Post Partum Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 38Likes

#31 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Oh gosh, @cagnew , I'm sorry to hear about how the BF is going. It's always scary when the one thing that you want them to do involves the food that is keeping them alive, because it's not like you can just hold out and wait for them to 'get it'.

BF is going much better for my little boy. He will clamp down extremely hard and it is very painful for a moment, but then he's eating and I'm fine. I have always made sure that I had lanolin or whatever on standby, but never ended up using it before, but I may end up needing something with this one. We'll see.

How's everyone's oxytocin levels doing? I am enjoying them like there's no tomorrow. I haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately, but every time I'm awake, I don't want to go to sleep, I just want to hold him. I think I may be the clingy one in this relationship.

I just got home today, but I'm wishing I'd stayed another day in the hospital. I'm useless around here to everyone except the baby and also it seems I'm sensitive to light and noise. I think that's the pain medication. I went down to one pill and so far, so good. I can't wait to get off of them altogether. I'm not a big fan of pain medication for more than a day or two. After that it does cause me nasty side effects, or annoying at least.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Tee, oh man what a pump fiasco!

Sarahknavy, is it just you and your littles on the flight or do you have help?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the aforementioned crotch issues. I'm seriously considering wearing tri shorts when I have to grocery shop. They're tight spandex with a pad in the crotch. My thought is the counter pressure will help with any potential droopy-ness. I could wear them under jeans or just as is and make everyone uncomfortable at the sight, haha.
#33 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My sister is here. So we have 2 adults and 4 kids under 4. Ha! Poor plane passengers

I am also so freaking in love with my baby. After such a hard time with my daughter, I feel like I am in complete heavenly bliss. Seriously... Might be even better than my first.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.

#34 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 05:30 PM

@TeeThatsMe , somehow I totally missed your post about going to Target for breast pumps. I got mine through insurance this time (if ins didn't cover, I wouldn't have one). I actually was just looking at the insurance explanation of benefits and it says it saved me $300. If you have insurance, did you check with them to find out if you qualify for a free one?
@sarahknavy , that is awesome that you have so much help right now.
@cagnew , I missed the part where you said you would try again to breastfeed. I hope it eventually works out because exclusively pumping is not easy (but thankfully there are breastpumps for people who need to!).

#35 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
My little man has latched a couple times- didn't really eat, but did latch without freaking out. So there is still hope! Thankfully I am feeling very peaceful about either outcome. I got a nice electric pump through my insurance and tried it today- WOW! I can't believe how fast and efficient it was! With the single manual pump it took forever. This is less than half the time. I can see washing all the parts being a pain in the butt though.

Valerie: it's okay to be clingy
forestlover75 likes this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
@TeeThatsMe , somehow I totally missed your post about going to Target for breast pumps. I got mine through insurance this time (if ins didn't cover, I wouldn't have one). I actually was just looking at the insurance explanation of benefits and it says it saved me $300. If you have insurance, did you check with them to find out if you qualify for a free one?
Sigh. Yeah, I do qualify for a free pump, and I got it, and... You get what you pay for.

That's not really true--I'm sure it's a perfectly fine pump; it is in fact the exact same brand and model (an Ameda Purely Yours) that I used for my son six years ago, and it did fine for me over the course of a year of pumping at work. However, now that I've EPed with a hospital-grade Medela... There's just no way I can go back to the Ameda. I tried, but within two pumping sessions I was convinced that I would respond FAR better to a Medela Pump in Style, which isn't the enormous expense of a hospital-grade Symphony, but is still a huge huge step above the Purely Yours. And yes, now that I've been using the new PIS for two days, I can say definitively that for me, at least, it is a significant improvement on what I would've gotten if I'd stuck with the insurance freebie.

I knew this strong Medela preference going in, and was very sorely disappointed to find out that my insurance is very clear on its policy of simply providing one standard Ameda pump to all its beneficiaries, no matter what. Plus, given that I did elect to have them send it to me, it's now a total waste. I'm not going to use it--I frankly hate it. Maybe... a women's shelter or something? (Unlike the Pump in Style, the Purely Yours is a closed pump that never comes into contact with milk, so there's no issue with sharing it among different users.)

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.
#37 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
My little man has latched a couple times- didn't really eat, but did latch without freaking out. So there is still hope! Thankfully I am feeling very peaceful about either outcome. I got a nice electric pump through my insurance and tried it today- WOW! I can't believe how fast and efficient it was! With the single manual pump it took forever. This is less than half the time. I can see washing all the parts being a pain in the butt though.
Great news!! I'm so happy he's still latching from time to time. But yes, if/when you have to pump, that electric pump will sure be a lifesaver. The parts are totally a pain in the butt, but... A hot water rinse takes care of just about everything if you get to it right away.
forestlover75 likes this.

#38 of 233 Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 AM

Tee, I guess my insurance is a little different. I am still fuzzy on the details, but I had to call them and check and they told me what I qualified for, then I went to a local place and they helped me choose (I think it's the pump in style, but for sure it's Medela). Either way I'm still not clear on what my options really were. I haven't even opened the box yet, I will have to try it out at some point. Sounds like you have a lot more experience with EP than I do. I haven't used an electric pump since my first child.

#39 of 233 Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 AM

Yeah. I actually thought about switching insurance over this since open enrollment was just in December, but overall we're happy with our coverage and stand a good chance at getting most of our home birth covered, so why cut off our nose to spite our face, you know? I'm not happy about eating $220, but... Oh, well.

#40 of 233 Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 AM

EP mamas already know this, but just in case: I put my pump parts in a freezer bag in the fridge between sessions and I just wash them once a day. I had to pump 4x daily with DD2, so not as frequently, but the bag/fridge combo saved a bunch of time.
#41 of 233 Old 02-16-2015, 04:11 AM

I was off the percocet for a day and eventually the pelvic pain and nipple pain was so bad that I went back on it last night. Trying to do one pill every 6 hours as that's the least amount per the instructions, and probably only for another day. My head was feeling so funny, like vibrating and sort of like a headache, I thought it was the percocet, but when I went off it, the feeling was still there. Now I'm thinking it's a leftover side effect from the spinal.

I keep getting these feelings of being overwhelmed by all the people in the house. I wonder how I'm going to manage everything when my mom finally leaves at the end of the week. She has been so helpful. She does everything with the kids, even disciplines them. She makes dinner every night. It's so great having her here. I was worried that first night in the hospital that I would never walk again, but I was walking fine by the next day, so I know I will recover, it just seems impossible right now.

I was reading an article from Mothering a while back about allowing yourself time to recover. Don't think it's going to take a couple of weeks, it could take a month or more. So my goal is to just focus on the baby and getting the kids to school. And that's it. Everything else can slide unless I'm feeling up to it. That includes running errands. I'm debating whether cooking dinner before my husband gets home is a necessity, though I'm sure the kids think it is.

Also, I love it when my baby screams and squeals. I haven't been frustrated with him even once. I just think he's too cute to be mad at. Even when I'm sleep deprived.

#42 of 233 Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

@Valerie11 I'm 11 days out and feeling like I will never get back to normal physically. My whole body is aching as if I have the flu (I don't). My head is pounding, and this has been an issue for awhile. I admit, I took a percocet a day until yesterday to deal with all the aches and pains and nipple issues. I have a feeling doing that is going to make things worse for a few days while I start to do without it. I'm tempted to take some ibuprofen because I feel so rotten this morning, but I really want to try to go without. My tummy has no muscle control whatsoever, and when I wake up, my muscles all over try to stretch themselves or something and it feel like I'm on the brink of charlie-horsing. Like you said, I think it's going to take at least a month to start feeling more normal. *sigh* I did too much this weekend and my bleeding has picked up.

I did an enema and that got things moving a bit, and I've now had a couple bm's, so that's good. It wasn't too terrible either, thank goodness!

Still pumping away. I'm going to try to take him to a special chiropractor and then give nursing another serious attempt. I can't seem to just let go of the hope to breastfeed (though I am not stressing about it... just a little sad).

DH goes back to work tomorrow. I'm so thankful he has been able to be off this long with me, but I'm not looking forward to handling everything by myself now.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#43 of 233 Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Cagnew, I took DD2 to an osteopath for cranial manipulation to help with her feeding problems. She had very mild torticolis and it helped. Hopefully your baby's adjustment is just the ticket.

Valerie, I hope the aches and pains subside.
#44 of 233 Old 02-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
This is definitely my most challenging recovery. Hell, I don't consider the other 2 challenging at all. I have had a bout of the baby blues with this one and the afterbirth contractions have been quite the challenge. I am allowing myself the luxury of doing as little as possible. My mom is here, so, I cook nothing and I wash no dishes. I do wash the baby's diapers, though. Otherwise, I just do me and the baby.

I had my placenta encapsulated with my second and didn't notice any appreciable difference from the first recovery. But, with this one, I got my pills Saturday afternoon and couldn't wait to take them. I can definitely say that my mood is better since starting them. Very thankful!

Breast feeding is going reasonably well. I don't have the cracked nipples DS gave me, or the thrush I had with DD. I do have to get this little one up every 2 hours to nurse, though. Here we are on day 6 and this is the first day I have not had to wake her each time. Day before yesterday it took me 45 minutes to rouse her on one occasion!

The most challenging part is the different parenting styles that DF and I have. His first, who is now 18, was formula fed and took a pacifier. He has no appreciation for my resistance to introducing the pacifier before breast feeding is established. fortunately, no pushback on the cloth diapers!

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#45 of 233 Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Pain is a lot more manageable with the pain pills, thankfully.
@honeybunmom , I understand the reasoning for keeping the pacifier away until BF is established. The baby needs a good latch and that involves sucking the nipple pretty hard so that it is elongated and nipples/pacifiers are already elongated without all the work to get them that way. I was thankful for the pacifier the first and second day in the hospital when the baby was really not hungry and just wanted to suck. But now that we're home and nursing, most of the time he's like "Get that thing away from me, it's not milk." But every once in a while it's useful when he's not hungry and we just need him to be comforted so that we can change his diaper or clothing since he just HATES being naked even for a moment.

#46 of 233 Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 AM

@Valerie11 we were only in the hospital one night. And the nurse actually told DF to put his pinky in her mouth, pad side up, to soothe her. And she's not that fussy yet anyway. So, I would prefer him to do that. I am all for her having her suckling needs met. And if she were a screamer maybe I'd be more inclined to use a paci, but simply put, she's pretty easy. (Wet diaper? No problem. Naked? No problem. Poopy diaper? No problem. Ready to eat? Then she sounds like a basket of feral cats.) He just seems to be so wed to doing the opposite of what I want. And, I am trying to not get so upset since I will be spending the most time with her during these early days with him at work every day. And I said I am ok with it if I am not around. But if I am, I prefer that she meet her suckling needs at the breast. When I go back to work I will pump for 6 months so that the baby has a full 12 months of breast milk. It was a struggle with dd (and my all or nothing attitude doesn't help, I know). And with this baby starting out to not be the constant feeder that the other 2 were, I have some worries lurking in my head.
@DuchessTergie , I am looking forward to getting in to see our chiro to see if she needs any tweaking. I will have my 2 week appointment with my midwives next Tuesday and they are in the same bldg so I will see if I can get an appointment for each of us then.

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#47 of 233 Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
Ready to eat? Then she sounds like a basket of feral cats.
LOL! So true.

My little guy is a bit more fussy than your girl. He's better since we've been home, but he really hates being naked or disturbed in any way that is uncomfortable for him. I forgot to pack any pacifiers when I was packing the hospital bag, so I did stick my pinky finger in his mouth for the first night we were there until my husband could bring one. As soon as I did, he started making the exact same noise that they make when they are eating (gulp, breath, gulp, breath) and I was worried that he was eating air or something! But I was also encouraged because he had a good strong suck.

#48 of 233 Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Can we talk stitches? I'm 3 weeks postpartum and my perineum is only now feeling bad-- itchy and mild burning. Is this normal? I haven't experienced this before.
#49 of 233 Old 02-18-2015, 02:48 PM

DuchessTergie, I will have to wait until I'm totally off all painkillers to figure out if I have pain or itching down there. So far, not yet. I'm still on Motrin and probably will be for at least another day.

Weird thing. During pregnancy I was not hormonal at all, and my ankles never really got swollen. Maybe just a little, but not much. Now that I've had the baby, I'm super hormonal over every little thing, crying during every TV show or when something overwhelming happens, and my ankles and calves are super swollen. I was told about the swelling that it's normal that the body holds on to all water after the birth, and that if I walk it will get better. Well, walking is not making it better. I have a 2 week postpartum checkup at which I'm going to ask about it. I asked all of the nurses during each shift at the hospital and every one of them had a different answer.

#50 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM

@Valerie11 , similarly, I had no real swelling during pregnancy. In fact, I had told DF that I needed to get my ring re-sized bc it was twirling around my finger but wanted to wait until the baby was born to see just how small I needed to go. But, now that I have given birth it fits just right! Very strange. We'll see if that is still the case once I have lost all the pregnancy weight.

#51 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM

@Valerie11 , similarly, I had no real swelling during pregnancy. In fact, I had told DF that I needed to get my ring re-sized bc it was twirling around my finger but wanted to wait until the baby was born to see just how small I needed to go. But, now that I have given birth it fits just right! Very strange. We'll see if that is still the case once I have lost all the pregnancy weight.

#52 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
Can we talk stitches? I'm 3 weeks postpartum and my perineum is only now feeling bad-- itchy and mild burnin Is this normal? I haven't experienced this before.
Its been 3 weeks since I gave birth. And my perineum doesn't hurt or burn anymore. It itches though.. it feels like my labias are bruised, but that's to be expected, they just stretched to their max.. Haha
#53 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Has anyone dealt with diarrhea during post partum or am I just a lucky individual? It's been 3 days non stop which is incredibly draining when I am trying to maintain breast feeding and can't even eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#54 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM

@alivewithyou , are you on any medications for pain? Did you ever take stool softeners? The pain medications will stop everything up and the stool softeners sometimes will cause diarrhea.

#55 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM

I'm only on ibuprofen now.. Got off my pain meds and I was on stool softeners but stopped those 4 days ago. This is just straight watery.. Im just worried about losing my supply to be honest now that I finally have a routine with breastfeeding. Plus it's terrible for my mental state.

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#56 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Yeah, it sounds like maybe it's a stomach bug, because the ibuprofen should be stopping you up, if anything. I would just keep drinking liquids and maybe even find something with electrolytes. I try to find them at the healthfood store so that they don't have all the dyes and stuff that's in Gatorade.

My oldest son is sick with a stuffy nose that turned into a cough, but now the cough is gone and he's just getting over everything. I am praying that I don't get it, because I will not be able to take the stuff the dries out your sinuses, I'm afraid it will dry up my milk, too.

#57 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
My sister had diarrhea postpartum like that. She had other things going on too though, like a bladder infection. Not sure if they were connected or not. Sorry, I know that's not much help.
#58 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM

Just makes me feel good to know I'm not alone lol.. How long did hers last?

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#59 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 04:02 PM

Thanks Cowchick for the info. I think mine are just taking their sweet time dissolving.

Alivewithyou, ouch. I hope you get better soon. This is random, but maybe this is how your body is dealing with the extra fluids from your IV? I don't have that effect, but I sweat like a dude ( I mean change-the-sheets-sweating) to shed excess IV fluids. Maybe hormones are loosening you up too.

I chose to get on the scale today which was dumb. I haven't lost any weight since I left the hospital. Oh well.
#60 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've had some killer cramping and gas that I thought was going to lead to diarrhea, but nothing much happened. It really hurt though!

Breastfeeding is still a no-go. Went to a special chiropractor and he adjusted him, but it hasn't made a difference with feeding. Granted, I am not trying very often anymore... a couple times a day maybe. He latches and sucks every now and then, but every other time is like he is going through hell or something. I think I am just done. I haven't been able to bond with him at all because of the stress. I feel very distant from him.

To be honest, pumping isn't helping things either. I can't seem to stick to a schedule because I have 5 kids and something always comes up. 15 minutes doesn't seem like a long time to sit and pump, but it is when it's every 3 hours and the baby is needy. At this point, I am thinking I will pump whenever I can and eventually, when I dry up, I will make homemade formula with goat milk. Not ideal and it's a bummer, but I have to let go at some point. Hopefully the guilt will fade. Hopefully things will be better next time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page