Levi's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Levi's Birth Story

Levi’s Birth Story (short version)

I woke up at 3am on January 15th, 2015 to use the bathroom. Again. Several times that night I had to use the restroom, but this time I was awoken by the increased discomfort in my back and hips. Though that wasn’t anything new either. That had been going on for a good week or two (the waking up because of painful hips). But this time, as I was washing my hands, I noticed that I was definitely contracting with very frequent contractions. I decided to time them and over the next 10 minutes found they were coming every 2-3 minutes. Whoa! Another few minutes later and I found I needed to breathe through them. Knowing I tend to go very quickly, it was now 3:30am and I decided to wake up P (husband), let A (sister) know that we were heading over to the hospital, and asked M (P’s mom) to come over to be with our kidlets.

We got to the hospital and checked in by 4:20am and I got in the tub. Right before that the nurse checked me and confirmed I was 5cm and definitely going to stay. While in the tub, I found that while the jacuzzi jets felt nice between contractions, they were actually quite painful during contractions. And then there was finding a comfortable position. Most of each contraction could be felt in my back this time and I couldn’t think of a compatible position with the telemetry monitoring unit that was being held on my belly for the next 20 minutes. It was okay though because for the most part, I felt semi-conversational. And then…I wasn’t. Then I found myself praying with each contraction. The sensations in my back were just so intense. I was on my knees and resting my head on a rolled up pillow on the side of the tub, praying with each contraction for strength. I don’t know how much time had passed at this point, but I was feeling a lot of pressure and wanted to push. I had kind of mumbled I felt like pushing, which wasn’t clearly heard by P and A, so when they thought I said I wanted someone to push on my back, I yelled out “NO! I want to push!” So I got out of the tub, onto my hands and knees on the bed, and started to push. The nurse said I was at an 8, but I knew my baby’s head was too low to only be an 8. I knew he was *right* there. The on-call OB, Dr. P, asked me to turn around so she could catch my babe, so the nurse raised the head of my bed and I put the pillows up so I could lean on them, so leaning on the bed, while on my knees, I began pushing. A few moments later there was a big POP! and my water broke. Then down came my baby’s head like a freight train and with a few screams, out came my babe. First his head, then a shoulder, then his other shoulder, and finally he slipped out the rest of the way. It was a challenging pushing stage for me, somewhat comparable to the birth of T (my 9 pounder), but I did it and without any tearing! Dr. P never touched me during the pushing and was only very encouraging. Afterwards, she slipped my babe between my legs to me, where we discovered we had a son! Our 5th child is our 4th son! A helped me back over onto my back and I marveled at the beautiful boy I held in my arms. From that point we waited until the cord stopped pulsing (Dr. P made very sure) and, when I was ready, I pushed out my placenta. And that was that. The nurse was very respectful in waiting to weigh and measure until I was good and ready. My sweet son weighed in at 8 pounds 4 ounces and measuring 20 inches long. My 2nd largest babe!

My entire birth experience this time was just amazing. After two homebirths (that followed two previous hospital births), one midwife assisted and the other unassisted, I was very nervous as to what to expect from the hospital and staff. But it was good. It was more than good. It was as close to a homebirth in the hospital as I could have possibly imagined. I am so thankful to have had this tender reminder that there are good obstetricians who practice good care.

Welcome to the world, my precious Levi Jacob!

Last edited by GreenMamma; 01-17-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What a wonderful birth! Thank you for sharing! I feel like there were some parallels to my own birth -- i also had back labor...and my waters broke right at the end too, and man was it like a freight train after that! Congratulations on your 5th!!
#3 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great story! Congratulations! I love how you naturally found a good pushing position, and they kept their hands off.

What time did you finally deliver? (As I sit here at 6.5cm with third baby, not in active labor yet. Trying to anticipate a quick dash to the birth center once things start.)

#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
LittleBearBear - 5:50am Total labor time was 2 hours and 50 minutes. My shortest labor was 1.5 hours and my longest 3.5 hours, so this one was right in the middle. If I were you, I would plan a VERY fast birth.

Operamama - Aren't you so glad your waters waited to break until the end? 2 of my 5 had labor start with waters breaking and those were just like being in transition the whole time (thankfully those were my two shortest labors!)
#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congratulations GreenMamma and welcome to our wonderful and mysterious world, Levi!! Levi is a beautiful name.

Mom to a sweet, highly sensitive boy (6/2009) and our baby girl (1/2015).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Congratulations!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page