Carriers, Slings, Wraps- Oh My! - Mothering Forums
 8Likes

#1 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Carriers, Slings, Wraps- Oh My!

I'm going to be lazy and just a thread about this instead of looking to see if there is an old one.

I have a K'Tan, but I just don't like it much. I'm wondering if I have the wrong size for me since it feels too big. The babies head sinks down into it and looks like it's going to smother. If I keep the head poking out, it tends to pop out and I feel the need to hold it with my hand... which kind of defeats one of the main purposes of wearing the baby.

I picked up a plain Maya wrap at a consignment sale, but have never used it. I think we still have a B'Jorn too, but I find that one uncomfortable.

I've tried the infant insert in my Ergo and wasn't crazy about it (and neither was the baby at the time). I wish there was a good infant structured carrier because I like the ease of use and the security they offer. Maybe the Lillebaby or Boba 4G?

I'm considering a Moby. I've stayed away from them so far because they look like a pain in the butt to put on. But, I would have more control over how tightly the baby is tied to me, and that would be good.

As for older babies, I love my Ergo.
gabeyho likes this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I would definitely suggest a boba wrap over a moby. I know a lot of people who talked about not being able to get the moby tight enough and it being droopy like your k'tan sounds.

The Boba wrap is stretchier so you tie it on yourself nice and secure then slide baby in.

I replaced my Boba 2g with the 4g for the added features and I want to try it with the newborn but will likely use the wrap more since it's going to be cold. I won't know how well it works til I pop this kid out though.
HeatherArtLife likes this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#3 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I love the Ergo, haven't tried any of the ones that are just like the Ergo, but it was the only carrier I tried so far that put all the weight on my hips instead of my back and also was comfortable for a short person like myself. That being said, I wouldn't expect it to work for a newborn. I tried on both Moby and Maya wraps in person with a 25 lb. doll and maybe it was just the doll, but I like Maya better because it's stretchy and Moby is not. You can get a Moby on eBay for as little as $10 (that includes shipping), but Maya is a little more used. But both are around the same price at the store. Those I would think are better for newborns and then Ergo or something else for when they're bigger and looking around.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!

#4 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Yeah- I use the Boba wrap until about 15lbs

#5 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Sorry, I said Maya wrap but actually that's a sling, I was thinking of the Boba wrap. It's just like the Moby, but stretchy.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#6 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I had a boba wrap (before it was boba, can't remember what it was called...sleepy wrap?) and it was much easier to tie than the moby, but HOT. Would never work in TX, other than the very few cold months. Maybe the fabric is different now though. I remember it being really thick and stretchy.

My stash - a k'tan, which I LOVED but didn't start using until DS was maybe 3 months, so not sure about using it with a super squish. Moby/boba wrap still may be better.

Boba 4G - I like it, bought it at the tail end of wearing DS. Much preferred the fit of it on me to the Ergo, but that is very personal. One thing I really hated though - it has a series of snaps so that it can be folded down for a newborn without an insert. Well, when it isn't snapped down, one set of snaps is placed on the inside of the waist band, so the little plastic nubs dig into me when I'm wearing it and leave marks. I'm considering trading up for a Tula just for that one reason. Even though it's supposed to be okay for a newborn, I can't imagine using it before 4-5 months or so.

Maya brand mei tai - loved it, was my go-to for many many months. Simple, comfy, cute. Bought it used from the maya web site.

Maya ring sling - bought this when DS was already kind of too big for it. I think it would actually work well with a tiny babe.

Amazonas woven wrap - bought for practically nothing from a local mom after DS was beyond wearing age. It intimidates me, but I'm willing to try it out. I'm fascinated by wovens, although I don't see myself really becoming a "wrapper."

I think I said earlier that I have four carriers...guess I meant five!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Carriers, Slings, Wraps- Oh My!

The Boba 4g has a pillow that snaps in to accommodate newborns/infants. The 3G was the one with the snap down system.

The sleepy wrap is the old boba wrap. I used it in Jacksonville for my summer baby and it was a little warm.

I have heard great things about the Maya one.

I like the fit of tula but I hate that it doesn't come with hood cord things! They are easy to make/find online though.
HeatherArtLife likes this.

#8 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I have an ergo and am really wanting a Sakura Bloom ring sling. I've never worn a baby though so I really don't know what to expect or have any input on it.
#9 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I have an ergo and am really wanting a Sakura Bloom ring sling. I've never worn a baby though so I really don't know what to expect or have any input on it.

I have never used a sling but I always make sure people do lots of research safe on positioning in a sling.

#10 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 PM

Are slings not normally safe? Is it easy to position the baby in a dangerous way?
#11 of 36 Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 PM

They are safe as long as you know how to properly position the baby so that their airways are open and breathing is not obstructed. I watched a video study once where a lady used a blood oxygen monitor on a baby In a sling and it was super easy for the oxygen levels to drop. It's not as easy as sticking the baby in and going on. Making sure their chin isn't pressed against their chest and making sure their nostrils arn't pushed against you type stuff.

#12 of 36 Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Back when I had my first baby, it was common for people to use a cradle position in a ring sling (baby lying horizontally like you would cradle in your arms). That position turned out to be easy to position wrong, blocking baby's airway (chin to chest). I thought the position was uncomfortable for me anyway, so I always used an upright tummy-to-tummy carry in the ring sling. That is now the recommended position for safety. Really, it's the same position baby would be in in most carriers - K'tan, Moby, SSC, etc.

I really like ring slings for the newborn stage. I've also used a stretchy wrap ($1/yd fabric from Walmart) and woven wrap at that stage. When baby is around 4 months old, I start to use am SSC on front. Around 6 months I start using it on my back. I like different carriers for different stages and different situations. You can never have too many carriers, right?

For this baby, I currently have a size 3 Vatanai woven wrap to use for church and such, where I want quick in and out. Last time I used a Zolowear silk ring sling I bought used. Sadly, I gave it away with the other baby stuff. I also have a size 6 Ellevill Zara woven wrap that I can use for any stage, but I'm more likely to use it when not needing to get baby in and out much. I can even carry newborn on my back with this wrap, though I tend not to do that due to the spitup factor. For later, I have a Babyhawk Oh Snap (SSC) that I kept from last kid. I love that carrier.

The stretchy wraps are great for newborn squish, but they are really only good for about 15 lbs. You can pretie them at home, drive to the store, then slip baby in. The K'tan needs to be small enough to hold baby tight. It's very common for people to accidentally get a larger size than they need. Definitely one to try on in the store if you can. I see them for sale all the time on my local babywearing group because someone needs a smaller size.

Many areas have babywearing groups now, so go over to thebabywearer.com and see if you have a group near you. Then you can try out different carriers and see what you like. Mine even let me borrow a kid to try carriers out.
Silverbirch likes this.
#13 of 36 Old 01-04-2015, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I love structured carriers, esp the ergo. I have neve had the insert for it and last time just used a rolled up blanket and I think it worked ok, but was probably not ideal. I tried a moby last time and it was so hot, so bulky, so annoying, and it was too stretchy and saggy. But my friend here loves hers and wears it all day and uses it constantly. I can not see myself just putting on a wrap after I get dressed and keeping it on all day. That would big the crap out of me. So I'm going to try the ergo with insert this time, since they're pretty easy to come by second hand.

I would love to try a woven ring sling, but am unwilling to invest the high cost they are just to try it out and end up not wanting to deal with it.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#14 of 36 Old 01-04-2015, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Ergo fan here. I'm considering the ergo wrap for the early weeks. When baby can sit, I love using a jellybean sling to do a hip carry. It's like an infinity scarf they can sit in. Super easy to put on and get them in. I don't use it on the go, just around the house. Before I choose a wrap I want to check for diastasis-safe carriers. Weight distribution can make it worse if you have it, or slow healing.
#15 of 36 Old 01-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Last time I used a Moby for the 0-3 month phase and loved it! It was hot though. Since I loved wrapping with that I've fallen into the wide world of woven wraps for this baby. The choices are seriously crazy! I bought a didymos waves size 6,and am super excited to try it out. I'm going to go to the local babywearers group meet up to see and try some more in person. We had an ergo last time also and used that thing like crazy. We could do big hikes and be comfy. It was also my husband's favorite. My mom's dog ate it though, so she's buying us a new ssc. I think I'm going to ask for a tula.
#16 of 36 Old 01-04-2015, 04:54 PM

@gabeyho how about a regular linen ring sling? Woven conversions are absolutely beautiful, but you can get Hugh quality ring slings for much much cheaper.

#17 of 36 Old 01-06-2015, 12:54 AM

@luckiest where do I look? Give me a name? I don't have the time and energy to dive into the baby carrier world and sort it all out again now that there are so many more than there were five or ten years ago.

#18 of 36 Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 AM

Sleeping Baby Productions has linen ring slings at reasonable prices.

You can also check the FSOT board on thebabywearer.com (and here). That's how I got a silk Zolowear for $50. It retailed for over $100.
gabeyho likes this.
#19 of 36 Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Sleeping Baby or Maya, both reasonable and high quality. Maya sells (or at least used to) second hand from their site, and they're also easy to find used on forums. I think I got my Maya for like $25.

gabeyho likes this.

#20 of 36 Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 AM

Man, I have not been on babywearer in ages. I feel like I'm starting all over again!

#21 of 36 Old 01-07-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeyho View Post
Man, I have not been on babywearer in ages. I feel like I'm starting all over again!
Yeah, when I posted a thread on there, I noticed that an admin posting to my thread hadn't been a member as long as I had, but I haven't posted in forever. It's been almost 3 years since we needed to wear my youngest.
#22 of 36 Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Some of my husband's relatives gave us a hand-me-down Infantino soft-structured carrier for our baby shower last weekend. It's a forward-facing crotch dangler, so I have no plans to use it. Question is, what do I do with it? I would donate it to Goodwill, but then I don't want to donate something that could potentially harm someone else's baby. Throw it away?

#23 of 36 Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM

After being involved in some discussions about narrow based carriers with my local babywearing group, I've actually softened on the issue. I *really* don't like narrow based carriers, I always cringe when I see them, but the truth is that even though they aren't good for alignment and are not typically comfortable for either baby or wearer, they also probably aren't going to cause any issues (besides a backache!). And I'd rather see someone wearing their baby in one of those than pushing around a car seat and hardly touching the baby at all. So...if it were me, I'd probably donate it.

cagnew likes this.

#24 of 36 Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks, @luckiest ! I'll put it in the donate pile.

#25 of 36 Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
Yeah, when I posted a thread on there, I noticed that an admin posting to my thread hadn't been a member as long as I had, but I haven't posted in forever. It's been almost 3 years since we needed to wear my youngest.

I went to Babywearer today and it's just not very active and isn't what I remembered using the most in the past for FSOT. Then I remembered what I had used so well in the past; diaperswappers!! That forum and FSOT is still hopping. Anyone looking for a great deal on a variety of carriers second-hand, I highly recommend diaperswappers.

#26 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I've never been a fan of SSCs, personally, but my husband does like them. Ring slings are my favorite for newborns, and well beyond that. I still wear my 2.5 year-old once a week or so in a wrap-conversion ring sling. I do a lot of back-wrapping with a woven once they are a few months old, but I'm hoping to do some front carries with the baby as a newborn this time, too.

I'm looking into carriers for my 7 and 9 y/os to wear the baby. The 9 y/o wore the 2.5 y/o a lot as a baby, after he was a few months old and could fit in our bigger MT, but he's hoping to wear this baby earlier. I think we are going to get a BabyHawk, and I'm toying with the idea of wrapping them with a shorter wrap.

For those of you trying to figure out what on earth you might want to wear with, have you found a local babywearing group in your area? There's nothing like getting to check out lots of different carriers to see what the differences are!

As for purchasing used, there are two great groups on FB, The Babywearing Swap, and Babywearing on a Budget. Everything in the budget group is under $100. The big swap has prices all over the place, but there are often affordable carriers there, too. Don't be discouraged by the $400 custom and OOAK carriers you will see for sale!
gabeyho likes this.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#27 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 05:00 AM

My step sister tried to freak me out yesterday by telling me that slings are being outlawed by certain states because people are unknowingly smothering their babies in them? I just feel like you would have to be using it totally incorrectly to smother the baby. Any thoughts on this? I still have my heart set on a sling, I can't really see myself using a wrap.
#28 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I've never heard of a baby dying in a sling. I mean, maybe it's happened, but... usually the media is quick to jump on all things AP and bash the heck out if it if a handful of babies/kids get injured or die (like co-sleeping). I haven't heard any media stories about kids dying in slings yet. In my opinion, nothing is 100% safe. Crap happens. That's life. Sometimes things happen because people are stupid, sometimes it happens to even the best and more aware parent. I'm so tired of the constant bubble-mentality and fear-mongering when it comes to raising kids. I can't even read "Parents" magazine anymore because I feel like 50% of it is about the dangers of child-raising (and the other 50% is all about finding "me" time and getting AWAY from your kids)(with some expensive product ADS thrown in here and there).

Okay, rant over. I'm cranky this morning

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#29 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I had read one article about babies dying in incorrectly worn slings. It is the same problem with babies sleeping in car seats or swings though. Their heads get tucked into a bad position and cuts off air flow.

With my oldest two, people weren't baby wearing much that I saw. I was given what would probably be called a crotch dangler and never liked it. I have a very short torso and it did not adjust small enough for me. When I started my training as a midwife, I was excited to see new carriers. With my 6yo, I had decided to go with a homemade Moby. Being in TExas, we did sweat in it quite a bit. I was more bummed that he got too heavy for it too soon. Now, I am a lot more immersed in the crunchy world. So I know a lot more about carriers. So far, I have another homemade Moby, a ring sling, and a non adjustable sling. I am hoping to get a wrap sling, a SSC, and a wrap. I want to carry this baby as long as possible.
#30 of 36 Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 AM

@bren94 - probably what she was referring to was that a bunch of pouch-style slings were recalled due to smothering concerns. It was several years ago. I don't remember details...I don't recall anything being banned or illegal, but maybe some organization (AAP?) issued a warning or something. A couple companies (maybe more than a couple) that primarily sold pouch slings went out of business. The thing about pouch/pocket style slings is that they aren't very adjustable (or at all), and if they aren't worn right, which is easy to do, baby can easily settle waaaay down in the bottom of the pocket, even out of view, and get in a bad position that restricts airflow. I remember one time seeing a tiny baby in a pouch sling, way too big for the mom, and the baby was seriously almost down by the mom's hip and completely out of view. Yikes! One of the general guidelines of baby wearing is to have the baby up high enough that you can easily kiss the top of baby's head (or equivalently high on your back).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page