Post Partum Thread - Mothering Forums
 38Likes

#1 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Post Partum Thread

I figured we had enough babies here to start this

I'm 3 days out and, as always, a mess. Weepy, emotional, all over the charts.

Breastfeeding is going badly and I am so disappointed and frustrated. I was really hoping it would be different this time. The babies lower jaw is recessed like my last babies (although his lips are normal... just thin) and I am guessing that is the cause of the pain and slowly evolving nipple damage. His latch looks right on the outside, but it's hurting pretty badly when he eats. Every now and then I get a good feeding where it doesn't hurt as much, but that's few and far between. And he fights me! Ugh. It's just miserable.

He is ORANGE even though his bili numbers weren't too high (8.7). Trying to keep him near a window from time to time.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
: Sorry to hear you're having trouble breastfeeding, cagnew. Is it possible he has a tongue tie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
cagnew, I found out when I went to get the free breastpump that my insurance now covers lactation consultants (part of the ACA/Obamacare). I have never used one, but if I had problems that lasted for more than a day or so, I wouldn't hesitate to consult with one. Maybe that could help you figure out if there's something simple that you could change to make it work better. I know my boys are never as good at latching as my girl was, but it's just all babies are different.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!

#4 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I met with three different LC at the hospital and they were helpful. They checked for tongue tie and said he was fine. Maybe I just need to be pickier about his latch since i know he is capable of getting a good one. I just fed him just now and it hardly hurt at all.... I hate the football hold and that is what I was trying to do per the LC advice, but this last time I did cross-cradle and re-latched him twice (ouch!) and seemed to find the magic spot. Hope I can find it again!
gabeyho likes this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#5 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am so sorry you are having trouble with nursing. I would definitely consult a lactation consultant or, if you have a group in your area, La Leche League is also really helpful and the leaders are there for you. Are you making sure you are getting his mouth open really wide and putting the nipple all the way in his mouth? I'm sure you know that, but it's always the first mistake I make at the beginning and what causes me the most pain.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#6 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
@cagnew , I'm popping in from July - congrats on your beautiful baby!

I wanted to mention that tongue tie/lip tie can often be overlooked, even by LCs and pediatricians. There's a FB support group with lots of photos - and you can post a photo of your baby's tongue (underneath) and lip for opinions. There are often doctors who respond on the page. You can also ask for recommendations in your area:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

Hugs, mama.
forestlover75 likes this.

Mama
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#7 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Dr Kotlow is kind of "the" tongue/lip tie expert, and his office will analyze a photo for free. Posterior ties are easy to miss, but also hard to correct if that's what it is.

I hope it's all just the newborn learning curve and that it resolves soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Breastfeeding my son was a nightmare for the first month. Cracked bleeding nipples. Found out my breast tissue is just to dense for newborns to pull out enough to get a proper latch. I have to use a nipple shouldfor the first month or two . Maybe give a nipple shield a shot. I know they aren't ideal. I was super hesitant this time around but once I started getting sores on my nipples from poor latch I gave in. Giving her my milk iswwhat'sbest . Even if I have to get it to her in ways I'm not fond of. And its only for a bit. And hey getting told my boobs are just to firm isn't a bad thing. Considering I'm a very full D cup and have already fed a baby for a year with them. Haha
#9 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

cowchick: I'm sorry to hear about the first month! It's so hard, isn't it? I would use a breastshield if I had to, because breastmilk is better than any other option. I've had a couple good latches today, so I have hope. My mom suggested that maybe his jaundice is making him sleepy and he is being lazy.

Anyone else feel apprehensive about the first BM? My stomach is so gassy and crampy and I know it's trying to get things moving. Last time I somehow ended up with an anal fissure that SUCKED. Haha.

Despite all the issues, I am glad he is here

#10 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM

I was talking about when I had my son. My daughter is only 10 days new and This time breastfeeding is so much easier. Although its still not easy if that makes sense. And yes sleepy babies have a lazy latch, that may be whats going on.

As for the first BM. I was terrified. But not as terrified as I was after my first baby.. I had a 3rd degree tear the first time. This time I had a 2nd degree tear. So I was a little less fearful. im also on stool softeners so that helps.
#11 of 233 Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We had jaundice here too. I came close to leaving the hospital AMA over it. She was 12.2 at discharge, but my milk hadn't come in yet, so I expected her to be jaundiced. She was acting normal - not lethargic. Finally convinced them to discharge us. Then Sarah's doctor wanted us to get tested again Monday, which got pushed to Tuesday. It was 13.6, so higher than Saturday at discharge. So she had us do another test Thursday. This time it was 11. So I'm sure it peaked between Saturday and Tuesday, then came down. No more tests needed. I was never concerned, as my other 37 weekers had jaundice that went away with sun and nursing. Same went for this one.

We had our first weight check today... At birth, she was 7 lbs even. At discharge, she was 6 lbs 8 oz. Today at 11 days old, she was 7 lbs 6oz! She's obviously getting plenty of milk.

I'm doing better in the weepy department. Last week, I was crying over everything. One night, I got in bed and just started crying. My husband came in, and I told him I was crying for no reason. Deposit, I couldn't think of anything that I was crying about. My body just need to cry. This week has been better so far. I've cried a couple little times, but that's it. Gotta love postpartum hormones!
#12 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Breastfeeding is no easy task. DD1 was so voracious we called her Breast Wolf because she'd let out a growl as she latched and she'd kick the nursing cover around. DD2 started well, then went through a scary nursing strike. I had to pump to keep myself engorged or she just wouldn't nurse. She wouldn't take expressed milk and I literally had hundreds of bags to donate. I'm carefully watching DS because I have learned the baby is an equal contributor to the nursing relationship. My hope is he is in the middle of his sisters' extremes. And I'd like to donate a little milk this time, too.
#13 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Post Partum Thread

@cagnew , still preggo here but dropping in to see how you postpartum ladies are doing. So sorry breastfeeding is hurting so bad.

I wonder if there is a well recommended lactation consultant you can reach out to in your area? I have had hit and miss luck referring to hospital or la Leche for this stuff. It's a vulnerable time and you need someone who is very good at what they do, and sensitive to you.

First, The fact that you have had a few good latches is a VERY good sign. Let that reassure you, and (hard as it is) don't just let it go when the latch is painful. Deep breaths, remember baby's learning and can do this (just like you did birth). Take him off and start again, nose to nipple, bringing his body in as he opens wide. Avoid pushing his head, I find this can create resistance and a tendency in infants to clamp down and pull back on the nipple (ouch).

If you need to pump a couple minutes before feedings so there's let down, that sometimes helps a frustrated, hungry, sleepy baby and can make the feeding more efficient. Also, you can use a little dropper to offer some pumped milk and ensure he's getting some nourishment, as a poor latch can result in less milk, and a sleepier baby who doesn't latch as well, who is initially fussy, then sleepy. Sometimes droppering some milk on your breast so it rolls down to your nipple can help baby get motivated.

I caution the use of breast shields , which are really only indicated in cases of flat or inverted nipples. They reduce milk production and can lead to the same issues as nipple confusion, which can lead to additional problems down the road. If you have serious damage, they can be used very short term , with a plan for how you will stop using them, how you will increase production and how baby will get additional milk.

I hope this is in some way helpful and not overwhelming at such a challenging time. Wish I lived close so I could offer you hands on support. And I hope you can get someone in there who can offer you some help. Hang in there! Hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM

So, let's hear it: what do you LOVE about your postpartum body? What are you surprised by?

I love my boobs. This is the only time they'll be over an A cup.

I'm a weirdo-- I love seeing my belly shrink. I think it is awesome how we slowly expand over 9ish months and rapidly shrink back. I'm not ashamed of this jelly belly phase.

I'm surprised that I still move like I'm pregnant, as in I assume I can't pick anything up off the floor. And I'm nervous to lay flat on my back or stomach.
#15 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I like wearing regular clothes and not worrying about it pushing my bladder... and laying on my back.

I hate my boobs. One is rocky and the other one is just sore. The sheer unevenness is always annoying. Stupid super boob!

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#16 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Super boob! Lol! I have a lumpy boob and I hate it. The OB has never seen anything like it but assumed it's just dilated milk ducts or something. My areola looks like it has small grapes underneath it.

Love about pp body... nothing yet. IN a week or two, when things start to normalize, I will be thrilled! Right now, I feel crummy and sore and like everything in my tummy is all out of order.

As far as breastfeeding is going... I have enacted the same survival plan I had with my last. I'm nursing half the time and pumping the other half (and giving him the milk in a bottle). I am pretty sure that once my milk comes in fully (it started today) things will improve. As of now, my breasts are hard and full but not a whole lot is coming out. Because they are so big and my nipples so small, it's hard for him to latch. He starts to attempt a latch and then he gets pissed when nothing comes out right away. He's kind of been on a nursing strike. I fed him a bottle of pumped milk this morning and drank it up and fell asleep, nice and relaxed. This after a horrible night of screaming and crying and gas.

I expect my milk will fully let down tomorrow. I will pump to soften it up and then latch him. Hopefully, we will be able to get down to some serious business working on things.

Today was a "wet day" as someone called it another thread. Lots of crying on my part. I've got a bad case of the baby blues this time around. DH goes back to work on Thursday and I'll be on my own with the 5 kids.... I just feel overwhelmed.

Physically, I feel pretty bad. I think I'm doing too much. My crotch has that falling out feeling. I've had a gas pain in my side for two days and other discomfort in my lower abdomen. I haven't pooped yet, so that might be what's going on. Sent DH to the store this evening for prune juice and stool softeners.

On a more positive note- the baby totally flashed us a coupe smiles last night! I know they say it's only gas, but he didn't pass any (at that time) and it was a huge grin! I don't care what the reason for it! My heart melted!!!! All this awful postpartum stuff is so worth it.

#17 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

@forestlover75 I am not a fan of breastshields at all. I know there is a time and place for them, but they have not been good to me. With my first baby, I was having a hard time and I asked a nurse for help. She told me I had flat nipples and gave me a shield. I struggled with that thing for a few days and gave up. It was messy, it always fell off, and it hurt. The baby wouldn't latch onto me at all after the shield was introduced. In the end, I gave up breastfeeding altogether.

I tried a shield again with my last baby and that lasted about a day, lol. My areolas are really big and my nipples are small, and this combo makes the shield hard to use.

That being said, I know people who have used them for a short time and found them to be a big help.

#18 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM

@cagnew , I would try an enema if I were in your position. I remember kind of freaking out after my last child because I hadn't gone for a few days and that helped a lot. I think that was the first one I ever used. Didn't even know about them with the first two kids. Now I feel this great relief that enemas are always there as an option as long as you don't use them for normal BMs, just for when it starts to stress you out that you're not going.

#19 of 233 Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Yep. Boobs are great!!! Haha. My tummy shrank fast. But of course it's still like a waterbed.

I'm most surprised by how much I don't really care about my body being won't this time around. I know I'm able to lose the weight. So its not even something I really think about. Which is nice! I stressed over it last time...

Still a bit weepy. Not to to bad. I'mso sentimental that its easy for someone to say something and me start crying . For instance my nurses from the hospital sent me a card and said some very nice things.. It made me cry.
#20 of 233 Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

@Valerie11 Yeah, I am definitely considering the enema route. I have a couple in my bathroom Just have to build up the courage to use one
Valerie11 likes this.

#21 of 233 Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, CRAP. My survival plan for nursing has apparently backfired With my last baby, I was able to switch back and forth from the breast to the bottle with no problem. Not with this kid. He has refused to latch all day long. He immediately screams and flails around as soon as I try to put him up there

I really, really want to give up on this. I feel like I am pumping all day long (though I am not) and I hate it. We have a double electric pump coming but I just feel... depressed. And tired. Im sick of thinking about my boobs.

#22 of 233 Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Oh! I'm so sorry Might be a good time to try nipple shields since they are more rubber nipple like. Then when you switch sides you can try to not use it and maybe he'll be more settled? Sending hugs

#23 of 233 Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM

So when I weaned my first from the nipple shield I would start the feeding with the shield on. And after he wasn'tso hungry I would take it off and then re latch him.. You could give that a try.??
#24 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Hugs, Cagnew.
#25 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM

This hospital is serious about breastfeeding. They even offer donor milk before formula if the mom doesn't have a serious preference. I think that's great. But they also don't really push pacifiers. So we had to bring one from home.

This kid is latching sometimes, like when he's very frustrated, but for the most part he isn't hungry. He just wants to suck. I was sticking my pinky finger in his mouth and he loved that, so now he has a pacifier and it's working out great. I don't think it will confuse things, I have given all of my children pacifiers and still breastfed just fine. I am just waiting for him to be hungry and for the breastmilk to come in. He seems to like the smell of colostrum, so that's a good sign, but he's just never hungry enough to feed. Granted, he's not even 24 hours old just yet.
@cagnew , I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. I may be going through that shortly, I'm not sure. So far, I've put off pumping while at the hospital because his blood sugar levels keep coming back normal. But who knows what things will be like at home. He latches maybe 20% of the time I've tried to feed him. The other 80% is him not being serious about it and making lots of sucking noises that don't amount to anything. And then screaming because the real problem is that he has gas, not that he's hungry.

#26 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM

So I went grocery shopping yesterday. 13 days after giving birth. Not a good idea. I over did myself that's for sure. My tummy muscles hurt. And my hips hurt. The cart was just to much to push around. I didn't bring one bag in from the truck when I got home. And I had DH just put them on the kitchen floor and I put the cold stuff away. But everything else sat on the kitchen floor for hours.. oops
My fault. I insisted on going. And going alone. I refuse to take the baby to our local Walmart. As I used to work there so everyone is dying to see her. To many germs. So I'm holding out on taking her anywhere that public. She has been to the pediatrician twice and tomorrow my son has open ceremonies for little league. So that will be her first actual outing. I did read that if you wear your baby, people are less likely to try and touch them. So in the moby she will go. But DH already told me he would take care of telling people to keep their hands to themselves. I'm usually the blunt person. So its nice for him to take that roll!

I'm all for pacifiers. Both of my babies have been comfort nursers. So yay for binkys.
#27 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Cowchick, I hope resting will help you recover to your pre-shopping state. I had t do that with my 2 and I more or less hung on the cart by the end.

I was stir crazy and it is too chilly for a walk so we went to the aquarium. I totally should have stayed home. I aggravated my nether regions to the max. I love my sitz bath more each day!

I don't know if it is hormonal or what but I'm worried about nursing. He finally hit three stools today, but he went a good 12 hours between. How quickly he slowed down made me nervous.

I had over supply with my first, low with my second. I'm cautious by nature but I think my nursing experience with DD2 has made me gun shy because it was at 3 weeks she started having red flags.

Last edited by DuchessTergie; 02-13-2015 at 03:38 PM.
#28 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I went to Target yesterday... three separate times... and that knocked me the heck OUT. I have not done a blessed thing today (oh, I folded seven cloth diapers? does that count?) and am just now starting to feel human again. Yeesh.

Three times in a row at Target, you say? My, that woman sure does love her Target... Yeah, no, I went to buy a breast pump. Then I went to a second store to pick up an identical breast pump that cost $50 less because I bought it online (...seriously?!), and return the more expensive store purchase; then I went BACK to the first store because you can't do an in-store return at a different location less than 24 hours after purchase. The nice young lady at the counter of Target #2 is awesome forever in my book, because when she had explained the 24-hour return policy and my fed-up self had responded, "Well, THAT'S really #*[email protected] stupid," she didn't miss a beat--just nodded and said, "Yep."

I am also doing the pump thing. Our ped seems a little overly conservative about Yoshiko's weight gain, honestly; she was 9 pounds at birth, and by Tuesday, she was 8 pounds, 4 ounces. They told me at that visit to wake her for nursing every two hours during the day, and every three hours at night, which is actually quite a chore, because this child can SLEEP. On Thursday, she had gained half an ounce, but that didn't really reassure the pediatrician and she told me to start pumping after every feed. So yesterday's and today's schedule have gone something like feed baby, set up to pump, attempt to rouse baby for bottle, mostly fail at bottle, eventually get child to accept bottle, hey look at that it's pretty much time for another breastfeed.

I really do not like pumping, y'all. Especially when the baby's right there in front of me. Especially when the baby's actually halfway decent at nursing and just has a tendency to drift into comfort sucking. :/

Also, if my husband makes his smug "Oooh, nursing is so haaaard" joke one more time I'm going to slap him. He means it to say that it's obviously going really easily for us and everything is fine, but you know what, this stuff is FRAUGHT, so... maybe take it easy on the "It's totally cool and everyone who struggles is silly" jokes right now?? Ay yi yi.

Cagnew, I really hope today has been better for you. Did the pump arrive yet? I'm praying that a double electric will at least cut some of your pumping time out. Even more, though, I'm really hoping that he has been able to latch again. It's so, so frustrating when the latch is hard. I'm really sorry yesterday was so rough.

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.
#29 of 233 Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I went to return some girl clothes I had bought and did a little shopping, and my crotch felt like it was going to fall out by the time I left- and I wasn't there all that long. I rested a lot today.

Today was a better day. He still won't latch even though I tried skin to skin and nursing while sleepy. I tried the nipple shield too, but it won't stay on. My areola's are really big and bumpy and the shield just won't stay, even with lanolin on it. Plus, he freaked out when he out his mouth on it. Little stinker

I realized today that I need to move on for now. DH and the kids need me to move on. Heck, I need me to move on! So, for now, I am going to stop trying to nurse and just start formulating my plan to exclusively pump. I will make it work! Lots of women do it. I'm looking for an internet support group, though I haven't found one that is very active.

My pump is ordered so it should be here next week. I've never had a supply issue, thank goodness! I'm hoping I will be able to use the electric pump so it cuts my time in half.

I do plan to attempt to nurse again down the road. Just try. I'm also going to find a pediatric chiropractor for him. Perhaps a good adjustment would help him somehow.

DH has been doing a ot of the night time duty and it is wearing on him, so tonight I told him I would take the whole night so he can sleep. Joshua is sleeping now so I better get to sleep before he wakes up again to eat. Plus, I really need to make myself pump at least once during the night I guess. Technically, they say I should be pumping every 3 hours at least, but my supply is good so I haven't done that. Now that I am getting serious about, however, I will be trying to do it more.

#30 of 233 Old 02-14-2015, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I love diligence ladies. Mommies who exclusively pump have my deepest respects. I can't stand pumping.

I think I did too much today and had some awesome bleeding and that crotch falling feeling. I didn't realize walking could do that. I went to a couple stores to get onsies and hats cause I apparently didn't think I needed them before ...

I love whoever said the other day "I'm just tired of thinking about my boobs..." This about sums me up. My kid has a fantastic latch and I barely have any cracking but my nipples are on fire and I'm sick of it!

Big move day is in one week... Hopefully I can keep myself in check and not overdo it before my flight. I should start some preemptive elderberry/vit c stuff.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page