I had a daughter! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a daughter!

Trying to give a quick update for all the curious ones who were following my situation (especially the ones in similar shoes like @ajoye ).
I really don't have much time to type. DH is watching our precious new creature for a few minutes. It has been really difficult to let go off her as I transition into motherhood, she is magical.

My labor was over 24 hours. I tried as hard as I could to get my baby to come out on her own, but she was pretty stubbornly happy in there. My doula and I walked to the hospital on Monday morning for a 6:45AM scheduled induction. By that point I was sort of giddy to get the baby out. It was pretty surreal to check in without ooing and contracting. They put me on Pitocin. A couple hours later a nurse mentioned that I could perhaps talk to my doctor about breaking my waters to get me going and give us the potential option of cutting me off the Pitocin if my body took over.
I spent most of my labor in the birthing tub, the pain was a big surprise. My doula was phenomenal and DH was too. It took me about 21 hours to get dilated to 10cm so by the time I had to push I had almost no energy left. I spent about three hours using the squat bar with the help of a sheet, DH, my doula and some nurses. By that point I was completely delirious. I couldn't see the end of it, my contractions became unusually spaced out (5 to 10 minutes apart - my doctor had never seen anything like it). They put me back onthe Pitocin and also gave me an I.V. because my baby's heart rate was getting low, they eventually brought out oxygen as well. At the end a team of nurses came in, my doctor brought out a sponge-like succion cup device (I am so out of it I can't even remember the name of it) and helped my baby out.
I was handed my baby as she was still halfway inside me and got to pull her out myself. We didn't know the gender so DH declared "It's a little girl!".

She weighed 8 pounds and 7 ounces. She is magnificent.

I am so lucky to have had the doctor and doula I had. My doula kept me on track and reminded me at the end that I successfully managed to have the three main highlighted parts of my birthplan respected: NO DRUGS, NO EPISIOTMY, NO C-SECTION, despite the odds, despite the labor being so intense for over a day.

DH and I are blissed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
congrats, way to go!!! I am in awe of your strength!

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
DDCC - Congratulations on the (AMAZING!!) birth of your daughter!! I read your last thread and have been waiting for a post! Wow, I'm just in awe.

Mama
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!

#4 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Congrats Shweetface! I've been thinking of you and wondering how it went. That's awesome that your main wishes for the birth were respected. I'm so glad you are feeling good about how it went and that you have your beautiful daughter to hold! I have an induction scheduled for next week, but I'm still hoping something will happen before then. However, your story gives me hope that even if I need the induction, I can maybe still avoid the epidural or a c-section too!
#5 of 11 Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Due Date Crashing from December)

Hi @Shweetface ! I'm so glad to hear that things went well. You are such a strong mama! Congratulations on your bundle!

Your birth team and hospital (birth pool! WOW!) sound wonderful and very supportive of your wishes. I'm so happy for you!
#6 of 11 Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So excited for you! I've been waiting to see your announcement after all the anxious waiting for labor. Congratulations, mama!!
#7 of 11 Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That is so terrific! I agree that it sounds like you had a very respectful, supportive birth team. Good job mama! Enjoy this precious time with your sweet daughter!
#8 of 11 Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thank you so much everyone. I am trying to rest now, but I have to admit it is hard. This being our first baby DH and I get worried easily. Our daughter seems to have developed a little jaundice and hasn't peed in two days, meanwhile we are learning breastfeeding together, so there's a lot on our minds at the moment...
@ajoye : Do you have a doula? I really think hiring a doula was the single most important decision I made in preparing for this birth. DH was insanely supportive, but if it had been just him and I laboring in a hospital room I don't know how far we would have come. The nurses at the hospital were all really sweet and helpful, but also busy with keeping track of vital signs and other medical business. The nurse who was on shift while I dilated from 5 to 10 cm (many hours) came from a different approach, so she'd walk in every twenty minutes or so with the fetal monitor or ready to take my blood pressure, or insist on plugging me back to the I.V. I really did think she meant well, but she just had a different touch than what was needed at times. During an especially difficult moment, as DH and I were in this very serious repetitive breathing thing (I was in a lot of pain) and he was pressing my hips as I felt the worst of the contractions, this same nurse walked in with the doppler and I almost broke down, breathing out a meek "please don't!". My doula took her aside and got the nurse to give us five more minutes. I can't tell you how helpful that was.

We also made a CALM and a ROCKIN' playlist. We played very nice quiet music during most of the labor and the other playlist for the end part, when I had nearly nothing left. DH did this thing at the very end where he lined up five of my most favorite songs. I had no idea, so in this moment of despair one of the songs I love most in the world came on and I exclaimed "this is a SIGN!". He didn't have the heart to tell me he'd planned it, but that worked in my favor. Every other song coming on I was like "NO WAY!" and it really got me going.

Good luck to you, @ajoye . I hope you can have a natural labor and if you do get induced, I hope yours is much shorter than my own.
#9 of 11 Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow! You rock mama I'm so glad you had such good support there for you. It makes a world of difference that's for sure. And how cool of your hubby to do that to your playlist.
#10 of 11 Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Shweetface - great to hear your story!! It mimics my first birth a lot with the length and then the very arduous and long pushing phase where I was also sooo low on energy, and the contractions spaced themselves 5-10 mins apart because I think my body was just physically done. But yes, that was a first birth, and the births after have been so much easier... just so you can look ahead.

Keep feeding as much as you can to get your supply going! It is also hard to tell when a newborn girl pees, but our lactation consultant recommended we put a strip of toilet paper right inside the diaper so you can actually tell, because they pee so little.

And jaundice peaks around day 4 or 5 before it lessens, but it only flushes out through baby poops (and of course lights at the hospital). So get past the meconium phase, into the green transitional poop phase, and into the yellow breastmilk poop phase. As the bilirubin is flushing out, poops will still be dark. We had major issues with bilirubin with out first because he was not latching well and getting enough milk, so do keep an eye on this! Or find a local lactation consultant for a check-in if you're not sure.

I'm so glad you're holding baby girl in your arms!! It's a wonderful adventure.

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and expecting a new little boy end of January 2015!  
#11 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
No doula unfortunately. We decided we could do it all on our own with my husband as coach, but I'm definitely seeing the benefit of another person to run interference. Oh well. Thanks for the good thoughts, I'll definitely keep you posted! The induction is scheduled for Wednesday unless I go into labor before then. So far I've been having contractions but it keeps fizzling out.
Good idea to have different playlists! I have no idea what kind of music I'll want during labor so having a couple of options sounds like a great plan.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page