Post Partum Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
 38Likes

#61 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I sure sweat a lot at the hospital but maybe? Either way I am done with it lol makes it very hard to just relax and take care of this baby..
@cagnew : I wouldn't feel bad... I can't believe how hard breastfeeding has been so far... I figure every day I can do it is a success but it isn't something I really am loving. I just finally got her to latch with the use of a nipple shield. And I haven't been able to pump either in between all the time I spend feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I forgot to mention that we went to the chiropractor on Tuesday and it was so cute. The chiro massaged his back while he was feeling his spine and he just loved it and fell asleep in his arms.

@cagnew , I am sorry to hear about how the BF is going.

@alivewithyou , I think DuchessTergie could be on to something with the excess IV fluids. My body just hung on to mine and seems to be storing it in my legs and ankles, but maybe yours went to your intestines?

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#63 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
I chose to get on the scale today which was dumb. I haven't lost any weight since I left the hospital. Oh well.
Girl, I tried to put on a pair of pre-baby jeans the other day, because I am an idiot who likes to feel bad. They got about four inches above my knees before the works jammed. Sheesh.

Cagnew, I am sorry that pumping is so hard on you. Maintaining any semblance of a pumping schedule is TOUGH, I know (and I only had two little ones to worry about when I did it)! You do what is best for you and your family--that could very well be relaxing about the pumping (or actively dropping it) so that you can adjust more easily to the new normal of five kids, and then perhaps bonding will come more easily. We're rooting for you! No guilt--you are an amazing mother!
jodieanneanton likes this.

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.

#64 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
valerie: pretty sure the swelling is from the IV. I had it too- my feet and ankles (which never swell), got really big starting a few days after I got home from the hospital. It lasted a few days, but it's gone now.

DH is going to be home tomorrow bc school was cancelled. He suggested that I spend the whole day alone in my room with the baby doing skin to skin and trying to nurse. No bottles or pacifiers- feed him with a cup or dropper so he doesn't get too hungry. Give it one more good chance before letting go. So that's the plan....
gabeyho and jodieanneanton like this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#65 of 233 Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Good luck, Corrie. I hope it works!

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#66 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
DH is going to be home tomorrow bc school was cancelled. He suggested that I spend the whole day alone in my room with the baby doing skin to skin and trying to nurse. No bottles or pacifiers- feed him with a cup or dropper so he doesn't get too hungry. Give it one more good chance before letting go. So that's the plan....
That is a great idea! I was actually secretly wishing you a mini-vacation from everything to focus on the baby. What a great husband!

#67 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Love that, @cagnew . Good papa!

#68 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

So here is the update for anyone who cares

He screamed for 2 1/2 hours this morning, then finally latched and ate @11. Halfway decent latch- not perfect, but not horrible. He slept for a short time and woke up angry. Tried to latch him and he screamed again. The lactation consultant called and wasn't much help. I already knew everything she suggested, so I figure I must be doing everything okay. She did recommend giving him an ounce in the bottle to calm him down, then nurse. So DH gave him the ounce and I got in the tub. Baby was freaking out, but calmed down and relaxed in the tub (first bath!). He eventually nursed fairly well on one side. Then he pooped and the water was just disgusting.

Now he is sleeping. I'm honestly dreading the next feeding. I can't believe it's only been two feedings. Feels like a lifetime

I really hope he stops screaming before eating before the night is over. Tomorrow we are supposed to go out for ds1 and dd2's birthdays and my FIL and his girlfriend are coming from Georgia. I can't nurse a screaming baby in public. As it is, I would probably nurse him in the van as there is no way I would attempt it in public- but I can't spend two hours in the van! At the same time, I don't want to resort to the bottle and possibly undermine all this work. I guess I'll make it up as I go along.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#69 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
My stomach is slowly getting better although I still have no freaking appetite... People keep bringing me all this good food and I just can't stomach much. Baby girl is eating beautifully and we are doing a lot of skin to skin today because it makes me happy.

Found out husband has to go back to work a week earlier than planned so I am trying not to panic but I am becoming more and more confident as a mom everyday with her.

Stitches are super sore today and I feel like my vagina is going to fall out ha ha oh and I am still dealing with the most wicked hormones. Took a shower with dh this morning and just bawled the entire time.. It was nice to finally have some time with just me and him.. Didn't realize how much I missed it... And I really miss my big round curvy belly... My body feels so deflated and blah now.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#70 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 PM

@cagnew , Yay for progress! Is it possible for you to stay home while everyone else goes out for the birthday? We went out on Wednesday for my first son's birthday and I almost stayed home, but since we are feeding well I just took my cover and hoped for the best. He slept the whole time we were in the restaurant and then on the way home startes screaming, so we did musical chairs and I fed him in the back of the van. But, I was seriously contemplating not going at all and letting everyone else go without me. If I were in your situation, I would probably just stay home and spend another day working on the BF.

#71 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I agree with Valerie, I would stay home and keep making progress if it's possible.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#72 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Cagnew, that sounds so hard. Hang in there! Have you seen more than 1 LC? I've mentioned DD2's feeding troubles (and there was a myriad) and finally after the 4th LC we made some progress. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can be really helpful. I also found the MOBI site really helpful and encouraging.

I also feel funny with my deflated belly and my saggy-baggy undercarriage. Tomorrow DS will be 4 weeks and I saw a twinkle in DH's eye. Forget about it, buddy!

Last edited by DuchessTergie; 02-20-2015 at 04:13 PM.
#73 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesstergie View Post
tomorrow ds will be 4 weeks and i saw a twinkle in dh's eye. Forget about it, buddy!
lol!

#74 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
I also feel funny with my deflated belly and my saggy-baggy undercarriage. Tomorrow DS will be 4 weeks and I saw a twinkle in DH's eye. Forget about it, buddy!

Hahaha!

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#75 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Third feeding started with 45 minutes of screaming but I was able to calm him and he ate again. Question- he prefers one side and latches very well. The other side has some damage and is funny shaped right now. Is it okay to let him feed just on the one side and pump the other side? I'm usually a one boob feeder anyway but I normally alternate with feedings.

I decided I will go with them to watch them pick out their bikes but I won't be going out to eat with them (unless he makes some miracle kind of progress before then).

Thanks for all the encouragement! I really super appreciate it.
gabeyho likes this.

#76 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Question- he prefers one side and latches very well. The other side has some damage and is funny shaped right now. Is it okay to let him feed just on the one side and pump the other side? I'm usually a one boob feeder anyway but I normally alternate with feedings.
I say yes. I also have a better side that is easier for my babies. This kid has to be serious and not lazy to drink from the other side. I'm sure if your baby gets practice on the good side, he will eventually eat on the other side, too.

#77 of 233 Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Sorry it's been so rough cagnew. I had a really really rough time with ds1. I have so much sympathy for you. Sounds like you're really giving it a go! However it turns out, he sure is lucky to have such a great mama trying so hard!
#78 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Feeding #4 lots of screaming, eventually nursed.

Currently #5 and screaming again. Going on an hour.

I honestly don't think I can do this much longer. I would have thought there would be some progress made by now. The screaming and screaming and clawing at me...my nipples don't feel too bad but my breasts hurt.

#79 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM

@cagnew , I'm sorry to hear that he's still having troubles. You are doing so good at trying. I don't know a lot about BF struggles or how to solve them like a good lactation consultant would. But I have heard of people not realizing that their baby had a tongue tie, for example, but that it was later caught by a professional. It sounds like there is some physical problem that is preventing the baby from latching. I'm not certain about that, but it would explain why it's difficult for him every time. I am hoping and praying for a solution for you.

#80 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
So sorry @cagnew ! The good thing about the screaming is it means he has energy and is getting enough food. I'd agree w/ lactation consultant - why not feed him an oz to satiate, then switch to the nipple he likes. Then, when he's calm switch over to the breast you're having more trouble with. If that's too hard, just pump on that side and nurse on the other till he's more organized and can handle it. Also, I'd swaddle those arms down (even if he protests), sounds like he really works himself up and having his arms flexed will help calm him (and protect your breasts).

Hang in there, you are doing so well - even though it's SO hard, sounds like you're making progress and this hard part won't last forever. Eventually you'll get to enjoy the benefits of all this investment.

Hugs

gabeyho likes this.

#81 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Hey, I just wanted to drop in and see how everyone is doing. My recovery has been fairly easy for the most part. Except when my milk came in and I tried to get mastitis. I got it stopped quickly though and have been completely dried up for about a week now. I was back in my larger pre-pregnant clothes right away and was down to 3 lbs below my pre-pregnant weight last I checked. I missed all the super cute maternity clothes. All my normal wardrobe is so boring, so when I had to take my 16yo clothes shopping, I got a few things too.
I do have some bad cramping when I try to do too much, but otherwise feel pretty good physically. Emotionally, well I have good days and bad days.
#82 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Denton, it is so good to hear from you each time you post. Are you still getting your needs met from local friends and family? I hope your church has been supportive for you.
#83 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Post Partum Thread

@cagnew I agree with forestlover. Excellent advice to keep his hands swaddled down. I do hope you get it all worked out, but don't push yourself to the brink of resentment, either. I've been fortunate to not have nursing struggles, so on a practical level I can't relate, but I know you are highly motivated for all the right reasons and you will never be able to say you didn't give it your best try. (Hugs)

#84 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
@cagnew , we are having nursing struggles, too. It hurts to feed soooo sooo bad and Olive has a really hard time latching. I was told by a few that she did not have tongue tie... but it did not sit right with me. SOMETHING is wrong! So, I called up someone with experience in diagnosing tongue tie (To figure out if they have experience in diagnosing tongue tie, you have to ask how often they diagnose posterior tongue tie). She came over, diagnosed Olive with posterior (hidden) tongue tie and referred me to a specialized dentist for revision. He confirmed diagnosis but would like us to attempt cranial sacral therapy first. It is not working to alleviate my terrible pain and her struggle (though it is fixing some of the side effects of tongue tie, like the ridges on her head and her narrow/high palate). So, we are going in Wednesday for revision of posterior tongue tie. I suspect that it will clear up all of our problems (likely overnight)! The only reason I suspect this is that this whole thing is a very familiar story. Went through the EXACT thing with DS. Except instead of a couple of weeks, it took a couple of months to sort out. I hope you are able to find the answers you need, @cagnew . It is such a bummer to struggle with something like nursing.
@dentonmidwife I am so glad to "hear" from you. I think of you and your beautiful daughter often. I never got to comment when you posted your pictures of the memorial... but I wanted to say how lovely it was. <3

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#85 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 05:30 PM

I can't find enough information on WHY I cannot take a real bath and instead can only take sitz baths. I have some herbs in a bag that are sold by a local store and made by a local woman that I've used once so far and it was very nice. But following the directions on the bag, it was only like one inch of warm water in the bathtub all towards the drain since the tub is slanted. I basically sat in it for a minute and that was it. I think I'm going to fill the tub a few inches with warm water and stick the herbs in a tea diffuser thingy and make tub tea out of it and sit in that, instead.

#86 of 233 Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
I can't find enough information on WHY I cannot take a real bath and instead can only take sitz baths. I have some herbs in a bag that are sold by a local store and made by a local woman that I've used once so far and it was very nice. But following the directions on the bag, it was only like one inch of warm water in the bathtub all towards the drain since the tub is slanted. I basically sat in it for a minute and that was it. I think I'm going to fill the tub a few inches with warm water and stick the herbs in a tea diffuser thingy and make tub tea out of it and sit in that, instead.
I take baths post partum. My midwife actually prepares an herbal REAL bath right after birth! I know the reasoning has something to do with feared infection... but i have never seen science/studies to back up that concern.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#87 of 233 Old 02-22-2015, 01:09 AM

Oh my gosh, all I want in the whole world is a bath.

#88 of 233 Old 02-22-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Denton, it is so good to hear from you each time you post. Are you still getting your needs met from local friends and family? I hope your church has been supportive for you.
People checking on me has slowed down, but that is kind of a good thing. It was overwhelming to constantly be checked on. I am kind of a private person and not used to all the attention. Some people were a little too pushy about wanting to help out when there wasn't much they could do. It was nice that so many wanted to help though.
#89 of 233 Old 02-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Ladies, go ahead and take your baths. The rules about not taking baths are completely outdated and based on the belief that vaginas are vacuums that suck up anything that comes near them including nasty bath water. They have done testing with colored water and tampons to show that the vagina does not in fact work as a straw with bath water infecting your uterus.
#90 of 233 Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Thank you so much for that! Of course, I've always been told no bath until the bleeding stops, but I was hoping this time around my mw would feel differently than all the obs I've seen in the past, so I was really surprised when she told me the same thing. I want to soak my body in a hot bath, and I am going to!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page