Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
 11Likes

#1 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Breastfeeding

Apparently it's going well for us. Baby has maintained birthweight at 3 day check in with our midwives. But this little guy literally nurses constantly. Is it possible he could be nursing too often???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Not as far as I can tell. I've been told they will nurse a lot or cluster feed to increase the milk supply. Does he settle after feeding? Even for a short while?

Me & him
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and at long last, little Lincoln
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#3 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, he settles. But not for long. Then he's ready to nurse again!

#4 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Nursing constantly = totally normal

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#5 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Yep, sounds like my guy!

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#6 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Yep! Sounds like the early days to me!!

It'll slow down a little soon... You will still feel like you are constantly nursing, though!!!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#7 of 72 Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Holy cow! It's intense. Last night we nursed from 9pm to 1am. This afternoon from 12-4 and now it's 12 am and he's been going since 10pm. And this is all in addition to other, less marathon like feedings. I won't complain though, he has a good latch and my milk supply is sufficient. Praise be for that.

#8 of 72 Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I remember with my first, I commented to my midwife at a postpartum visit that it seemed like the baby was nursing ALL the time and she laughed and said they didn't even bother telling new moms what it would be like because they just wouldn't believe it! New babies nurse soooo much!
#9 of 72 Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My son was like that. Had me close to tears several nights. This little one apparently knows what her mama has been through and is giving me a break all around! She's a good nursing, but not nearly the constant Hoover her big brother was (thank goodness!)

How're your nipples doing?

In any event, welcome to motherhood with a nursing!

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#10 of 72 Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Breastfeeding

My nipples are mighty resilient, considering. I have a milk blister on my right nipple, which is intensely painful. Soaking it in Epsom salt and hoping it will draw the pore open. I have definitely had some exasperated tears, mostly when I've been trying to manage without my husband's help all night and am exhausted. I thought it'd be better all around if one of us got some sleep. Now I know to get him before I hit my wall. Ah well, the joy outweighs the pain 10-fold!

#11 of 72 Old 03-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
@forestlover75 I've had milk blisters a few times and I always just lanced them. Especially if there was a clogged duct behind the pore. Immediate relief.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#12 of 72 Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I've never had one that nursed all the time- that WOULD be intense! I'm not breastfeeding this time, but I have a feeling this little guy would have been my first marathon nurser though. He eats three-four ounces every two hours and gets instantly angry if he doesn't get it RIGHT NOW. And, honestly, I think he would eat more often if he stayed awake more. he is growing like crazy and not spitting it back up, so I guess it's okay.

I hope your nipples heal quickly! It's so, so hard to nurse through pain. You'll feel like superwoman after you get through it though! Breastfeeding gets so much better with time. I'm looking forward to having another shot at it with the next baby....

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#13 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Well, I already love nursing. It's a little painful due to my large breasts and flat nipples and both of our newness to the whole thing but I know the pain will be worth it. My current issue is that he's still so new that he just wants to sleep allllll the time, especially at the breast. I've done a lot to try to stimulate him and get him wide awake before I nurse but he pretty much never fails to fall asleep during feedings. Despite that, he's pooping and peeing a ton so I'm reassured that he's getting something even if he only feeds for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Is this a normal problem to have? I'm scared that I'll dehydrate/starve him if I don't get him to eat more.

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#14 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Not to worry @bren94 , totally normal and baby won't starve. This graphic might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425860948139.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	17313  

Me & him
Loving our boys,

and missing our babes

#15 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Those first few days when it's just colostrum and baby is adjusting, this is normal. After your milk comes in you'll want to wake him every couple hours in the daytime if he's still a sleepy baby; sometimes I have to get baby down to just diaper and rub her feet, blow a little air on her face, to get rouse her to eat. Some babies are just sleepy and content and need some encouragement, and if yours is, count your blessings!

#16 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Our newest member is over 3 weeks old and still falls asleep while eating. He also doesn't spend much more than 5 minutes on each side before it's totally drained. I'm thinking that the advice that they spend 20-30 minutes on each side doesn't apply in every case.
gabeyho likes this.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#17 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

If baby's pooping and peeing, you're fine.

gabeyho likes this.

#18 of 72 Old 03-08-2015, 09:48 PM

That's right, too, @Valerie11 . Some babies are more efficient nursers than others. I have had a couple of slow nursers, but the rest have been fast and efficient.

#19 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I think mines a slow poke. He just LOVES nursing. Now that there's a ton of milk, I'm hoping he'll give me a break. We'll see...got a 3 hour stretch tonight, so that was nice

#20 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Although I am mostly pumping, I thought this would be a good thread to ask. I have a hard lump on the lower part of my breast that is pretty painful and my output has gone way down on that side. I am guessing this is a plunged duct of some kind. How do I get rid of it if I'm not nursing? I don't see any blisters or blockages on the actual nipple yet...

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

Pregnant with #2 - Due Date 12/15/2016

#21 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Sounds like a clogged duct. If you can, get on all fours and pump that breast. The gravity helps even though you might feel like a cow.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#22 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Pumping on all fours should help, also hand expressing in the shower, using a heating pad or rice sock on the area before pumping, massaging while pumping, and if you have a big, wide tooth comb, get it all soapy in the shower and massage the clogged area with the comb, long strokes toward your nipple.

But the fastest way to clear a clogged duct, according to my LC (I didn't end up doing this because massage and heat cleared mine quickly) is a castor oil pack. Soak a small rag in castor oil, wring it out a bit so it isn't dripping, fold it up to the size of the clogged area, then cover with Saran Wrap (to keep the rag in place and minimize mess), then put heat on it (hot water bottle, rice sock, whatever) for 20 minutes. You can put the rag in a ziploc bag and reuse it if you need to. Might need to repeat a couple of times, but it apparently works really well.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#23 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Ah I will try these things.. I tried to hand express in the shower and could barely get any out so that worried me.

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#24 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Thank you guys! Just pumping all fours got rid of it. I felt ridiculous but i just got double what I usually get so maybe I will keep doing that lol

Valerie11 likes this.

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#25 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM

I've never been able to hand express much either.

#26 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Alivewithyou, how's it going nursing? Any better?
#27 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
I've never been able to hand express much either.
Ditto.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#28 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
Alivewithyou, how's it going nursing? Any better?
Unfortunately I am only pumping now and supplementing with formula as well. I had a lot of anxiety centered around not being able to know if she was getting enough especially since she was dropping weight so I chose for my sanity to switch to bottles. She gets about half breast milk and half formula since I only pump about 1-1.5oz per session. I am taking a supplement that will hopefully help up my supply but if not I will just keep going until my body doesn't let me anymore. t did nurse her the other day but more for bonding than actual feeding since I don't trust my body...

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

#29 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
Unfortunately I am only pumping now and supplementing with formula as well. I had a lot of anxiety centered around not being able to know if she was getting enough especially since she was dropping weight so I chose for my sanity to switch to bottles. She gets about half breast milk and half formula since I only pump about 1-1.5oz per session. I am taking a supplement that will hopefully help up my supply but if not I will just keep going until my body doesn't let me anymore. t did nurse her the other day but more for bonding than actual feeding since I don't trust my body...
Lots of women on the essential oil page I am on have had great success increasing supply with this: http://scentsablehealth.com/?cart-pa...ly-support-2oz

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#30 of 72 Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks I will take a look.

Charli (DD 2/13/2015)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page