Mothering Forum banner

Measuring ahead?

908 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LilyTiger 
#1 ·
Am I correct in thinking that if there's no evidence of extra fluid or that baby is extra large there's no real concern about measuring ahead? I measured at 28 weeks today (at 25 weeks) but had a totally normal ultrasound as well. Nothing to worry about, right? Just measurement error or position of babe?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I guess reassurance would be nice.

#2 ·
I have always measured ahead about 4 cm and there have never been issues. My DD was 8lb 4oz at 2 days before her due date, my DS was 7lb12oz at 5 days before his due date. I have never read or heard anything negative about measuring ahead, I just believe that I grow big healthy babies who come out when they are ready. Good luck!

#3 ·
Thanks! That's pretty much my thought. I wouldn't do anything like induction or anything anyway. I guess I was just thinking that the GD test is coming up in a few weeks and was connecting the two in my mind. Hopefully that's clear and this baby is just positioned big. My daughter was 7lb 6oz at 41 weeks, so I don't make huge babies (though that's an admittedly small sample size).

#4 ·
Hahahaha, ok, more anxiety-driven posting. I'm still measuring about 3 weeks ahead and at the last ultrasound (at 25 weeks) baby was in the 81st percentile for weight. I know both those measurements can be wildly off, though my midwife (who is not worried at all) did say the babe is probably over the 50th percentile taking all those things together. I'm not so much worried about a big baby as I am the fact that my daughter was posterior and my midwife said that increases the chances this one will be too. She also said stuff like Spinning Babies doesn't actually help at all. Boo. Anyway, anyone have any positive experiences with above average posterior babies? I'm sort of just expecting the worst in the hope that baby will be totally normal sized and anterior and I'll be pleasantly surprised during labor. But any suggestions would be helpful too. :)

(I'm assuming a great chance of a posterior baby because I have a tilted uterus, which apparently makes that more likely. I realize that this is a big assumption.)

#5 ·
I also have an extremely retroverted and retroflexed uterus when not pregnant (so not only tilted backward, but it also kind of bends backward on itself, too). Because of this, I ALWAYS have anterior placentas due to the way my embryos implant. Anterior placenta does encourage occiput posterior babies because they like to snuggle into the placenta.

Anyway... my first one was posterior in labor (rotated from ROA to OP after my water broke and got engaged in the pelvis OP). I wound up with a cesarean with him after trying to push him out for over 3 hours. *** ***.

My second baby, however, was posterior to start labor, but when I got out of the shower, she rotated anterior!!! I am so glad my membranes remained intact and I had a ton of fluid so that she could rotate so easily... back labor is no fun. So she rotated anterior mid-labor and was easily born-- 9 lb 8 oz. My VBAC!

My third one-- I was SOOOOOO careful about fetal positioning in pregnancy. I always sat on my birth ball or a stool and leaned forward. Never couch sitting. I would do knee chest hands and knees a lot to encourage her to stay anterior. She was my fastest labor (about 4 hours) and born easily... like 4 pushing contractions.

I think spinning babies does have some merit. :)

Good luck. I was measuring 3 cm ahead at my 24 week appt, but last week at 28 weeks, I was only 1 cm ahead... (different midwife measuring though!).

#6 ·
@Chapsie, you totally reminded me to blow up my yoga ball! I have two and I really need one for work and one for home. I don't know why I didn't even think of it, but that would help on multiple fronts.

I don't discount spinning babies entirely either. I've just heard from two separate midwives with long histories in the natural birth community that it doesn't seem to have much effect. My midwife today gave a pretty convincing explanation for why, but of course I can't remember it enough to replicate it. Anyway, I made it through a tough posterior birth last time and I know I can do it again. I was just HOPING maybe I wouldn't have to. And that's still a possibility, so I probably shouldn't anticipate trouble before it gets here. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.