd have lots of options, but I swear there was NOTHING in the way of maternity/baby shops. Probably because everyone moves to the east\north bay to have kids. Anyhow, I want to say I grabbed them from a Babies R Us, maybe Target...they were nothing special, and super tacky (think: sparkly "Love" across the butt). But oh so comfortable.

#10 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

San Francisco's so weird like that, isn't it? We lived in Berkeley when my oldest was born; I went across the bay for work a whole lot, and I remember ONE maternity shop in SF proper. Uno. Strange! But you're right--there was a lot more in the East Bay. What years were you there? We were in Berkeley from '07 to '10 and I miss it so dreadfully much.

I'll look for some Target tackies with sparkly "Love" across the butt, thanks!
luckiest and jodieanneanton like this.

#11 of 16 Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 PM

We were there '08-'11, and now we're back in Austin. We knew we wouldn't be able to afford living there without me working, so we moved back the first chance we got, when DS was 10 weeks old. We really miss it too. I miss walking everywhere, not needing a car, living in such a beautiful place, a view everywhere you turn. We lived in Cole Valley. I do not miss the cost of living, and wouldn't trade having our families near now for anything, but I do get pangs now and then.

#12 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I feel the same--a cool place to live doesn't hold a candle to having family nearby! And... Most of our family is in the Bay Area. Sigh.

But right now we're pretty much in the same boat; living in DC, despite the fact that the cost of living is just about equally sky high, means that my husband can stay home. So it's pretty much no contest--we're here until one of us can find an awesome gig out there.

#13 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I was given some over the belly maternity underwear with my first pregnancy. They itched like crazy and I hated them. I am tending to not wear underwear more than anything else this time.
#14 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Not an experienced mama, but I recommend Hanes hipsters or boy shorts - smooth edge or comfort soft one size larger than you would normally wear. They sit low, and are super comfy. Anything that isn't comfort elastic is a no-go for me right now and I just can't deal with panty-line.

#15 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Are hipsters the ones that sort of look like shorts? I can't do those, too many wedgies.

The last time I bought underwear, I bought from Sam's Club, and they have these flattened things across the butt to not ride up and not show a line through your pants. I've been happy with them, but went to buy more and of course they don't have it in stock anymore, now it's a different brand. Such is the way with warehouse stores.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#16 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I go up a size and under the belly. No bikini's or hipsters... can't deal with wedgies. I have a wide booty anyway....

In fact, it's getting to be time to go buy some bigger undies. *sigh* I don't like this part of pregnancy.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page