Breastfeeding - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 11Likes

#31 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Mama, do what you have to do! I think your willingness to comfort nurse is so loving, especially since it is (was) painful. Nursing is beautiful but it isn't the be-all-end-all of your motherhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
First use warm washcloth compress, then, while pumping massage the lump from the outer edge of your breast in all the way to your nipple. If it's a plugged duct, it will eventually release the plug (kind of like when paint or glue gets stuck in the tip of the bottle). If the lump doesn't go away I'd get seen by your care provider to rule out early mastitis. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#33 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I'm devastated you guys. My nipples are so useless. I saw the hospital LC today and she tried everything before giving me a nipple shield. I used it on my own and had an amazing feeding and finally felt like I had fully satisfied the baby. He woke up to eat again and my nipples just couldn't take it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I will be devastated if I can't nurse him. Im at a total loss and these hormones aren't helping

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#34 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DDC here. Bren - Please consider seeing an IBCLC! They are much more knowledgeable than the hospital LCs (most are NOT IBCLCs). Have your little one checked thoroughly for a tongue or lip tie. Pediatricians are not known for being great at finding them. Same as hospital LCs. The posterior tongue tie can be elusive, but very disruptive to a good latch!
Valerie11 likes this.
#35 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I agree with Green Mama. My insurance specifically only covers IBCLCs, not just any LC, so you might check into that.

Also, if you can, take pain killers. Those saved my life for a week to a week and a half after the birth. Especially the nipple pain (which lasted longer than other pains) and now I have no pain anymore. But that first week and a half was killer.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#36 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM

Breastfeeding

What do I do in the mean time and what is the cost of that? I can't even feed him right now it hurts too bad. He hasn't pooped today and he's rooting like crazy. I don't know what to do because he's literally just chewing on my nipple. She got him to latch perfectly twice and as soon as she left he went back to the chewing. I have to feed him I don't know what to do.

June 18th, 2014

#37 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I'm devastated you guys. My nipples are so useless. I saw the hospital LC today and she tried everything before giving me a nipple shield. I used it on my own and had an amazing feeding and finally felt like I had fully satisfied the baby. He woke up to eat again and my nipples just couldn't take it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I will be devastated if I can't nurse him. Im at a total loss and these hormones aren't helping

Hang in there mama. I know how hard it is, but realize that a lot of women have struggles with breastfeeding and it doesn't make you a bad mom. Due to my PCOS I only produce about an ounce between both breasts every time I feed my baby so she could not gain weight from just breastfeeding.

I also highly agree with seeing an IBCLC as they can give you more ideas/suggestions. It could be something that is easily fixed like a tongue tie. Seeing one gave me the peace to make the best decision.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#38 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I second what everyone said about finding an expert and having the baby checked for lip tie or tongue tie.

But...I want to add...if you don't end up breastfeeding for some reason, you are not a failure or a bad mom. Your child is not going to hate you or be unhealthy his whole life. He will be fine. Something I have learned this time around is that every baby and every situation is different. I've nursed three babies. The last one sucked but I pushed through the pain and did it anyway. This time I couldn't do it. I didn't have it in me. Pushing through the pain wasn't good for us this time. It's stinks. We all know breast is best...but it's not the only way. I don't feel like a failure at all at this point. I feel like I tried to nurse, assessed the situation, and made an appropriate decision for me and the baby and DH. Next baby might be different- I might be in a good mental place and situation to push through the pain and nurse.

Hang in there! Breastfeeding IS hard and early difficulties and pain seem to be the norm (even though all the literature and many advocates make it sound like its so simple).

And postpartum hormones are the devil. Eventually they will even out and you will feel human again.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#39 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Has your milk come in yet @bren94 ?

Me & him
, and at long last, little Lincoln
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#40 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I remember with my first that is took a good week or two for my nipples to protrude the way they should, and to not be sore and to learn to give a better latch. It should help when your milk comes in, which I'm assuming it hasn't yet? Babies are a little hungry until your milk comes in, colostrum just doesn't fill their tummies. You will learn how to get him on better, he will learn to latch better, and it will all come together. And definitely check about the tongue tie, just to be on the safe side. I have no experience with that, but I if its a possible issue then you need to know asap.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#41 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been a long emotional day and Im lucky to have a baby who is a total saint and so patient with me. I pumped about 5 ml of colostrum from one side for him and while I was pumping he pooped which was a hallelujah moment. Pumping was more painful than his shallow latch so I decided to just go ahead and try to nurse through the pain. I guess it's just hard and scary not knowing if he's eating enough. The nurses here are treating it like its no biggie which at first infuriated me but now is reassuring me that my baby is going to be fine and so am I. Thanks for all the advice, I'll try to meet with an IBCLC.

jodieanneanton likes this.

June 18th, 2014

#42 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

@bren94 , it does hurt a lot once you've had a couple of bad latches (my babe is tugging on a damaged nipple as I type and it is still a bit uncomfortable even with a good latch because nipples take time to heal). The key is unlatching him without further damaging your nipples and trying again until you get a better latch. Remember, you are helping him learn right now and it can take time. Try not to let discouraging thought take over - this part won't last forever. Promise. I totally agree about and IBCLC. Consider how much money breastfeeding will save you in the long run when you make the investment.

#43 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

It's nearly 10am here and my boy has been nursing pretty much nonstop since my last post 7 hours ago. We are both SO TIRED!

#44 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM

@forestlover75 Oh my gosh your poor boobies!! I couldn't do it! I consider it a huge accomplishment to give him 30 minutes on each side and thank goodness that seems to be enough.

Speaking of accomplishments I successfully nursed him into a sound sleep last night, so I'm really happy. My nipples are sore but getting tougher. And it looks like I'm getting more milky liquid so hopefully things continue today and keep getting easier!

forestlover75 likes this.

June 18th, 2014

#45 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Still going... Like the energizer bunny, he keeps going, and going...and going!

#46 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
@forestlover75 Oh my gosh your poor boobies!! I couldn't do it! I consider it a huge accomplishment to give him 30 minutes on each side and thank goodness that seems to be enough.

Speaking of accomplishments I successfully nursed him into a sound sleep last night, so I'm really happy. My nipples are sore but getting tougher. And it looks like I'm getting more milky liquid so hopefully things continue today and keep getting easier!

Hi Bren,
popping in from May DDC, but wanted to tell you that I worried quite a bit about my first baby getting enough milk the first couple days too. My nipples also were inverted and it took about 3 days before I felt like I knew what I was doing. She never nursed more than 10-15 mins a feeding overall and I ended up only nursing her on one side each feeding after awhile. As I just had so much milk, one side was plenty for her. I got tons of it and you could hear her swallowing and gulping to keep up with it!! She also nursed every 3 hrs or so.
My last baby, a boy nursed every 2 hrs round the clock for years or so it seemed. Although not for hrs at a time, his feedings were probably 20-30 mins, I'm not sure...he was my biggest baby at almost 9 lbs.
You are a great mama I can tell hang in there!

I'm getting so anxious to meet mine, I love popping in and reading about all your babies over here!!

#47 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 AM

@RonnaLeigh that's sounds almost identical to our dynamic. I think (hope) I'm making lots of milk because with each feeding he seems to be getting fuller faster and he also gulps a lot. Just now he finished one side and fell asleep instead of rooting for the other. This is really reassuring to hear a relationship similar to ours and to know that it worked out and things were fine. Thank you!!

RonnaLeigh likes this.

June 18th, 2014

#48 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 03:03 PM

ForestLover, are you hearing some good gulping/swallowing sounds? He's nursing like he's getting paid! If his diaper count is good and you're hearing good sounds that is reassuring. A 7 hour nursing sounds exhausting.
#49 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, he's gulping and peeing and pooping above and beyond the recommended daily expectation - he had gained weight at his 1 week check up. He hasn't nursed seven hours straight, but since yesterday has been nursing for up to an hour each time and then again 20 minutes to an hour later - ad infinitum. He's not getting overfull and throwing up or being gassy, or fussy- he's just contently breast-feeding. All the time. My philosophy is to feed on demand. So I don't let him complain much before I offer him the breast. It's tiring, but I believe it's worth it in the long run! I

#50 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM

My boobs were pacifiers with my first, too. I was imagining 7 hours of unending nursing!
#51 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 PM

I have mostly had babies who only ever needed to nurse on one side at least 80% of the time. I wouldn't worry so much about that, and only pay attention to whether or not they seem satisfied. If they are happy, sleeping, peeing, pooping, then all is well. For me, it's usually when they are getting onto a growth spurt that they want to nurse on both sides or constantly for a week or two. If I'm remembering correctly the growth spurts are around two weeks, six weeks, and....? I'll have to look it up, I haven't picked up my la Leche league book in years!

#52 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
My boobs were pacifiers with my first, too. I was imagining 7 hours of unending nursing!

Yeah, it's been more like 20 hours total of intermittent nursing in the last 24 hours!

#53 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 06:38 PM

Liam has been nursing quite a bit today and from what I can tell he is getting plenty of milk. My nipple shield is always covered in milk and he's spit some out so I'm sure he's getting it. But he hasn't pooped since last night. It was that dark green transitional poop. Now the most I've seen are little spots of dark yellow poop in his diapers. They look like he had a wet fart basically. He's had lots of wet diapers but I'm worried about the no poop :/

June 18th, 2014

#54 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I would be more worried about the wet diaper aspect than the poop. Mention it to your pediatrician when you go in for your appointment tomorrow morning if he still hasn't pooped but I bet you he will by then. My little one does that sometimes and then ends up having a bunch of blow outs in a row.. fair warning.

I did breastfeeding with my little one today.. I missed it terribly.. but it was pretty painful and she was definitely still hungry afterwards. i don't feel like my supply is increasing at all.. it sucks to spend so much time pumping just to give her breast milk in such a small portion.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#55 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 PM

@bren94 it is really common for breastfed newborns to not poop for a day or two then let it all out one day in several very full diapers in a row, like @alivewithyou just mentioned. This has been my experience with all six of my babies so far.

#56 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM

And he pooped! Yay! Im sorry @alivewithyou any amount of breast milk is so good for her though!

gabeyho likes this.

June 18th, 2014

#57 of 72 Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mine didn't poop AND had scant wet diapers day 2-3. I was really worried. Now he's peeing every hour and pooping every 2 hours! So. Many. Diapers!

gabeyho likes this.

#58 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 05:33 AM

Liam went two 4 hour stretches of sleep last night. I actually had to wake him up at one point which is weird for my super voracious eater. We aren't on a schedule, I'm just breastfeeding on demand so I was relying on him waking me up to eat but now I guess I need to set an alarm just in case. Has anyone else's baby gone that long between feelings?

June 18th, 2014

#59 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

See if it was a fluke. If he continues to be sleepy, I'd suggest waking him every 2-3 hrs during the day, but let it go at night unless he is having significantly fewer wet diapers. Emmett had one 4 hour stretch.

#60 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Your most important indicator for feeding is wet diapers. Second is baby's ability to nurse without falling asleep. If all is good, and he's still sleeping long stretches, lucky I you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page