Breastfeeding - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
 11Likes

#61 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Hmm, well he has lots of wet diapers but he's a super sleepy nurser. I usually have to wake him up a couple of times toward the end of a session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Let him sleep! I am envious of you! Wish mine would sleep!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#63 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM

@cagnew I know I know! I got such a good nights sleep but I just thought no way that could be normal at 4 days old! Guess I should just enjoy it...

June 18th, 2014

#64 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
We had similar long stretches in the first week. It didn't last...

Me & him
, and at long last, little Lincoln
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#65 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
My daughter was like that. She would just sleep and sleep all night for 4-5 hours at a time when I first brought her home. I can't remember if it lasted or not. That's the wonderment of babies. You forget most everything that happened and when/if you have another one, it's new to you all over again, but with faint little memories sneaking back in to remind you of things you forgot. Unless you write everything down or have a super memory, but that's not me.
gabeyho likes this.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#66 of 72 Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Let him sleep! I am envious of you! Wish mine would sleep!

Agreed! We also had some good nights in the first week. Enjoy it, but don't get too comfortable...

#67 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM

I'm feeling so much guilt right now. Everything was going fine this morning then we went to lunch and when we got back I went to feed him on my right breast (which has been a little engorged and is also severely cracked from our first couple days of breastfeeding) and it hurt SO bad. I mean I wanted to cry. It's always painful on that side but once I get through about a minute the pain usually subsides. This time it didn't so I unlatched him and bloody milk dripped out of his mouth and filled my nipple shield. It was dark red too, not just a little pink. So I switched him the the other breast and he finished on that side and was still super hungry but I'm traumatized. I can't use my right breast it hurts so bad. He was screaming and rooting and I felt so terrible for him so I broke down and made him a bottle with some supplemental formula. He didn't seem to like it but he ate and is content now but I feel like I just destroyed our breastfeeding relationship. Plus now I'm engorged and in pain. Breastfeeding is so important to me. I'm meeting with an IBCLC tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do in the mean time. Can I hold off breastfeeding til then or will it mess up my supply? I can't stop crying I just feel so guilty and upset that my body feels like it's failing me and my baby.

June 18th, 2014

#68 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I'm meeting with an IBCLC tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do in the mean time. Can I hold off breastfeeding til then or will it mess up my supply?
I'm not sure what to do until your IBCLC gets there, but I do know that one day of not using that breast will not stop your supply. As long as you are lactating even a little bit, you can always rebuild the amount. I'm sorry that you're going through this, and I hope you get some better guidance tomorrow.

#69 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Oh, and btw, even years after I have quit breastfeeding, I could always make a little bit of milk come out if I worked hard enough on squeezing my breasts/nipples. I just thought it was so neat that I could do that, years after 'quitting'.

#70 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Breastfeeding

@bren94 , so sorry you're in so much pain! First, you have nothing to feel guilty about. You and your baby are learning. It's a process. And you're doing everything you can. Take some deep breaths and focus on all the things that are working right now - there are so many! Giving him a bottle is not the end of the world and like Valerie said, you can build your milk supply back up. The bigger concern right now, is that if you don't drain the breast you could risk getting a plugged duct or mastitis. So, you may need to pump even if it's just a little bit, to take the edge off that breast. In the meantime, just go ahead and feed your baby on one breast. This is the time when the baby's building up your milk supply anyway, so it's normal for them to be frantic and want to nurse all the time. And speaking from my own experience, I have left the house only once since giving birth to weeks ago to walk to the end of the block and back for my sanity! I would highly suggest that you let yourself have a babymoon so you can stay home and just focus on what you need to do for your body and your baby.
Hang in there, it will get better. So glad you're seeing the lactation consultant tomorrow! Also, you might want to call your care provider and ask what they think you should do.

Last edited by forestlover75; 03-13-2015 at 04:31 PM.
#71 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Ditto to what others have said - neither the supplementing nor nursing on one side is going to hurt anything long term. Short term, you just need to make sure you empty the injured side, either pumping or hand expressing. Hand expressing, if you can get the hang of it, will be more gentle on the hurt nipple. A heating pad or rice sock before you express will help get things flowing. It's a juggling act, but you can try to express the hurt side while you nurse the other side, that way you're using the baby to get a good letdown going.

Sorry you're in pain, hopefully the LC will have some guidance!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#72 of 72 Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM

Breastfeeding

Ok I used a rice sock and was able to hand express 15 ml. Not much but I feel a million times better and hopefully I can just keep doing that until tomorrow. I'm praying this LC can help me but I feel like she'd have to be a miracle worker to do so.

Eta: second round of hand expression got me 30 ml! Yay!

jodieanneanton likes this.

June 18th, 2014

Last edited by bren94; 03-13-2015 at 10:32 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page