Post Partum Thread! - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By writermama12

#1 of 13 Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Post Partum Thread!

How are people handling the post partum period? How is feeding/sleeping/adjusting to life with a newborn going?

For me, things are pretty good. The second time around feels a bit easier. I don't feel as anxious. I can't tell if this baby is more mellow than the first or if I just feel more mellow. He doesn't cry that often and he sleeps better. This time I am just tucking him into bed with me and it has helped with the nursing and sleeping. Last time around I was too nervous to cosleep the first few months. I actually have to wake this baby up to eat, which I NEVER had to do with my first...

Physically, I still feel really sore and tired. My butt hurts if I sit too long, so I've been trying to lie down as much as possible. I did have a small tear and stitches , but again, things seem better than last time.

My big challenge is transitioning a very excited active toddler to being a sibling. Anyone have advice for me? Poor guy seems happy about the baby, but a bit discombobulated. I'm trying to cuddle him a lot and get him to help with small tasks with the baby. He's just so physical though...his baby hugs turn into smothers and it's a bit nerve wracking! He wants to hold the baby and take off his hat and kiss him. Very sweet, but he's still not very coordinated and can be aggressive. He's also saying no to us constantly. My husband has been caring for him the majority of the time and I worry he's going to lose his patience. I'm trying to remember this is a big transition for all of us and to go easy and take things a day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I'm having my baby next week and was wondering if if may feel easier than the first. Good to know. I don't have any toddler advice as I kept reading your post thinking you'd have some. I too have a toddler and plan to cuddle him much but definitely there must be a transition for them. Glad you are well.
#3 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think everyone deals with it differently. All it takes is time to adjust and for the toddler to feel safe and like nothing else HUGE is about to land. I didn't have much space or time to cuddle with the toddler in the very beginning, but once I could sit downstairs and nurse, each time I did so I would also read the toddler a book while nursing. It was special time, even though he shared it with baby. It would have been to much for my family for me to set aside alone time with the toddler specifically...I wouldn't have eaten or slept or showered with that kind of pressure. DH spent TONS of one on one time with toddler and I would cuddle/read several times a day. Things settled down after about a month. Good luck!
tracyamber likes this.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13) and our first, beloved DD('15). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our last rainbow baby January 2018. MMC Saorise Mar at 13 weeks will always be in our hearts. <3

#4 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Writermama! That is encouraging. My toddler seems mostly ok, but extra sensitive... It makes me feel so bad when I have to tell him not to hug the baby because he's getting rough, or when I have to lie down or attend to the baby instead of cuddle with him, when I know he needs me. I am trying my best though. I know this is a balancing act we will get the hang of eventually. It just takes time. My husband has been giving him lots of attention so that's great. I don't know what I'd do without him!
#5 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a lot of nursing and holding babe in the ringsling. I think it helped my older dd when we were reading/playing/snuggling because the babe was kind of tucked in and not so prominent. It all gets much better!
#6 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This first week has been pretty great! Levi nurses abut every 1.5 - 2 hours around the clock and is such a snuggler when not nursing. He has periods of wakefulness that last about 20 - 30 min and he is so calm and observant. My bleeding is pretty scant now (8 days pp) unless I overdo it. My daughter will be 3 next week and we are having a very low key party. She's excited for donuts. For those with toddlers/preschoolers, how are your kids adjusting? My older boys are all smitten with their baby brother, but having a new baby in the house is nothing new for them. My daughter is thrilled with her title of big sister, but we'll see how she feels in a month when the novelty has worn off. Hopefully she is still thrilled about being big sister.
#7 of 13 Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
2 days PP here and doing really well.
I nurses my 15mo and NB at the same time today, it made me feel pretty good

I am rather sore down there. But not too bad. I had a tiny tear they put 3 stiches in. MWs came out to check on us today. Snipped babys tung tie, it wasn't bad, but it was slowing her down. They also checked my stiches and said it's already healing very well. I had been worried about handling after pains because they kicked my butt with my first. I think a number of things are playing into them being so slight this time around.

Anyone do/doing herb baths? I took one after I had her. Now I'm fixing to take another one. They said I should take a good soak every day for at least a week if I can. I've also got some herb stuff for my peri bottle, I can tell it's helping. Feels better then dermoplast IMO... I haven't had a BM yet, I'm hoping this bath will get me relaxed enoug to help with that.

Hope all is well with the PP mamas.
#8 of 13 Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oklafarm - Why do you think afterpains are not so bad this time? I also expected the worst as they were terrible last time. But I didn't need pain meds for them this time and couldn't figure out why?

And I didn't know baths were ok! I may have to take one soon.

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and expecting a new little boy end of January 2015!  
#9 of 13 Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi all, Some aspects of life with a newborn are much harder than I planned/expected but my physical recovery has been swift and much easier than last time as well...after pains were only really bad the first day and now on my 2nd day PP, they are bearable with only a heating pad and Motrin. But I am up and a part of the family already, in small ways.

Breastfeeding has been more of an adventure, but not nearly as painful...yet. I know that might change. My milk came in at the end of my first PP day, and now my breasts are totally engorged, which always happens. I was expecting it this time and have been very good about only feeding baby from one breast for many feeds in a row so to discourage over production and forceful let down. So far so good! No Niagara falls in baby's face!!!! But it seems Gwen might have a gagging/silent reflux issue which isn't fun.

I haven't slept more than a few hours in the past three days. THAT is one of the hardest bits. Gwen has not been liking being on her back, and will awaken soon after if I put her on the bed next to me. So I've been trying to sleep sitting up with her on my chest, which only works for very short periods and only because I am beyond tired. She prefers lying on her side right next to me. I let her do it after nursing to sleep sometimes but SIDS is in the back of my mind...I don't know if that is really a problem for a cosleepnig baby right next to me or if it is really about crib babies. I've been trying to have skin to skin time for a few hours a day, which is lovely.

My youngest is 22 months old and is fascinated my baby Gwen. He wants to hold her, carry her, kiss her and smack her all the time. He is obsessed with "his new baby". He has been tandeming and sometimes it is hard to handle both kids' needs at once and keep him from accidentally loving Gwen too hard. My 4 yo is great with her though!!!!

Overall, it has been a good transition, a little chaotic at times but good.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13) and our first, beloved DD('15). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our last rainbow baby January 2018. MMC Saorise Mar at 13 weeks will always be in our hearts. <3
#10 of 13 Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
writermama -

This baby and all of my previous ones have co-slept on their sides facing me. In fact, mine is currently snoozing that way as we speak. It also helps them pawing at me in the middle of the night when hungry.

Just make sure your bed is not super soft and a blanket does not go up them more than their waist.

Frankly, our ped even said it was ok for baby to sleep on his tummy, but I would not feel comfortable co-sleeping with him that way. But I've never had a baby roll from side to tummy while sleeping. And breastfeeding moms are supposedly extremely aware of baby position and needs while sleeping.

Get some sleep mama!!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and expecting a new little boy end of January 2015!  
#11 of 13 Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ugh kinda tired tonight. I've been wrangling both my girls on my own for the past few hours, and my toddler has wanted to nurse most of that time. It's gone pretty well tho.

I think not having as much pain this time around has a few factors behind it. I really took care of my self this time. I was so sick with my first during the whole pregnancy a simple walk was all I could take on. I took really good supplements, and was able to stay rather active right until the end. I was also exstreamly relaxed my entire labor. There was only 15 or so contractions in that I wasn't able to just relax and breath threw. Transition only lasted like 2 hours. So I'm sure not fighting my body was a big help.
In a nut shell, nutrition, activity before hand, and relaxation during labor.

My midwife actually cleaned my tub, and ran the first herb bath for me. It was awesome.
#12 of 13 Old 02-05-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Bumping this thread back to the top.

My postpartum recovery was pretty mellow, I feel very lucky. My stitches seem to have healed well and my body is pretty close to being back to what it was before pregnancy. I wasn't really constipated and stopped taking ibuprofen for afterpains quickly...

But now, more than two weeks postpartum, I have a sharp pain on my right side, right above my ovary. I feel it throughout the day, but it becomes more intense when I go number two. I don't think it's constipation as my stool seems soft enough. Anyway. I have looked it up online and of course every google result is so scary. Has anyone experienced this? Should I talk to my doctor?

So far I can manage. I don't want to go to the doctor with a tiny baby for no reason. I had this type of pain before and they kept me in the hospital for fourteen hours, just to make sure. There had been cases of appendecitis so they wouldn't send me home, but then it turned out to be nothing. Doing this while my daughter is nursing is not really an option right now.
#13 of 13 Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweetface View Post
Bumping this thread back to the top.

My postpartum recovery was pretty mellow, I feel very lucky. My stitches seem to have healed well and my body is pretty close to being back to what it was before pregnancy. I wasn't really constipated and stopped taking ibuprofen for afterpains quickly...

But now, more than two weeks postpartum, I have a sharp pain on my right side, right above my ovary. I feel it throughout the day, but it becomes more intense when I go number two. I don't think it's constipation as my stool seems soft enough. Anyway. I have looked it up online and of course every google result is so scary. Has anyone experienced this? Should I talk to my doctor?

So far I can manage. I don't want to go to the doctor with a tiny baby for no reason. I had this type of pain before and they kept me in the hospital for fourteen hours, just to make sure. There had been cases of appendecitis so they wouldn't send me home, but then it turned out to be nothing. Doing this while my daughter is nursing is not really an option right now.
I could just be a ligament or muscle around your uterus that is hurting. I feel a pain on my mid-left side right in front- and it's usually if i'm walking around or doing too much. If I tie a scarf around my waist for support it helps too. I think the muscles and ligaments are just super weak and need some time to go back to their right places.

I had a Bengkung Belly Bind done for a couple of days and that was awesome and supportive. I didn't feel like my body was falling out of itself and my muscles were reinforced by it so when I needed to move it didn't strain my body as much.

I didn't have any stitches, but I notice if i'm up doing too much the bleeding picks up a little bit, and I think it's just from the "skid mark" from stretching on my perineum. But it will be nice when all bleeding has stopped, but for now, it's a gentle reminder to take it slow and rest while you get the chance.

(My baby was born 1/25 so he is 1week and 5 days now.)

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on the way January 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page