House Calls for newborn well child check ups... - Mothering Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By forestlover75
  • 1 Post By bren94

#1 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
House Calls for newborn well child check ups...

Hoping there is such a thing!

We were hoping to not have to take her out in the car for at least 6 weeks, but longer if possible.

The only two things pulling us out faster than that are this need for a check-up, and to get her social security number (we're on foodstamps, and due to slowness on recertification, we have to have her social security number before we're allocated some funds... and we need the funds BAD!)

Wouldn't it be awesome if house calls for newborns were a standard, given the germs that fill those doctor offices?

Dare to dream, ladies. Dare to dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
There is a family doc near us who does, but not sure if he goes as far as you- Dr. David Slack through Valley Medical in Easthampton. He works with my midwives often, and I know they live up near you in Montague and Wendell, and serve moms in that area, so maybe he does...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
happyday8598 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Good to know! I'll give him a call... that would be really really great.

#4 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Yes, I also wish they made housecalls. Last time they wouldn't even let me leave the hospital without scheduling a pediatric appointment. Then, when I left, I cancelled the appointment and I think we maybe went a couple of times in the first year. I didn't see the point, just so that they could weigh and measure him? This time, I unfortunately am using our family MD for this little guy and they keep asking me to come in. And I'm worried that if I'm like "What is the point?" they will call CPS or something.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#5 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I'm with you, @Valerie11 , I don't really see the point and I only go so that The baby has a file somewhere and I have a relationship with a doctor if there's an illness or accident or something. I don't see the point in taking a tiny baby into a germy waiting room with sick kids just for a weight check. My midwives cover the first six weeks of care, then I'll probably go in once just to establish a file, then probably won't go again for at least six months unless it's needed.

I really wish more doctors did house calls, especially for newborn checks.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#6 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not in any rush to make an appointment, but also have heard stories of cps getting involved for not having a check up. I don't personally know anybody in these stories, but the fear has been instilled.

We had an unassisted birth, so so far for the both of us I'm using my intuition that we're all healthy and happy and harmonious! She's growing, she's latching, she's smiling, she's sleeping, she's pooping... she's GOOD!! Please don't risk me fucking this rhythm up with a check in to tell me what I already know.

#7 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Last baby I was SOOO paranoid about whooping cough. I didn't want to take the baby out anywhere for the first six months. This time I'm more relaxed about it. I've since read actual accounts of how to treat it and that breastfeeding and vitamin C helps. Plus I had a DTAP shot about a year before I got pregnant, so I know that at least one strain is covered (supposedly, haven't actually had my titers checked, though). I know the first time he has a fever, I will freak out, though. There's something about babies with fevers that just bothers me so much more than when it's me or an older child.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#8 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I do the one they "make" you do to leave the hospital, and the two week one because that's when they do the PKU test. Honestly, I could care less about any of these visits, or the PKU testing, but I go because I too am afraid of being "reported." How freaking screwed up is that?!?!?! So much for land of the free, huh? It's totally maddening, but you have to play the game.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#9 of 16 Old 03-04-2015, 04:30 PM

@happyday8598 , Dr. Slack just came by for our check-in and he's cool. He did tell me to get a standard hearing test and to schedule an in office visit a few weeks down the road. When I asked his thoughts on vaccination, he suggested I read Dr. Sears to decide what I'd like to do, so my sense is that he is very low-key. I would not expect a report to DCF unless there was something gravely dangerous going on.. I asked if he goes to Shutesbury, and he said "I have before". I told him that I gave you his name.

#10 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

@forestlover75 - thank you for the follow up. I'm going to double check with my insurance, but it looks like they cover him! How wonderful! Here's hoping!
You got a healthy little man?
Thank you, again! I owe you a drink when we're drinking again!

#11 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My ped does newborn house calls ( and takes my insurance) but she charges an extra $200 for it that insurance doesn't touch.
#12 of 16 Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM

@heatbrown , wow I feel lucky that our doc didn't charge anything extra! I think it's a labor of love for him. He says he makes house calls for the very old and very young. And he will be gone the next two weeks because he works at a clinic in Haiti.
@happyday8598 , he is a healthy little man. Maintained his birthweight at his 3 day visit! He actually had breathing problems at birth because he had a mucous plug lodged in his breath way. It took the midwives some time to figure out that was the problem, so there was a pretty intense (4 minute) resuscitation. Thankfully through those harrowing moments his heart rate stayed steady, and once they got that mucous out he was fine. I had a moment of sheer terror, but instantly return to trust, and proclaimed to the Universe that this wasn't the way the story was going to end. Thankfully the Universe listened.

#13 of 16 Old 03-07-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, Forest. I can only imagine your fear! I'm glad you found the ability to trust in the moment, and the greater plan. I'm even more glad that he's a happy, healthy little critter today!

Oh, the love I feel for all of us mamas is so immense, even though we're really all strangers. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I imagine all of you out there, probably also awake, and feel such a connection. So thankful for this forum.

#14 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My GP doesn't do house calls, but she does have newborns follow the same protocol she has anyone with a fever follow... stay in your car until they call you, then go up and the nurse lets you in the backdoor. No waiting room. At our first visit, the nurse also said she Lysoled every inch of that exam room before we came in. I have zero worries about picking something up at my doctor's office. It's my own little germ carriers (aka big brothers) that keep giving my baby colds. We're on cold #3 . No fever or anything serious as of yet. RSV has hit two babies at church, so I'm watching for that.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
in February '15
#15 of 16 Old 04-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Omg what are some of your baby names???
#16 of 16 Old 04-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisPinkv View Post
Omg what are some of your baby names???

What do you mean by that?

jodieanneanton likes this.

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page