Carriers, Slings, Wraps- Oh My! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 8Likes

#31 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
There were deaths in the bag slings, I think. Again, it was that cradle position where the chin ends up on their chest and they suffocate. If you wear them upright, tummy to tummy, and nice and high (kiss their forehead), it's very safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Yeah, the only deaths I know of were in the Infantino "slings," which were more like duffle bags that you put a baby in. The baby hung around the wearer's waist or hips, not high up on their chest. As others have said, upright, close enough to kiss, etc. make for safe babywearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#33 of 36 Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Yeah, the only deaths I know of were in the Infantino "slings," which were more like duffle bags that you put a baby in. The baby hung around the wearer's waist or hips, not high up on their chest. As others have said, upright, close enough to kiss, etc. make for safe babywearing.

Yes, the pouch ones are the ones that I was talking about.

#34 of 36 Old 01-15-2015, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I know what pouches you are talking about and I do remember the recalls now that you mention it.

I'm glad you all mentioned proper position of baby in slings because I didn't really know that. With the K'Tan, I was trying to do the cradle hold and was so paranoid about the baby smothering in there. I guess I had good reason to worry! I'm glad I stopped trying it since they definitely aren't in a good position when you put them like that. I will stick to the tummy to tummy, head to chin thing (kangaroo hold?).

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#35 of 36 Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
After being involved in some discussions about narrow based carriers with my local babywearing group, I've actually softened on the issue. I *really* don't like narrow based carriers, I always cringe when I see them, but the truth is that even though they aren't good for alignment and are not typically comfortable for either baby or wearer, they also probably aren't going to cause any issues (besides a backache!). And I'd rather see someone wearing their baby in one of those than pushing around a car seat and hardly touching the baby at all. So...if it were me, I'd probably donate it.

DDCC from July as I'm also looking for an infant carrier for hot July (all of my other have been winter babies...)

I've been referring to this article for...decades (wow! Can't believe it's been so long!) when the narrow-crotched infant carrier discussion comes up.

Have you seen it?

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#36 of 36 Old 04-25-2016, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Boba for best all-around

We loved and still love our Boba! Boba Wrap was really stretchy and comfy, and really easy to get tight enough. It's softer, too. The Boba Carrier 4G is awesome! Wider seat, higher back, foot straps, quick-release for easier nursing - we still use it occasionally for our DD at nearly 4 years old, and she's tall! Great company, too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page