Gwendolyn's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Gwendolyn's Birth Story

She was 6lbs, 15oz, and 18 1/2 inches long.

Right around 8am on the 22nd I started having contractions that made me think "hey maybe this is the real deal" tight and painful in the lower belly, and lower back. But I was also sore from coughing, and had been having lower back pain due to gas. So I didn't get too excited. I did start timing them. Around 8:40 I decided to try the heating pad on my lower back because I really needed more sleep, it worked and I slept threw most of the contractions until noon. (Yeah we keep some odd hours around here) that's when I rolled over and thought there is no way I just peed my self. Used the swab in the birth kit, and sure enough my waters had broken. So I called my mother, told my husband (who was still up even tho he had worked all night) and let the midwives know. As soon as my mom got here DH took a shower and a nap.

At 2:30 I let my midwives know they should head my way. Then woke my husband.

I did most of my laboring in my bedroom. At first on the bed, then on the floor. I was belly down, in a froggy position, hugging a boppy pillow. That was the only way I could stand it. DH and I tried a few other things as labor grew more intense but other positions only made the pain worse. I wanted my hips as open as I could get them, and to be able to fully relax. I hated laboring on the toilet, so going to the bathroom sucked but I know it helps so I just accepted it as part of it.

My body was swiftly making progress by the time my midwives got to my house. It was around 3:30 then. My world shrunk to my husband who had become part of my focus, my main midwife, and my own body. I focused on staying relaxed and using my breathing to ride each contraction out, while they both talked me threw it and offered encouragement. My midwife took my BP and listened to baby, then waited for an opening to check me. She asked if I wanted to know what she felt. 7. A number had never sounded so good.
With the more intense contractions I could actually feel my cervix stretching open. That was the most trippy feeling of my life.

I panicked a little when the contractions changed. But then came the urge to push. MW gave me some outlines and told me to go with my body.
I could no longer stay all the way on the floor. I got on my hands and knees, then squatted holding onto the edge of my bed. Then I was leaning in my husbands arms with my face buried in his neck, and went back to my knees.
I had to work hard on those pushes. I tried to pace my self, but I could not slow my body down. I crammed a bunch into the 10 or 12 minutes it took to get her out.

They handed her up between my legs and helped me sit down. I was overjoyed. I was also in shock over how fast she had come. It was 5:23pm.

(Trying to upload pic, but no luck)

Last edited by OklaFarmMama; 01-24-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Congratulations! Crashing from the July DDC, but actually crashing in from the October 2013 ddc since that's how I know you! your Oct '13 baby already has a little sibling! Wonderful!!!
#3 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks it was mostly planed this way, happened a little sooner then we thought it would but that's okay. I'm loving having a newborn again!

#4 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congrats OklaFarmMama!! Hope you are getting lots of rest after all your hard work!

Mom to a sweet, highly sensitive boy (6/2009) and our baby girl (1/2015).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats!! Yay!! Those pushing contractions are intense aren't they?!! I also tried to pace myself but man there's no slowing those down. I hope newborn land is going well for you. They're just so small and gorgeous aren't they? Hugs to you!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and expecting a new little boy end of January 2015!  
#6 of 7 Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Congrats!! Thank you for sharing your story! I was also shocked by how fast my own labor was. Everyone kept telling me things tend to move faster the second time around, but I didn't really believe them! Glad everything went smoothly for you
#7 of 7 Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all
Yes my husband and mother have been helping out a lot. I guess I did more then I should have yesterday, but I got restless.
I'm really savoring all this family time before DH goes back to work. He'll be off a total of 10 days.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page