Post Partum Thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
 38Likes

#211 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatbrown View Post
And we are also a "scent free" essential oils only household, so besides the fact that the quantity of smells coming off of her were extreme to me, they were also all "fake."
Yes, exactly!

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post
As for smokers, well - sorry - they are not allowed to hold my baby at all. Unless they shower and change clothes. Period. Oh and drunk people? Nope.

Ugh! I agree. Wish my husband had checked with me before offering our neighbor to hold him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#213 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Anyone else dealing with gas/fussiness?? We've had some rough days and nights here. Last night the gassiness was keeping the baby from falling asleep, and eventually he got totally disorganized and too tired to sleep and wouldn't nurse...I was up until almost 3am with him in a sling and bouncing on the exercise ball before he finally caved. He's been sort of unorganized all day today - will only sleep in the sling, fusses at the breast for a long time before actually nursing, indiscriminate crying spells.

We're using gas drops, but they don't seem to help that much. Since being in the sling helps calm him down, I bought a swaddle blanket in hopes that it'll keep him from getting to that "red zone." He hates being swaddled in the muslin blanket, but maybe this will work better since I can get it tighter.

Right now he's actually nursing without coming off and fussing twenty times, so here's hoping the 24 hour fuss storm is passing. Two week growth spurt maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

#214 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
Anyone else dealing with gas/fussiness?? We've had some rough days and nights here... We're using gas drops, but they don't seem to help that much.
Yes! Gas drops supposedly do not actually eliminate gas, they just lump it all together so that when he/she does burp, it all comes out at once. We've found that fennel seed tea or gripe water (fennel extract) helps a lot more for this. I had some leftover in the fridge, but noticed it's expired, so we'll have to go get more. It's a lifesaver!

#215 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
@luckiest : you described my baby to almost a T. She doesn't sleep more than an hour right now before she wakes herself up.. she wants to eat constantly but will only eat smaller portions before falling asleep and then she is up again. she is the noisiest sleeper right now as well. My only solution has been to take naps with her as she naps today.. but that's all I got.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#216 of 233 Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
@luckiest and @alivewithyou ... You know those people who have a personal experience and they go making assumptions that everyone else's experience, if remotely resembling theirs, HAS to be the same? I am totally gonna do that here. Totally ignore if you want. For serious. Cuz I am being so annoying I am annoying myself! (I'm SORRY in advance!) I know that we have talked quite a bit about tongue tie. And it is entirely possible that that is not what is going on here. @luckiest , I know that you went and had Gus checked out by a dentist and she said the frenulum is normal and doesn't need clipping... but I was wondering if s/he checked for Posterior tongue tie in addition to looking at the frenulum... PTT cannot be revised by simple clipping and your description of your visit made me wonder if PTT was assessed.) Olive was just like that fussy at the breast, gas, burps, etc. before her revision. Within 24 hours, she was a new baby!! Then within 3 days, she started the weird gassy/fussy/burpy/etc. behavior... increasing in intensity with each passing day. We were just reassessed by the dentist who did the laser revision and it turns out that there has been some reattachment/healing of the lasered area (Apparently, Olive is a fast healer and I wasn't doing the stretches exactly right)... Which would explain the symptoms returning. We are going back to have it fixed on Tuesday, which will hopefully fix the returning issues. So that is sharing our experience. Mostly, I just wanted to point out that while those symptoms (falling asleep after eating only a small amount, gassiness, fussiness, grunting, and more) could be symptoms of a number of things, they can also be signs of a tie. No matter the cause, I hope things get more managable for you guys!!! I am in the midst of it now, too! (Though I hope Tuesdays re-revision will bring relief once again!)

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#217 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Interesting @jodieanneanton ! My little guy has both a tongue and lip tie, which we are booked in to have revised by laser. He's been having fussy episodes, grunting and a lot of gas and I think he's taking in air while feeding. It's another week before we can have the treatment though, so I'm also in the midst with you!

Me & him
, and at long last, little Lincoln
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#218 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM

She did evaluate for PTT as well...she said his tongue mobility is really good, he elevated the back of his tongue, and that if she were to clip there's hardly anything there to clip at all, like maybe 1mm. We left things saying I would go to the CST one more time, really work on his latch, and if nothing improved in the next two weeks I'd come back and she'd revise. I don't want to put him through it if it's unnecessary, you know?

Next week we have our second CST appointment, and if that doesn't help any of this then I'll go back in to the dentist.

I tried swaddling Gus last night. It was better than the night before, but still not great. I think the swaddle kept him from waking up fully and going into full scale crying, but he still grunted and kicked all night and I hardly slept again. Ugh.

jodieanneanton likes this.

#219 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Joshua is also very fussy. He is probably my most difficult baby- definitely my worst sleeper. Out of five babies he is the first one to be so needy that I have a hard time getting shower or just drinking a cup of hot coffee. He doesn't just want to be held, he wants to be jiggled and rocked and patted. It's exhausting. All of my babies have been crabby and clingy, but he takes the cake!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#220 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Gus is super happy and content when he's awake - I can set him down on the bed or in the bouncer and he will be content the whole time he's awake. But as soon as he starts to get sleepy he resists going to sleep. Rocking, walking, bouncing, nursing, pacifier, sling...he'll force his eyes open as long as possible. So frustrating! DS1 did this too, but he didn't start until much later. I always said about DS1, that he doesn't "go" to sleep, he succumbs. Then once he is actually asleep, he can't be set down. At all. Lord help you if you have to poop while he's asleep.

#221 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Kip is the gassiest baby I've had. I drink fennel tea at night and give him a ml too. It really does help, but turns his poop green. He once slept alone in his co-sleeper but that is a distant memory. Now he needs to be swaddled in the ergo while being bounced. I'm over it. I actually have to wear him to the bathroom.

I can see he does in fact have a lip tie, which may explain the gas. His weight gain is good, and I don't have any pain during nursing. However, he struggles when the milk flows faster. I hear occasional clicks and squeaks. He also had a callus on his upper lip.
#222 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liam squeaks quite a bit when he eats. Is that a bad sign? I read that it could be a weak larynx or trachea or something and that it would resolve itself.

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#223 of 233 Old 03-13-2015, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So far breastfeeding for me isn't going as bad as the first time, nor as easily as the second. I'm having engorgement right now, and super sore nipples while latching, but so far not experiencing my overactive letdown, which is huge! I've never read about tongue or lip tie, but it seems like a lot of people here are dealing with it. What are the symptoms? On another note, I remember talking about being cold after birth and eating soup. I must not have known what I was talking about. I am so hot! And I won't stop sweating, especially my feet, it's so gross. My hair has also turned gross. It was so shiny and soft and now it's somehow simultaneously dry and greasy.
#224 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 12:41 AM

@bren94 , a puckering sound, clicking, squeaking or smacking coming from the mouth can be a sign of poor latch.

#225 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 AM

The squeak is in his throat when he swallows. Sounds like he's chirping. It happens when I take him off the breast too if he still has milk to swallow. Sometimes he jumps a little when it happens like it might be difficult to swallow.

June 18th, 2014

#226 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toby View Post
So far breastfeeding for me isn't going as bad as the first time, nor as easily as the second. I'm having engorgement right now, and super sore nipples while latching, but so far not experiencing my overactive letdown, which is huge! I've never read about tongue or lip tie, but it seems like a lot of people here are dealing with it. What are the symptoms? On another note, I remember talking about being cold after birth and eating soup. I must not have known what I was talking about. I am so hot! And I won't stop sweating, especially my feet, it's so gross. My hair has also turned gross. It was so shiny and soft and now it's somehow simultaneously dry and greasy.
I didn't have letdown for the first week or so, this time, but then it kicked in. At first I wasn't feeling it, I just noticed that my shirt had a stain, but now I'm actually feeling it. Like someone else said, it feels like vice grips for a while (maybe half a minute).

Also, I'm hot, too! Yesterday I noticed that my skin was cold, but I didn't feel cold on the inside. So far, not cold yet.

#227 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM

I don't feel my let down at all, and I'm not leaky. Emmett's latch isn't great either, which is causing pain on my right side. But he is going through tons of diapers, so he's getting what he needs. I'm considering hiring a lactation consultant though. It's annoying because I have helped moms with these exact problems, but I can't seem to help myself! Ugh!.

#228 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
ForestLover, I say it a bunch on this forum, but a fresh set of eyes is so helpful.

FWIW, none of my babies have had a great latch but I wasn't in pain and for the most part, they did well. I think some of it is anatomical on my part because all three prefer the same breast (to the point where it is about a cup size bigger). That being said, when I did have nursing struggles the IBLC was worth her weight in gold.
#229 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Saw the IBCLC and she was amazing. She latched him onto the injured nipple and once I got through the initial toe curling pain, it was a beautiful nursing session. I knew what a proper latch should look like but I didn't know how to get him to latch properly and she showed me how! And he's 4 oz above birth weight apparently! So I'm very happy. Yay.

jodieanneanton and Valerie11 like this.

June 18th, 2014

#230 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I <3 IBCLCs!!!

I wish I could be one... But they changed the requirements for becoming one and now it is out of my reach. Can't do much with an English degree!

Bren, I am so glad you had a good meeting with the IBCLC! I hope things continue to go smoothly!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#231 of 233 Old 03-15-2015, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Payton gets a bit gassy, too. But, for us it is due to my over active let down. If your baby chokes at all on your milk or comes off because s/he can't handle the flow and your milk squirts across the room, you can be experiencing an over active let down. If your baby spits up a lot, this is another sign. Three babies later, I finally have the hang of dealing with it. There a positions that are better (like you laying back and baby laying face down - sort of) that work against gravity so that the flow is slower and then baby is not guzzling so fast to keep up and getting a lot of air in the process. Payton is no where near the spitter my first born was when I had no clue. And while she is gaining well (2 lb 2 oz over her birth we eight at her 1 month appointment) she is not gaining a pound a week as my second did - high weight gain is a sign you may have oversupply which often accompanies over active letdown. My second guzzled every drop and had the Michelin Man build to show for it.

Payton actually gets burped - never thought much about it before. Lol! And, like the others, only nurses from one breast per session and continues to nurse from the same breast if she just wants to comfort nurse to make sure she isn't getting just the foremilk which can happen if I let her bounce back and forth between breasts. And I also don't drink Mother's Mikk tea or eat oatmeal every day. Once I have to pump regularly, but, for now, no. Oversupply can cause problems just like under supply can. Because, of course, mastitis and thrush (which I had with my first) are more common when too much milk is flowing.

Sorry for the novel, but, hopefully it helps someone.

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#232 of 233 Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 PM

@honeybunmom YES. I'm thinking even more now that I have overactive let down, at least in one breast. I have a TON of milk and leak constantly. He struggles to keep up and gulps a lot when I'm feeding him. We've started laying back to eat now and it's a little better. He's gaining really fast too, he's already 4oz over his birth weight at 1 week old. The LC was shocked. I hope it's okay that he's gaining so fast...

June 18th, 2014

#233 of 233 Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
@bren94 I don't think there is an issue with gaining fast. Plus, my porky pig finally leveled out. He's about to be 6 at the end of the month and has been in 7's for a while, but he is just tall, not overweight. My 9 lb starter is a skinny mini, now, too at 9.5. And Miss Payton gaine 4 oz in less than 24 hours. She was in for a check up 3 days after she was born and we were ordered back the next day. My milk came in that night and she was up 4oz the following afternoon. The pedi vowed not to bug me about her weight again. Anyhoo, from your other posts it sounds like you may not want to do what I am about to suggest - when the milk starts to flow fast, break his latch and compress your breast with a burp cloth until the fast flow subsides and then relatch him. That will cut down on any struggle to keep up with the flow and gassiness that may accompany that.

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page