Postpartum Rest Worldwide - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Postpartum Rest Worldwide

Does this article resonate with anyone else as strongly as it resonates with me right now?? Although hubby is being great and letting me rest, I soooo wish we lived in a culture where people supported the family more, as it sounds like a lot of other cultures do. I hope you all are getting some rest and support!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/ar...practices.html

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and expecting a new little boy end of January 2015!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What an interesting article. My mom just left after having spent three weeks with us cooking and taking care of the baby. All I had to do was nurse the baby. I feel so lucky to have had those three weeks of help. I'm still not 100% physically recovered and hubby just doesn't get it. He tries to be helpful. I really think postpartum help is best done by other women who can relate. I wish we can change the US so that postpartum care becomes a bigger priority. I know so many couples who ended up divorcing within a year or few years of having a baby - it's really hard without the larger community support!

I'm going to start in my own little corner by offering meals and emotional support to recovering moms. ...once I'm fully recovered myself, that is!

Mom to a sweet, highly sensitive boy (6/2009) and our baby girl (1/2015).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 4 Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've read that article before -- it definitely resonates with me. I've really tried to take it easy this time around. The first week I did stay in bed with baby while my husband watched the toddler and looked after me. Since then we've had friends bring us food and help out with the busy toddler. I've been feeling pretty good (2 weeks post partum now) and fighting the urge to jump back into the old routine too quickly. I start to feel lazy, which I know is just our culture's conditioning to always be busy and active. I love those quiet moments with baby best, though. I'm trying to really savor them this time.

#4 of 4 Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely have a hard time with this. Baby is one week old today, and I've been back to essentially regular old routine for about 3-4 days now. Family did bring food over and that is very helpful, but I'm home alone with the 5yo 2.5yo and nb. I try to rest, but at the same time, someone always needs to be fed, changed, cleaned up after, removed from sibling squabbles, etc. Luckily I didn't have any tearing, and I'm not too sore, but it is disappointing when the bleeding picks up again every afternoon. Maybe it is time to move to one of the countries in the article!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page