pre labor/ labor - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
 87Likes

#91 of 332 Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Sounds like your midwives are low key. That's awesome! Good luck. I also noticed a whitish discharge in my pee this morning... I always imaging the mucous plug as thick and pink tinged. Hmmmm... maybe mine is also going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 332 Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
It could just be thin discharge. Something similar has happened to me, especially in the morning and especially if I had sex the night before. If it were me I'd probably follow the guidelines as if it were amniotic fluid (nothing in vagina) for a couple days. If you don't have any more leaks and no labor, then I'd assume it was discharge (or that the bag resealed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#93 of 332 Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Bah! I give up. Everything has pretty much stopped except for the random set of contractions here and there. I dilated to 2 cm so things were definitely happening. I've tried dtd, walking a bit, birth ball stuff. The only time contractions picked up was when I laid down to take a nap. I'm ready to accept its just not time yet. Hoping my sister can watch the kids so DH and I can go out to dinner tonight. I want a glass of wine!

I just wish I hadn't asked DH to take off of work! He doesn't mind and he has lots of days available to take off, but it still bothers me.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 

#94 of 332 Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I just ordered some fabric to make some leggings for baby as my designated distraction for when I think I might be in labor but I'm not sure yet

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#95 of 332 Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I don't know for sure because I haven't gone into labor before. But I went for a 2 mile walk today. Came home and was nauseated. Was going to try pumping but had to stop. Immediately started puking and having awful contractions for a while. Been having them every 5-7 min for 5 hours but don't feel like they are progressing. Either way it's exciting not to just have my water break and never go into labor.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#96 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 AM

@sarahknavy That sounds promising! Have things continued to progress?

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#97 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 02:45 AM

I'm having trouble sleeping now but was able to rest some. Still having contractions though!

#98 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Sarahknavy, yea! That sounds exciting!!
#99 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 05:58 AM

Grr. When I got up they got all wonky. Wonder if he's not in a good position. I'm gonna sleep a little longer and hope he can figure himself out.

#100 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm wondering if I'm going to have any prelabor signs at all. I'm only 36w6d, but last birth I don't remember having any. I just woke up, a week before edd,in labor and had him five hours later. Hearing everyone's symptoms is exciting. I'm hoping for some pre warning.
#101 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Well, I had another gush of fluid this morning while sitting on the couch. Enough to soak through my clothes and onto the couch. I called the after hours emergency line for my midwife's office and am waiting for them to call me back. Not sure if this is more of the "thin mucus plug" they suggested on Thursday or if it's amniotic fluid. It certainly seems like too much liquid to be plug or discharge!

I just wish they would call me back so I know if I need to go to the hospital to get swabbed.

#102 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
@knittygritty , that sounds like you should go to the hospital and get checked. The worst that will happen is that they turn you away and say it's not amniotic fluid. Plus, it will be in the same calendar year as the baby's birth, so you wouldn't have to spend too much more.

But like someone else said, you can also take your time and eat something before going or take a shower, just in case.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#103 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 AM

@knittygritty , does sound like fluid to me. It is probably your forebag, which can self-repair. However, if you are consistently leaking fluid, just know it will feel like you are incontinent. Also, there is a distinct smell to amniotic fluid - it is sort of sweet, not acrid like urine. If you have ever been to a birth, human or other mammal, you will have smelled it. How's your temperature? You may want to check it every now and again, as infection is the only worry with a prolonged leak (if that's what it is). If it is high, then I would get in ASAP. If not, take your time. If you notice you keep leaking, you may want to start walking etc. to try to get your labor going (esp since it's daytime), or eat some high protein food and take a nap (if you are at all tired) before you go in and have them start making recommendations. But as always, listen to your gut on this. Good luck

#104 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
@knittygritty , that sounds like you should go to the hospital and get checked. The worst that will happen is that they turn you away and say it's not amniotic fluid. Plus, it will be in the same calendar year as the baby's birth, so you wouldn't have to spend too much more.

But like someone else said, you can also take your time and eat something before going or take a shower, just in case.
It makes sense to see if the discharge is fluid, but I would again, very much warn you NOT to get vaginal exams with a broken bag if you hope to minimize interventions. The data are conclusive that vaginal checks are not a good idea period, but especially when the sac is ruptured. You will know you are dilating when you start having an increase in bloody show, and good strong contractions. No need to increase risk for the sake of curiosity. Good luck!
RonnaLeigh likes this.

#105 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Knittygritty, I can't remember your birthing plans. If you're planning on a hospital, they give you 12 hours to start your labor from when you have that leak. If you don't have signs of infection, I'd personally be vague about the time. And I agree with ForestLover in regards to movement. Get walking, do hip circles on a ball. Once that main bag of waters has opened, the baby's head is applying direct pressure to your cervix which is great.

FWIW, My water breaks first every time. I only beat the 12 hour clock once. In hindsight I wish I would have allowed more time by not telling the midwives...
#106 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM

My only experience with water breaking was with my first pregnancy in which my diet was not all that great (nor my knowledge of anything relating to birth), so it was a gush and labor started on its own pretty quickly. I know that vaginal checks aren't good, (didn't realize how bad, though), but I guess the concern is when the bag ruptures and loses too much amniotic fluid and labor doesn't start for whatever reason. When I was going through my birth plan with my main OB, he said that if your bags rupture and you haven't delivered within 12 hours, they automatically administer antibiotics, even if you're GBS negative. That is just their standard procedure. Hospitals are interventionist places in general.

#107 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
pre labor/ labor

I've been having surges on and off the last couple of days (excuse my hippiness, but I'm trying to get into a less anxious headspace, and I'm eliminating contraction from my vocabulary ), mostly at the end of the day, or when my 2.5 y/o is nursing. They are almost always ignorable. I'm not sure what to think yet, as this usually starts weeks before my EDD. Our dates are for sure, and my EDD is Monday, so we shall see! My babies are always "late" anyway, and I don't put a lot of stock in an actual due date, but it has been interesting to experience prelabor a little differently this time.
@sarahknavy , I read your post about walking two miles, and I suddenly felt like a serious wimp. I walked around the block for fifteen minutes the other day, and I was pooped!

I'm praying your baby gets into position and stops teasing (and torturing) you very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toby View Post
I'm wondering if I'm going to have any prelabor signs at all. I'm only 36w6d, but last birth I don't remember having any. I just woke up, a week before edd,in labor and had him five hours later. Hearing everyone's symptoms is exciting. I'm hoping for some pre warning.

This is pretty much exactly what my first was like. I never even had a single BH. I went to lunch with DH and some friends after church, and was them overwhelmed by exhaustion, so I went home to take a nap, while DH went to his mom's to work on his car. I woke up in VERY active labor (although, I thought it was early labor, or maybe even just really bad indigestion; I had been running to the toilet all day, and had no idea that was a sign of early labor; I thought I ate something that made me sick!), and called my DH to come home NOW. My poor husband was quite shocked when he got home from his mom's, to discover I had not just had one or two surges in the thirty minutes we had talked, but like eight. DS1 was born 5.5 hours after that first one, and it probably would have been sooner if I hadn't had to hold him in all the way to the birth center, 40 minutes away (even though everything was so intense, I really still thought I was in early labor. My mom was in labor with me for two days, and I expected my first baby to be the same. If my doula- a student mw- hadn't made the decision to check me, finding that my bag was bulging, we would have had a accidental u/a).

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
It makes sense to see if the discharge is fluid, but I would again, very much warn you NOT to get vaginal exams with a broken bag if you hope to minimize interventions. The data are conclusive that vaginal checks are not a good idea period, but especially when the sac is ruptured. You will know you are dilating when you start having an increase in bloody show, and good strong contractions. No need to increase risk for the sake of curiosity. Good luck!
I have to agree. You definitely want to monitor yourself, but I would be really hesitant to get put on a clock, or to have anyone poking around in there.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#108 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeesh, what a day. I did end up going into the hospital to get a swab per my midwife's instruction. In the end, the swab came back negative for amniotic fluid. The monitors showed I was having contractions the whole time we were there, and at first I didn't notice them at all, but towards the end they started getting uncomfortable. My midwife checked my cervix and I?m not dilated at all, so now I get to go home and eat some Chinese take out and watch a movie.
I know it was better safe than sorry, but I still feel like a sheepish first time mom.
Valerie11 likes this.
#109 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 PM

pre labor/ labor

@Rikki Jean - I wish it would help more. I walked 4 miles the other day and didn't even get contractions. I think the puking probably kicked it up more than anything else. My baby is finally pushing on my cervix and I definitely can't walk quite as much at a time now.

#110 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 04:44 PM

I'm all over the map. I have nausea on and off. Contractions that are painful on and off. Heartburn on and off, even though the baby has supposedly dropped. And sometimes I can't walk at all, and sometimes I'm just fine. Is it possible for the baby to undrop after it's dropped?

#111 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittygritty View Post
Yeesh, what a day. I did end up going into the hospital to get a swab per my midwife's instruction. In the end, the swab came back negative for amniotic fluid. The monitors showed I was having contractions the whole time we were there, and at first I didn't notice them at all, but towards the end they started getting uncomfortable. My midwife checked my cervix and I?m not dilated at all, so now I get to go home and eat some Chinese take out and watch a movie.
I know it was better safe than sorry, but I still feel like a sheepish first time mom.

Glad to hear you got this resolved. It's so hard just wondering what the deal is.

#112 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
Knittygritty, I can't remember your birthing plans. If you're planning on a hospital, they give you 12 hours to start your labor from when you have that leak. If you don't have signs of infection, I'd personally be vague about the time. And I agree with ForestLover in regards to movement. Get walking, do hip circles on a ball. Once that main bag of waters has opened, the baby's head is applying direct pressure to your cervix which is great.

FWIW, My water breaks first every time. I only beat the 12 hour clock once. In hindsight I wish I would have allowed more time by not telling the midwives...
I agree, though felt hesitant to say this outright. I will also say, your midwives' response to your first call was encouraging. They didn't seem worried, and may have minimized it to avoid putting you on the clock. But be aware, though, that if you go to E-room, that will start the clock. So yeah, you use your intuition. If it were me, I'd be vague, just make sure to monitor temps, and let labor get started. If it is a slow leak, you have nothing to worry about because the placenta will continue to make amniotic fluid. And, since you are still a bit early, your placenta should still be doing that quite well.

#113 of 332 Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM

knitty- don't feel sheepish! I had a false alarm with baby #4 . It can be really hard to tell what's going on and since every pregnancy and labor is different, it doesn't matter if you are a first time mom or a 5x mom!

#114 of 332 Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I was almost going to post about my own potential fluid leak yesterday. It happened about an hour after sex, so when I felt it come out I didn't think much about it. Until I went to the bathroom a bit later and realized the fluid had leaked through my underwear and onto my pants, which seemed like a lot more than usual post-sex fluids. And it didn't smell like semen. I even had my husband (very reluctantly) smell it, and he also didn't think it was semen smelling. I went about my afternoon including a nap, and didn't have anything else come out. Also no spotting or mucus or obvious contractions, just some faint menstrual-like cramps here and there. So I'm assuming the fluid was sex related, but keeping things out of there for the next couple days just in case it is a bit of a leak.
#115 of 332 Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM

So, this morning was dilated to a 3 and have been having painful contractions off and on all day. I can't exactly remember what made me go to the hospital last time. I just remember that I had a back ache at about 9pm, so I took a bath (as I usually did every night), and that didn't help. My husband told me to take a Tylenol and go to sleep, but I was like, "No, something's not right." So we eventually went the hospital and by the time I was in the room, it was definitely real contractions that I couldn't talk through. I remember waiting for one to be over so that they could do the epidural. But I don't remember how painful they were or what exactly made me go in the first place, because I could talk through them when we decided to go.

I figure maybe somehow I'll just know. I'm just scared, especially after reading some birth stories here and watching a lot of women in our DDC go early that I just won't make it in time.

#116 of 332 Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
pre labor/ labor

Found out I am dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced today. I also definitely lost my mucus plug today it was like non stop mucus all day long... Ha ha. Been having contractions roughly five minutes apart for an hour and a half now..not sure when I want to go to labor and delivery or if I should just wait and see.

gabeyho likes this.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#117 of 332 Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
Found out I am dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced today. I also definitely lost my mucus plug today it was like non stop mucus all day long... Ha ha. Been having contractions roughly five minutes apart for an hour and a half now..not sure when I want to go to labor and delivery or if I should just wait and see.
Ahhh! Another one going early! Keep us updated!
#118 of 332 Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Still having contractions but less consistent so just relaxing.. Hoping they intensify tonight.

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#119 of 332 Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post

Hope you were able to get some rest! Keep us updated

#120 of 332 Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 AM

Rough night. Went to labor and delivery cause baby's movements slowed down. Ended up being uncomfortable for two hours and although I was still contracting they weren't strong enough to make any progress. Still feel like I am having contractions this morning even but I guess I will go to work and wait for it to get worse? Ha ha

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page